BCD325P2/BCD996P2: HELP PROGRAMMING

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOWDAHELRYA

Im having serious problems with my scanner on Baltimore City PD channels.
I've put in ALL the available frequencies in the APCO band plan AND Trunk frequencies section of Freescan.

The problem is when i set the scanner to a particular channel lets say Northeast District; one particular frequency 851.8750 displays DAT and will not allow any voice to come thru MOST of the time it just hangs on that freq.. Every so often it gets to a freq. 851.XXXX which comes up P25 and i hear sound but I miss alot of broadcasts when DAT reappears.

PLEASE HELP ME

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have a BCD996P2 and monitor Baltimore City Fire and PD without any problem. You only need to enter the control channel and 3 alternate frequencies on a Motorola P25 system. For Baltimore City, those are 853.7000, 853.7375, 853.8750, and 853.9000 Mhz. System type is P25 standard. Use a Motorola 800/900 standard band plan. Baltimore City is presently using 853.8750 as the control channel even though the Radio Reference database shows 853.7375. I am not familiar with Freescan. I use ARC-XT for my programming. If NFM is being displayed instead of the control channel frequency when nothing is being received, you may have a P25 simulcast problem. Give that a try and let me know how it works.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You may be better suited to pay for a PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION here at RR and download what you want to hear until you learn how trunking systems work and can hand program and understand what you are doing.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'd agree that it sounds like you only programmed in the frequencies and entered them into a conventional system. Trunked systems work very differently from conventional ones (here is an article I wrote a decade ago for Monitoring Times, but is still relevant: http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/Un...s/But_I_just_want_to_listen_to_the_Police.pdf).

As mentioned, the easiest way to dip your toe in the trunked system waters is to use some software on your PC that will do much of the work for you. Freescan (FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software) and ProScan (ProScan) are two good options for your model.

A trunked system needs to have both sites (which hold the system frequencies) and channel groups (which hold the talk group IDs that identify who is talking) programmed.

HOWDAHELRYA

I appreciate all of the help, i'm now trying dissect everyone's input individually.
Starting with tvengr;
I have a BCD996P2 and monitor Baltimore City Fire and PD without any problem. You only need to enter the control channel and 3 alternate frequencies on a Motorola P25 system. For Baltimore City, those are 853.7000, 853.7375, 853.8750, and 853.9000 Mhz. System type is P25 standard. Use a Motorola 800/900 standard band plan. Baltimore City is presently using 853.8750 as the control channel even though the Radio Reference database shows 853.7375. I am not familiar with Freescan. I use ARC-XT for my programming. If NFM is being displayed instead of the control channel frequency when nothing is being received, you may have a P25 simulcast problem. Give that a try and let me know how it works.

Tvengr; is it possible for you to screenshot me your settings so i can see what im doing wrong

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
FreeScan has a fairly complete user guide which is hosted here in our wiki. You can get to it via 'HELP / ONLINE HELP' from within FS. And this article from our wiki (links are always blue) has a list of all the Easier to Read manuals for the scanners FreeScan supports. It's found here...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Program_your_DMA_Scanner

And I believe there are videos at the end of the FreeScan user guide from YouTube that might help, too. Again, from our wiki...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FreeScan_User_Guide

Mike

tvengr

Well Known Member
At this time, I don't think that a screen shot of ARC-XT would be of much help to you. I believe that you should start with the information from Upman and learn about trunking systems. I agree that it sounds like you may be trying to set it up as a conventional system. A talkgroup is similar to a channel on a conventional system. On a conventional system, each channel is assigned a frequency. For example, each PD district would be on that specific frequency all of the time. On a trunking system, all of the talkgroups share the same block of frequencies. You have to create a site and then enter the control channel and alternate frequencies into that site. You also create groups with the talkgroups you want to listen to within each group. Each talkgroup is assigned an ID number (TGID). When a unit keys up, the system computer finds an empty frequency. The control channel then transmits data to all radios using the same talkgroup that switches them to that same frequency. In that way, all of the units can stay together, even though they change frequencies every time they key up. Trunking systems can handle a lot more radio traffic than a conventional system using the same number of frequencies. If you look at the Radio Reference database, you will find all of the information that you need to set up a system. You can enter only the talkgroups that you want to listen to and then scan those talkgroups. That way you can eliminate traffic, such as public works, which shares the same system. By doing that you can also select Fire or PD and listen to them separately or together or even a specific PD district as you desire. In what area of the city do you reside? I am in Baltimore County and am able to receive Baltimore City with my attic antenna. Please get back in touch with me if you have any questions.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I suggest that you use Freescan to program your scanner. When I owned this model, that's what I did. I never programmed by hand. That said, the following link should help you if you still want to do it "by hand:" (note that the Baltimore City system should be programmed as a P25 Standard system)

Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual

You should also confirm that you are using the most current firmware for your scanner.

HOWDAHELRYA

Ok, so now i've reset the scanner to factory settings, Firmware is up to date, downloaded ARC-XT. I've placed the four frequencies 853.7000, 853.7375, 853.8750, and 853.9000 in the trunk frequencies section. Now DEC-9104 HEX-2390 is BPD 4A NE4A Northeastern District and once again 853.8750 DAT shows up and hangs with NO SOUND. Now don't get me wrong when it falls off i hear transmision on the other trunking freqs but the 853.8750 freq is the one that hogs up a lot of time I know transmissions are going on but i just can't hear. WTP; if i lock it out it locks out the entire NE channel. tvengr if you place YOUR scanner on just 1 BPD channel you never have XXX.8750 DAT hog up your trans time?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
DAT normally indicates the presence of a control channel on Uniden scanners. If programmed properly, you will see DAT when scanning a P25 system, but you will not hear the digital hash. The audio opens up when a programmed TG has voice activity. Not sure what's going on with your setup.

tvengr

Well Known Member
853.8750 should be showing anytime there is nothing being received. That is the control channel frequency. That is encouraging. If you have a severe simulcast problem, it will usually show NFM at that same location, indicating that the scanner is not locking to the control channel. If you lockout the control channel frequency, the scanner will not receive anything. Anytime NE district is being received, the 853.8750 will disappear and 9104, the TGID, will show in that same location. In ARC-XT, click on the top line in the browser window. That is the system. P25 Standard should be selected as the system type. You will need at least 1 Group created with the NE District TGID and alpha tag in that group. Set the audio type to digital. For now, set the quick key for that group to none. Open the site folder and click on the site. Go to the general tab. Set the site quick key to 1. Hold time should be set to 0. Check the control channel only box. Mot Bandplan should be 800/900 Standard. Go to the frequency tab. The 4 frequencies I gave you should be loaded there. Once you upload that info to the scanner, pressing 1 on the keypad will toggle that system on and off. Be aware that you will not hear audio the first several times that NE district appears. It takes time for the scanner to auto adjust to the correct threshold for the digital signal. Make sure that you save your system to a file so that the info will not be lost. Once you post a couple more replies and become a member, I will be able to PM you with a lot more info. Incidentally, I used to live on Dudley Ave in the NE district.

HOWDAHELRYA

Well now that that's solved, I don't like the display reading numerically, is there a setting in ARC that i can have the alpha tag display instead of numerical, there has to be a tinker for that tvengr? And besides the 996P2 what's another recommended comparable unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.