• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

High Gain 800 Antenna for XTS 5000

BabaDude77

Premium Subscriber
Looking for a high gain 800 antenna preferably stubby for an XTS 5000. My current stubby is pretty bad (8$ on Amazon) was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a decent one that could help reception. I have a 7-8 inch whip that came with the radio ( not sure if it’s actual moto) didn’t notice any better reception and just don’t like the length.

BabaDude77

Premium Subscriber
Yea I figured, but figured I would ask and see if anyone had any suggestions. Maybe I’ll try for an actual Motorola stubby instead of the 8$ Amazon China knock off?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you want performance, OEM MSI antenna part number

8505241U11​

Most MSI dealers stock them, they'll set you back $30 or so. They are 5/8 wave. Stubby antennas are generally 1/4 wave and lower performance.

I used those (or similar) on our MTS2000's/XTS2500's on my 800MHz system back in the day.
Hard to beat.
They worked better than the Motorola stubbies by a slight margin.
We did try the 800MHz dipoles:
but never saw enough of an improvement to offset the annoying factor of those.

Amazon is notorious for sellers with crappy chinese clone antennas. Oem is the way to go.

Yeah, ditto.
Seems like there are a ton of factories in China cranking out fake Motorola antennas. I've tested a few and found them often not to be on the frequency they claim. They seem to sell them by the pound on Amazon and e-Bay.

@ the OP:
It really is worth the additional cost to get the -real- Motorola antennas. www.shopwiscomm.com is a good source, never received a questionable antenna from them:

I've still got guys at work that want the 800MHz stubbies. I try to discourage it, as there is a slight penalty on the RX signal, but it's not too bad. If you really want to try one, get a real one:

BabaDude77

Premium Subscriber
I used those (or similar) on our MTS2000's/XTS2500's on my 800MHz system back in the day.
Hard to beat.
They worked better than the Motorola stubbies by a slight margin.
We did try the 800MHz dipoles:
but never saw enough of an improvement to offset the annoying factor of those.

Yeah, ditto.
Seems like there are a ton of factories in China cranking out fake Motorola antennas. I've tested a few and found them often not to be on the frequency they claim. They seem to sell them by the pound on Amazon and e-Bay.

@ the OP:
It really is worth the additional cost to get the -real- Motorola antennas. www.shopwiscomm.com is a good source, never received a questionable antenna from them:

I've still got guys at work that want the 800MHz stubbies. I try to discourage it, as there is a slight penalty on the RX signal, but it's not too bad. If you really want to try one, get a real one:

Thank you I went with the actual Motorola stubby you suggested, we’ll see how it works out. I’m sure anything will work better than the Amazon 8$.

So serious question and don’t roast me too bad on this one but how come my G4 with a tiny stock antenna blows my XTS out of the water with reception on signals further away. They are the same with local traffic but night and day with further away signals.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
So serious question and don’t roast me too bad on this one but how come my G4 with a tiny stock antenna blows my XTS out of the water with reception on signals further away. They are the same with local traffic but night and day with further away signals.
There can be several reasons: your XTS may be out of alignment, could be programming.
The G4 is much newer hardware and purpose built to be a high performing P25 receiver as a professional pager.
I had a G5 and was surprised how well it worked, rivaled a tuned/aligned APX6000.

petnrdx

I hated the dipole also.
BUT. they do work significantly better in poor coverage areas.
Same with difference between the quarter wave and the half wave.
The best thing you can do is when you transmit, get used to having the radio VERTICAL.
Too many people seen holding the radio on its side, and often "rotating" their body keeping an eye on a scene.
Great for safety. but can cause your transmission to drop out.
Get any radio up in the air as high as possible. Just make that a habit. Hold it vertical, up above your face a little. Much better.
Speaker mics with the radio on the belt are SEVERAL dB worse, especially if the radio case / belt loop causes
the antenna to be close to the body, or worse yet, pressing against the body.
Get the antenna away from your body as much as you reasonably can.
I remember "purpose built" pager receivers being several dB better that two way even decades ago.
I've never tried a G4, but I hear they really work.
...I should probably get one...

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
just about every unknown second hand radio I've bought required a slight alignment adjustment that became immediately noticeable on P25, that perked up not only for fringe reception but also eliminated any slight audio degradation, slow to unmute clipping scan, previously occurring issues no longer noticeable. You got to have it done right for P25 its unforgiving unlike analog

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Most MSI shops should be able to auto tune an XTS portable unless they don't support legacy radios anymore. Typical cost is 1/2 hour labor.
They should provide a print out of the results. If the radio fails BER sensitivity testing and the auto tune routine can't get it within spec, toss it and get another. 700/800 XTS radios are all over the place and should not set you back much. A C-note for a cherry M3 is the top dollar. $50-75 for an average one.

BabaDude77

Premium Subscriber
Most MSI shops should be able to auto tune an XTS portable unless they don't support legacy radios anymore. Typical cost is 1/2 hour labor.
They should provide a print out of the results. If the radio fails BER sensitivity testing and the auto tune routine can't get it within spec, toss it and get another. 700/800 XTS radios are all over the place and should not set you back much. A C-note for a cherry M3 is the top dollar. $50-75 for an average one.

Got mine for about 60$ and from the outside it’s in great condition no damage on the housing a couple scratches on the screen. I found one shop in the state the still services Xts and he said same as you around a half hour but he said there’s a possibility they brick the radio, is that true?

N4KVE

Got mine for about 60$ and from the outside it’s in great condition no damage on the housing a couple scratches on the screen. I found one shop in the state the still services Xts and he said same as you around a half hour but he said there’s a possibility they brick the radio, is that true?
I’ve never seen an autotune brick a radio, but I’ve seen a few that could not be autotuned, so they needed to be tuned the old fashioned way.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If they don't know what they are doing, it's possible. Our shop tunes hundreds of XTS radios with an R8000-B and haven't "bricked" one yet, but using real deal stuff no Ebay/China junk, all OEM test cables, RLN4460 and OEM battery eliminator like the service manual tells you.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø

Never seen one bricked by doing an autotune either managing my previous fleet of over 10K subs. I could see that happening if he is offering to bump the FW to the last release (or more recent release) as part of the tuning service.