Handheld equipment recommendations

Gooberzing

Hello everyone. I keep getting directed to your forums when googling for info, so I decided to join and ask for advise. I’m USMC vet/former LEO with experience using PRCs -117, -119, -148, -152, -153, Bendix Kings, and Motorola XTS 2500. But they were already programmed by Comm or by Sheriffs Office, so I never had to deal with it. I learned from reading here that the programming is a big focal point in regards to choosing a set up to go with due to it’s availability and cost.

So my current question for everyone, initial set up I’m looking for is 2 handhelds for small unit tactics. Range approximately 700 yards and penetrate barriers (ie, buildings vehicles, debris). I’m feeling that UHF is the type I need. Money is worth durability, so not crazy about being in 4 figure range, but understand if I have to prepare and save to it. If I need to elaborate on details needed, let me know.

In the future I’m looking to add two more handhelds, so quantity availability is preferable, so programming comparability is easy too lol.

Also future planning, doing a base unit at the home and car for COC and mobile COC, along with a handheld for long range, so would be VHF in that case. So it would be nice to have same brand VHF units available that use the same programming. But not a must because VHF will come later.

From all the threads here, definitely going to get the HAM license to operate the radios. Thanks everyone for your help. (If there is already a thread for this my mistake, I tried searching keywords for them and didn’t come up with anything to match)

Last edited:

k6cpo

Beyond what you've mentioned above, can you be a bit more specific about how you're going to use these radios? If this is for a business of some sort, amateur (ham) radio is not the place. There are specific FCC regulations prohibiting the use of amateur radio for business purposes. If it is a business, then you should investigate the Land Mobile Radio Service (Part 90.)

Gooberzing

Beyond what you've mentioned above, can you be a bit more specific about how you're going to use these radios? If this is for a business of some sort, amateur (ham) radio is not the place. There are specific FCC regulations prohibiting the use of amateur radio for business purposes. If it is a business, then you should investigate the Land Mobile Radio Service (Part 90.)
No these are just for me and the family. More to teach my wife and eventually the kids the USMC shoot, move, communicate style tactics. I’m just adapting what comm schemes I learned to my families SHTF plan. Better prepared than not 😉. I’ll add it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
An amateur radio license would be required for each individual wanting to use the radios.
That means:
You'd need a license.
Your wife would need her own license.
Each individual child would need their own license.

The test requires technical knowledge. It's not an impossible test, but it takes some studying and understanding.

You know your family best, so you decide if they can handle that.

Your other option is GMRS.
GMRS requires an FCC issued license, but that single license would cover your entire family. That gives you access to a handful of analog UHF frequencies that are shared with others. UHF will fit your needs, with a decent radio, 700 yards, building penetration, etc. won't be a big challenge. It does require specific radios to meet the FCC requirements, most of the Motorola stuff doesn't legally qualify, but there are many acceptable options that are equal.

MURS, Multi Use Radio Service is 5 VHF channels, again shared with others. No FCC paper license required, but the permission to use does require following all the FCC MURS rules.
2 watts only, and has some strict requirements on what hardware you can use.

You can spin your wheels for months trying to sort all this out. One thing I've learned over the years, especially dealing with non-technical users, is that you need to keep it simple. Complex radios will quickly confuse and/or alienate most non-technical users. Keep the radios simple and easy to use. Some very basic GMRS radios will keep most users happy. They don't have the fancy brand names, but they'll work.

sloop

KK4JUG, don't laugh...these are survival techniques. Kids are easier, more eager tp learn those techniques than adults. I have several friends that have taught their kids similar techniques. As far as STHF situations, kids learning these techniques may find them esp. useful in a school shooter situation in saving their (and others) lives. As far as the radios are concerned I would go with the GMRS radios.

K6GBW

Yep, GMRS is the way to go. You can buy decent GMRS radios that are already programmed so you don't really need to do anything other than set the channel and PL tones. For short range work that's the way to go. Look at Midland's radios. For the vehicles and house look at the Midland MXT series. For handheld look at Midland, Motorola, Retevis, and even the DeWalt brands. You can go with Motorola XTS portable radios, but I wouldn't recommend it. They require software to program that can be intimidating to use if you aren't used to it. The software is not cheap! They also require proprietary batteries that can be hard to charge. Most of the civilian GMRS radios can run off of AA batteries in a grid down situation. You may get confused about GMRS vs FRS. To simplify, they are pretty much the same frequencies the only real difference is power. FRS is 2 watts or 0.5 watts depending on the frequency and GMRS can run up to 50 watts. The GMRS requires a no test license that's good for 10 years.

As a side note, none of these options has any kind of security at all. If you want/need security then you will need to look at something like a Motorola DTR 900 MHz radio. They work surprisingly well and they frequency hop. They offer some good security but they are expensive and can't be run on AA batteries.

Last edited:

prcguy

I would also recommend GMRS and since the OP has experience with the Motorola XTS2500 you can get UHF USMC surplus units on eBay. I've got some in the $125-$150 range then put new $27 cases on them and they are working great. For mobiles you can get XTL1500s cheap and run 45w in the car or home base. You will need programming software sometimes available on eBay and also programming cables from the same place.

k6cpo

No these are just for me and the family. More to teach my wife and eventually the kids the USMC shoot, move, communicate style tactics. I’m just adapting what comm schemes I learned to my families SHTF plan. Better prepared than not 😉. I’ll add it.
OK. That makes sense.

As others have mentioned, GMRS is probably your best bet.

Gooberzing

Thanks Sloop, KF0NYL, K6GBW, prcguy, and k6cpo. When the first response was to check GMRS, I was looking at Midland or Rugged, we already have two Ruggeds in our Cam Am and Polaris. I can get basic PPTs for my Sordin and her Comtac to practice with. From my previous jump the gun I have a Peltor PTT for a Motorola XTS, so like prcguy mentioned, I might get a pair later, I saw some sellers offer programming prior to ship as well. Won’t need to XMT on them and just keep them in the armory in with batteries I still have. I liked how durable the 2500 was, got in a fight then foot pursuit with a guy. Heard something banging behind me and after hooking the guy, realized it was my 2500. But a few dents and scraps never stopped it. Definitely am still getting a good HAM radio though. Whether it’s a foreign nation or our own, cell, internet, and satellite service is the first cut to disorganize ppl. Everybody here is going to be key to passing the real news in the world.