• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

handheld CB pin broken off in the BNC connector... is drilling my only option?

niceguy71

I've bought several handheld CB's off e-bay and none of them seem to work.. getting sick of it... anyway I saw a review and range test on You Tube Tune of the Midland 75-810 what a fantastic radio so I bought one off E-bay with the rubber ducky antenna it worked great all around the neighborhood. I then went to put on the Cobra HA-TA long range antenna but it would not go one.. I tried forcing it but now way was it going on.... so I tried my 51" Hyshikra long range antenna and same thing... looking in the Midland 75-810 factory ducky antenna I see just a white plastic hole that connects to the BCN connector and in the BNC connector it looks like a solid center??? I think the pin from the antenna is in the BNC connector.... any idea's how to get it out??.... I'm not that handy to pull the whole thing apart and replace the BNC connector and this thing is so small I can't imagine getting this thing apart.... before I drill it, I thought I would ask if anyone else had this problem?? and how did you fix it

gary123

Use a small jewlers type screw driver google Jewlers screwdriver to see a picture.. Many dollar stores sell them. They are really small. You may end up wanting to grind the end to a point. A metal dental pick from a surplus store would also work. Just be gentle "I tried forcing it" is never a good idea with any electronic connectors. your target is to gently pry the broken pin out of the connector. Pay attention to the parts of the connector that are supposed to be there you do not want to damage them. Take a look at a different BNC female connector so you know what the connector should look like.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
SMH, hey I can't imagine much money is involved here so all bets are off, go for whatever you think might work😑

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You got simulcast answers, sounds good to me.

niceguy71

new brainstorm.... what if.... I'm thinking I will take a long range antenna that I normally use anyway ( 16.99 on Amazon and gives me almost 3 to 4 miles) then cut or grind the male pin in the antenna down until I can get the antenna onto the BNC connector.... I wonder if the broken pin and the one I grind down will touch each other and make a connection that would work... any thoughts on this and if I have to send it out to be fixed anyone know where I could mail it?

RFI-EMI-GUY

new brainstorm.... what if.... I'm thinking I will take a long range antenna that I normally use anyway ( 16.99 on Amazon and gives me almost 3 to 4 miles) then cut or grind the male pin in the antenna down until I can get the antenna onto the BNC connector.... I wonder if the broken pin and the one I grind down will touch each other and make a connection that would work... any thoughts on this and if I have to send it out to be fixed anyone know where I could mail it?
You would be far better off carefully removing the broken pin from the BNC female on the radio. You cannot rely on the connection you propose. This is how the connector should appear inside..

30x3-bncpm_03.jpg

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't pay.. for anything else, as I said anything you are thinking or advice you get, all bets are off, go for it, think it out carefully before you do it, you very well might solve this problem. Just don't let the solution cost more than the radio is worth.

prcguy

Don't do that, the male pin needs to sit down inside the spring fingers to make a reliable contact.

niceguy71

You would be far better off carefully removing the broken pin from the BNC female on the radio. You cannot rely on the connection you propose. This is how the connector should appear inside..

30x3-bncpm_03.jpg
wish mine looked like that.... the broken piece is just a little lower than the top and seeing I jammed it in trying to put on another antenna ( before I knew there was something stuck in it) this is not going to go well... about the only thing I could get in that tiny hole is a needle.... I guess the most I have to lose is $42.50 ... ( what I paid after tax and shipping) but the Midland 75-810 radio, hardly ever come on E-bay.. kind of a rare radio... 40 CB channels 40 upper and 40 lower 7 weather channels all in a tini tiny radio that can get out three to 4 miles...

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you try to drill out the pin, you will just destroy the connector. If you can't get hold of the pin to pull it out, replacing the connector is your best choice.

niceguy71

How hard would it be to just replace the BNC female connector on top of the radio? Probably just a nut holding it on, and a soldered connection to the circuit board.

I'd tackle that job, but I'm on the other side of the continent.
I was just looking to see if anyone ever had this happen and what did they do... my radio is TINY! I can't imagine even getting it open without breaking it... I'll fiddle with it and see if I can get it out but thank you MMckenna

niceguy71

If you try to drill out the pin, you will just destroy the connector. If you can't get hold of the pin to pull it out, replacing the connector is your best choice.
I'm sure your right.... I think anything I do will ruin the connector...... just hate to throw a beautiful radio in the trash. I've destroyed and wasted my time on every radio I've ever tried to fix. so not going to waste the time trying to get this apart.
I was just hoping someone had a brilliant idea to get the pin out.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
How hard would it be to just replace the BNC female connector on top of the radio? Probably just a nut holding it on, and a soldered connection to the circuit board.

I'd tackle that job, but I'm on the other side of the continent.
Oh for God's sakes, sometimes you can't see the trees for the forest. I agree.PSX_20230516_202312.jpg

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I have been able to insert a very sharp exacto knife in the slit in the collet holding the pin and gently work the pin out. You may need a knife on both sides. Use the very tip of the knife. Hopefully yours uses a collet to hold the pin.
Good luck!
BB

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I was just looking to see if anyone ever had this happen and what did they do... my radio is TINY! I can't imagine even getting it open without breaking it... I'll fiddle with it and see if I can get it out but thank you MMckenna

Well, it's useless without the antenna, so no loss. Backing the pin out with the knife, as @WA0CBW suggested would be a good option.

wtp

any chance it could be pushed through ?
but to do that you need to see the other side of the connector, and at that point you might as well replace it.

niceguy71

thanks everyone I greatly appreciate the help... that hole is super tiny, nothing I could get in there and pry up.... so I got a 1/64" drill bit and drilled it... tons of metal came out, the metal was nice and soft..... when I looked it was pretty good! so I tried to get my telescoping antenna on. ( it came with a rubber duckie) it went on good..... turning the locking ring was a little tight not out of the norm ... to get it off I had to use pliers.... so I looked at the hole with flashlight and a magnifying glass and looked like there was something at the bottom??? I looked at all my other BNC connectors and could not tell what is normally at the bottom... so I tried it... it will not transmit ... so I said well maybe I need to get that little piece at the bottom so I drilled a little more the antennas go on good now but it still will not transmit.... it should transmit enough to get to another handheld that is a foot away even without an antenna... but it won't now...
so someday when I find a local radio guy I'll drop it off and see what he can do.
I do appreciate the time and thought everyone put into it.

Attachments

• my midland 1.jpg
    my midland 1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 22
  • my midland 2.jpg
    my midland 2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 23

tvengr

Well Known Member
it should transmit enough to get to another handheld that is a foot away
Even without an antenna connected, I would think you should hear the radio at that range. I suspect that there may be more of a problem than just the antenna connector. Transmitting without an antenna connected could possibly have blown the RF output transistor.

niceguy71

Even without an antenna connected, I would think you should hear the radio at that range. I suspect that there may be more of a problem than just the antenna connector. Transmitting without an antenna connected could possibly have blown the RF output transistor.
I had tried to push the antenna on before knowing a pin was broken in there..,. It was working good before that.,. Perhaps I pushed the wire into the circuit board or cracked the board.... I'll open it up later on