How many scanners does it take to screw in a light bulb?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The title did its job if it got you this far. Sorry to disappoint this thread has nothing to do with light bulbs. But the title is loosely related.

We’ve all seen pictures of those elaborate scanner racks, the displays all lit up in a dark room, numerous scanners mounted in computer racks that cause us to wonder why so many scanners? One couldn’t possibly listen to all that scanning activity and make sense out of it. Could it be it was built simply for its shock and awe effect? Just so much eye candy?

But then it came to me, most of those scanners are probably locked down on a single frequency (or if trunked, a select few talkgroups).

I am guessing the many slots of the computer racks were filled with second hand scanners for penny’s on the dollar or free that were still viable but retired when the agencies they used to monitor relocated to a different band or mode the scanner couldn’t receive. So the racks got filled up with scanners, most dedicated to a single frequency or channel, or in the case of large area trunking systems, single talkgroups.

And with this realization, I took it a step further. Why not create a rack of receivers, each dedicated to one select frequency or talkgroup? Has anyone done this? We all know a scanners ability to get an optimum signal is hampered, compromised by its broad band spectrum receiver characteristics. Scanners just loose something simply because they are a scanner and not a finely tuned single frequency receiver. So, my question is this… Who, if anybody, has created a listening station made up of single frequency receivers? Receivers with better specs than any scanner ever thought of…

Pagers come to mind. I will never forget the 33.94 MHz Motorola Minitor I purchased with my own money when the town decided the volunteer firefighters would get the larger home units instead because they were afraid we’d loose the pagers! One of the dumbest moves ever! I was so incensed I got my own pager! It also helped the town see the error of their ways... of course after 150 volunteer firefighters saw my Minitor and complained. The elected officials of the town soon realized their mistake and were convinced they should rectify it or face the consequences. The pager was no bigger than a pack of cigarettes, but what a great receiver! It outclassed the crystal controlled two band 8 channel Regency scanner I had in my car, even with a gain antenna! I know that’s not saying much, scanner technology being what it was then, but it instilled within me the realization that a scanner receiver can’t be tuned as “tightly” as a single channel receiver.

A full rack of dedicated pagers won’t be much to look at as they aren’t much for drawing attention to themselves. That was never intended in their design. The pager has another attraction-while pagers are both wanted and needed, they are needed as OPPOSED to just wanted. So selling a pager doesn’t require a lot of glitz and glitter. But it’s a dull bank of radios to look at if one were to build a listening post out of pagers. It receives like gangbusters but you’ve lost the hype of the lit displays. Adding to the downside of the dull outwardly appearance is its expense. Commercial gear is expensive. That and the fact that I haven’t measured just how much better a pager’s specs may be over a scanners. Will it play into the feasibility of building a monitoring post out of single channel receivers. And who manufactures a single frequency receiver today? I haven’t seen anything other than special order which are still an expensive proposition.

The closest dedicated monitoring post I have seen are the emergency communications interoperability vehicles first responders and other agencies such as Homeland Security use. The racks inside some of these rigs are impressive. They are running equipment which is optimally tuned to a particular band and/or mode. Trouble is, most or all are the more expensive transmit capable radios. Yes, there may be a scanner or two in the mix but mostly commercial gear, all dedicated to first responder agencies. And depending upon the area where the vehicle is stationed, it could also include additional commercial aircraft, railroad and marine bands. But these are funded by the government at some large expense… and since I haven’t hit the Mega Millions or Powerball lotteries in a big way, I’m not planning on building one of my own anytime soon!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The closest dedicated monitoring post I have seen are the emergency communications interoperability vehicles first responders and other agencies such as Homeland Security use. The racks inside some of these rigs are impressive. They are running equipment which is optimally tuned to a particular band and/or mode. Trouble is, most or all are the more expensive transmit capable radios.

That's what we did for our PSAP. They needed to be able to monitor several adjacent agencies (fire, PD) all the time. We have 4 dedicated CDM-1250's mounted in the rack and tied into the dispatch console system. On each console there is a button for each agency. Receive only.
Dedicated VHF receivers designed specifically for the VHF band and nothing else. All 4 are tied into dedicated VHF antennas on the roof. Programmed as single channel only. Nothing for anyone to mess with

Works very well. Much cleaner install than having a scanner at each position. No one accidentally pushing buttons. No annoying noises from paging systems or FM broadcast.

N9JIG

Sheriff
As one of the worst offenders of the crime of lots of scanners racked up and looking pretty let me try to plead my case to the judge and jury:

The simple explanation is that I can and I enjoy it. Part of the reason behind the racks and cabinets is wife approval. She hates mess, especially visible wires. I keep her happy, and part of that is by keeping my office clean, wires out of sight or dressed and the place clutter free. Even my car is that way with a pair of 536's and a dual bander and not a wire in sight.

As for why the large amounts of radios, I use them all. When I am not actively listening to one or more I am logging activity.

image0.jpeg

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm going to be "that guy". Are you sure those aren't GTR8000's, GCM8000's and GCP8000's?
The rack of 6 horizontal chassis in the foreground are GPW's. I don't want to be "that other guy", but yeah, I'm 100% certain. ;)

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
ScannerMaster used to feature a turn key scanner desk setup on their site that was basically a reverse trunk. Software included and all it would use a few scanners set up in a way to capture most traffic on many more channels without missing most things and arranged the recordings into timeline software. I can't remember what it was called though, there was even a demo site for it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
ScannerMaster used to feature a turn key scanner desk setup on their site that was basically a reverse trunk. Software included and all it would use a few scanners set up in a way to capture most traffic on many more channels without missing most things and arranged the recordings into timeline software. I can't remember what it was called though, there was even a demo site for it.

And the demo...

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
While I was a Fulltime Firefighter that loved to know what was going on around him with no children I got to buy the things I wanted.
#1 Each Scanner is set to a County and Agency (Fire Law and EMS) So I have 3 Scanners per County.
#2 All SCanners are connected to PROSCAN Logging Times and Recording Audio.
#3 As Rich said its looks nice for the wife.
#4 Most (NOT ALL) were bought here in the Classifieds helping members sell unwanted items at a fair price.
#5 It takes only a short time to learn to listen to multiple calls.
#6 I have the ability to remote into my setup when I was at work to see what was going on around me.

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
I to have and have had MANY scanners over the many years of monitoring.
Some of my handheld Moto stuff are single channel monitoring some times
like late at night. Its easy to miss a call when you are just on scan. As for pagers I have had them for years since they first came out. Funny thing is my Minitors 5 and 6 still have better "ears"
than most of my scanners and can be worn with out being noticed until one goes off.

Just my 2 cents
Steve

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
As one of the worst offenders of the crime of lots of scanners racked up and looking pretty let me try to plead my case to the judge and jury:

The simple explanation is that I can and I enjoy it. Part of the reason behind the racks and cabinets is wife approval. She hates mess, especially visible wires. I keep her happy, and part of that is by keeping my office clean, wires out of sight or dressed and the place clutter free. Even my car is that way with a pair of 536's and a dual bander and not a wire in sight.

As for why the large amounts of radios, I use them all. When I am not actively listening to one or more I am logging activity.

View attachment 150431
Is the middle lower scanner the SDS200 with that "waterfall" option?

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
All I can bring to the table is that I have 3 transceivers in the car, 2 scanners, and 4 ht-s that 1 I can use as a scanner. But, then again. I can get my hands on a power source that can power up a city block if need be.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Ehh, I listen to one at a time. I can usually find something that sounds interesting then lock onto it. My state police had a nice chase the other day, speeds up to 125mph. The car was stolen, the young woman driving eventually crashed and ran but was caught. I would probably just want to listen to that anyways so no need for another distraction.