Home Patrol II Question

BOBRR

Hello,

A very general question, please.
(if this is a dup'l I appogize. pc acting up again)

Might someone compare the pros and cons of a SDS200 vs their HomePatrol II ?

e.g., what might I be able to hear on the 200, that I couldn't on the Home Patrol II ?

etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber

e.g., what might I be able to hear on the 200, that I couldn't on the Home Patrol II ?
Rather than re-hashing what's already discussed ad-nauseum here about simulcast distortion I'll do you a favor and include a search query with prefix "HP2" & that search term, feel free to peruse at your leisure. Other threads exist on the topic, some involving the HP-2, others not so but expect some degree of it with an HP2 if monitoring a simulcast trunked or conventional P25 system

I'd also recommend going through each scanner's RR wiki page to compare features, etc

Blackswan73

depends on location. But generally,
Home Patrol:
Pros: Better sound, portability, easy touch screen controls.
Cons: no upgrade options for DMR, NXDN, or Provoice. Must use an adapter for most antennas, does not play well on simulcast systems (depending on location)
SDS200:
Pros: has several upgrades available including DMR and NXDN. plays well in simulcast areas. Large screen with several display options. Standard BNC antenna connector
Cons: bassy sound with the internal speaker making some transmissions nearly unintelligible (better with a external communications speaker). Steep learning curve for programming (can use zip code with mixed results)
Both are good scanners and the ultimate decision lies in your location and what you want to monitor

B.S.

Last edited:

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL

I own both of these models. The biggest difference, of course, is in the overall form factors and the ability of the SDS to receive digital simulcast signals. As I understand it, the SDS series was engineered to better deal with the problem of simulcast distortion... something the Home Patrol series (and most other scanning receivers can't do). I have also read many reports that the SDS series does not appear to receive analog signals as well as other scanners.
Aside from a slightly larger (and customizable) display and the ability to add the extra-cost DMR and NXDN options, I can't think of too many other significant Pros for the SDS200. Perhaps others will chime in with their opinions.

Blackswan73

The average human voice range is between 200hz and 8khz. Anything below or above those frequencies are unnecessary for voice reproduction and can hinder intelligibility. That is why most commercial communication speakers cut off frequencies below 150hz. The “tinniness is more likely due to the small speaker size and lack of baffling in the handheld receiver

B.S.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
The user interface for the HP is clumsy at best, the way you have to try and tap through the screen to get to a dept/channel you want is much more difficult compared to the SDS, with Quick keys and Number Tags allowing a fast and direct way to toggle items on and off or go directly to an item.
The HP appears easier to use initially but once you figure out the X36 series keys it's a much better user interface.
The touch screen is also a source of problems for some as liquids and debris can get behind the screen edge and render it useless.
The SDS200 is better suited for an automotive installation but the HP is a very compact size and is a nice-looking unit for home use and in a pinch can be used as a portable and run on battery power.
As mentioned before the HP has no DMR, NXDN, Provoice or Waterfall options, but it does have the extreme option available.