HELP! Major problem with ARC6 and Icom R6!

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I'm stumped . . .

I was able to download the contents of my R6 radio into the ARC6 software I purchased yesterday with no problems.

Today, I used the software to edit some of the memory channels I'd programed into the R6, and when the time came to upload the edited information to the R6, none of the information made it into the radio, and even worse, it erased everything I'd programmed manually into my R6 and reset it to what appear to be its factory default settings!

I've tried loading and reloading the R6 several times, but the same thing happens over and over. The R6 display shows "CL IN" when the uploading is supposed to be taking place. When the uploading stops, I get a message in the software window that says "Upload is complete, please switch power off/on." When I turn the R6 off and back on, its display shows "CL ERR."

The software is acting as though it's still a DEMO version, but I've re-entered the two keys Scanner Master sent to me when I downloaded the ARC6 software, checked for updates, and was given a message indicating I've got the current version.

Everything appears to be functioning on both the radio and the ARC6 software, with the exception of the "Upload to Scanner" function.

I've sent a message to Butel's customer service link, and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Any ideas, suggestions, or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
When you got the message to switch off the power, did you disconnect the cord between the R6 and the computer before powering the R6 back on? I use a different package but you MUST disconnect the programming cable from the R6 prior to powering the R6 back on.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
When you got the message to switch off the power, did you disconnect the cord between the R6 and the computer before powering the R6 back on? I use a different package but you MUST disconnect the programming cable from the R6 prior to powering the R6 back on.
Hello, DudleyG.

Disconnecting the programming cable before powering the R6 back on didn't work.

I also checked the "Set" mode to make certain the CI-V address, baud rate, and related data cloning settings were okay, and they seemed to be fine. I also tried setting the baud rate in the software and the R6 at 9600 just in case the "Auto" setting for both was the problem, but that didn't work either.

Thanks for your suggestion . . . I'll keep searching for whatever the problem may be.

I'm hoping I hear back from the Butel customer service people to see what they say.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Only other suggestion is to make a backup copy of the file (that you initially read in from the R6) that has all of your frequencies in it (or just rename it) and create an altogether new file with just two frequencies. For example, if you have an airport near you, put in the tower and approach frequencies in the same bank such as the "A Bank" plus create an edge scan for say 118 to 136 and try to write that to the R6.

If that works, you will know the software and the receiver are ok and that there must be something in your original file that you have been modifying that the receiver doesn't like or there is something the R6 needs that is missing and Butel Software isn't flagging it.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Only other suggestion is to make a backup copy of the file (that you initially read in from the R6) that has all of your frequencies in it (or just rename it) and create an altogether new file with just two frequencies. For example, if you have an airport near you, put in the tower and approach frequencies in the same bank such as the "A Bank" plus create an edge scan for say 118 to 136 and try to write that to the R6.

If that works, you will know the software and the receiver are ok and that there must be something in your original file that you have been modifying that the receiver doesn't like or there is something the R6 needs that is missing and Butel Software isn't flagging it.
Hello again, DudleyG.

It turns out this is a known problem with the ARC6 software.

I did a little more research here on RadioReference and found a Forum string indicating other people are having the very same problem.

As I understand it, the ARC6 software can only handle very small data downloads at a time. Whenever a large download takes place, the R6 radio's memory is erased, and the "CL ERR" (cloning error) message means the R6 radio has been initialized to its factory settings.

Not knowing this, I had approximately 150 memory channels programmed in my R6 radio, which I downloaded into the ARC6 software. I created a file to save that data and made some modifications . . . when the time came to transfer the modified data back into the R6, the software choked and caused the R6 to be reset. This happened every time I tried to download that file.

This is Gommert's advice when that happens:

"If you receive a clone error after uploading data from the ARC5/ARC6/ARC20 then you need to create a default or template file:
  • Connect the receiver and read data from the receiver in the software.
  • Do not make any changes!
  • Save the file with a generic name like default.
  • The next time you want to create a new file FIRST load the default file in the ARC software and then add the new data."
If I'd known this, I would not have purchased the ARC6 software. I probably should have looked into the RT Systems programming software instead.

Thanks for trying to help, DudleyG.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
I use RT Systems software for both my R6 and R2 and send about 400 frequencies to each with no problems. I also use the RT Systems programing cable (which is the same for both the R2 and R6) and it works great.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Hello, DudleyG.

Four hundred frequencies at a time? Wow!, that's good to know.

I'm facing the prospect of rebuilding my R6's memory five or six channels at a time with the ARC6 software . . . with nearly 150 channels to go, that's not going to be a trivial effort.

I think I'll purchase the RT Systems software and try to speed up my new R6 rebuilding project.

Thanks again, Dudley.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
If your copy of Butel Software still works well enough to access your large frequency list, see if you can export from Butel to a CSV file. I just checked and RT Systems Software can import CSV files. The format / field order is set by the R6, so hopefully the exported frequencies should be in the correct order to import into RT Systems Software.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
If your copy of Butel Software still works well enough to access your large frequency list, see if you can export from Butel to a CSV file. I just checked and RT Systems Software can import CSV files. The format / field order is set by the R6, so hopefully the exported frequencies should be in the correct order to import into RT Systems Software.
Great idea, DudleyG!

I've just downloaded the RT Systems software, and I'll see if I can convert that file.

Thanks, again!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
One more thing - the RT Systems Software allows you to modify and/or set all of the menu options including the Advanced Menu options. Be sure to go thru that part of the software and set those things prior to writing to the R6 if you have made any changes directly on the R6. Things like DELAY Time, WX Channel, etc all appear in the software, so check all of them. In other words, everything gets "CLONED" based on what the software knows about including menu settings as well as memory contents.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
One more thing - the RT Systems Software allows you to modify and/or set all of the menu options including the Advanced Menu options. Be sure to go thru that part of the software and set those things prior to writing to the R6 if you have made any changes directly on the R6. Things like DELAY Time, WX Channel, etc all appear in the software, so check all of them. In other words, everything gets "CLONED" based on what the software knows about including menu settings as well as memory contents.
Thanks again, DudleyG!

I just used the RT Systems software to download 41 channels to the R6 with no problems!

I've got some more to learn about this software and some more programming to do, but my R6 is functional again.

Thanks, Dudley . . . you've got a friend in northern New Mexico.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
As I understand it, the ARC6 software can only handle very small data downloads at a time. Whenever a large download takes place, the R6 radio's memory is erased, and the "CL ERR" (cloning error) message means the R6 radio has been initialized to its factory settings.
No this is not correct, ARC6 can download all data that is stored in your R6.
Just make sure that you create a default template (see link I emailed you) and load it before creating a new file. That will make sure the correct specific settings for your version of the R6 are set as there are different R6 versions for different markets.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com