• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I wonder if it's possible (in theory) to......

Status
Not open for further replies.

reformedMhacker

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to pose a question that I've wondered about for a long time. I'm not a programmer, engineer, or developer, and It's been a long time since my days of playing around with motorola software and especially the whole software alteration / editing game. (Let me point out before anyone gets in a ruffle, I'm not advocating that anyone do anything illegal. I've already been there and been accused of that - I know about RSS, CPS, L*bt**ls, S***eyG*ns, and all that, but that isn't what I'm referring to. I'm just seeing if the ones on here that know the 'software' and hardware inside and out think this may be theoretically possible.) If someone has a M radio that is their property, and they have the right to do with it as they please such as talk (and listen) on their licensed or authorized frequencies / channels etc. (ie amateur radio), or they can use it as a fancy paperweight, or just wear it around because they think it looks cool, then wouldn't they have the right to replace the very firmware (one not native to the radio) or heart of the radio that makes it an M radio?
People do this all the time - they turn $20 usb tv tuners into software defined receivers, they jailbreak iPhones and root android devices, I mean - lets say you had an old TV and somehow you figured out
how to make it demodulate and decode SSTV or Hellshreiber, or use it to monitor your wireless camera system at home (without the factory camera receiver), you OWN the TV. It's yours. RCA / Sony / Magnavox or whomever made the TV has no legal or proprietary right to say that just because they didn't intend for the TV to be used that way, that you can't do it. What if you wrote a firmware for your old PLL synthesised am/fm radio and you could re-write the eeprom to expand the receive range into the aircraft of public safety bands? You own the radio. It's yours. You can do whatever you want, right?

Here is what I'm getting at, what if you took a super-duper XTS-MTS-APX trunks-a-lot radio with a flash
code of 9999-99999-9 with every bell and whistle and orange button you can imagine that you just bought from some college kid in Hong Kong (that raids the dumpsters at the Depot there) off of fleabay and you completely blank the radio. I don't mean just delete channels and scan lists and such, but you take away the firmware - the very heart, brain, and soul that makes it a radio. You kill it - it doesn't know it was ever a radio. It could have been a camera, a phone, a toaster, or maybe even the controller for your lady-friend's favorite marital aid. Now lets say you're a programmer, you know and understand how the original firmware and software were written, you know how the data blocks in the firmware had to be arranged in order to communicate and control the hardware in the radio, and you start writing and compiling code and this code includes everything from p25 and narrowband to DMR and tetra, and you never write the ability to even think about transmitting (remember the radio in question is dead and doesn't know it ever had that capability of transmitting, or that it was a vib--- I mean radio), and you successfully pack this firmware (none of it coming from M) you wrote to what used to be that super duper MTS-XTS-APX radio and now you write a software for it and this software acting much like any scanner programming software allows you to edit control channels, frequencies, scan lists, modulation type, etc., and you program the radio - I mean scanner which you just made. You would now have the most durable (compared to most scanners) scanning receiver out there. You aren't having to worry about bootleg software, *keys, accidentally transmitting where you shouldn't, 3-letter police in SUVs showing up, interfering with a system (computer network trespass) or anything. I know that radios used to be toolproofed to keep you from trying to add reatures you had not paid for, or adding unauthorized access ability to the radios, but what if you had taken away even the ability for the radio to be toolproofed (you killed it, remember), I just wonder if this would be possible. I'm sure that as soon as a hobbiest did this and made it public how they did it, M would send a platoon of lawyers to bring cease and desist papers, but again - would this be possible?

Oh the hornets nest of radio police I'm probably stirring with this one. No I don't need to know what M will
try to do to someone that p's them off... I already know,

mancow

Database Admin
Sure it's possible, look at the ddwrt firmware for Cisco routers. It's just not likely due to the lack of information needed to pull it off.

I wonder if it's possible for you to use the enter key a little more often when you post invulnerable walls of text.

jim202

Anything is possible. The down side is I don't think you would have the background to spend years of playing to just get the basics of the radio to work. The amount of time that would need to be devoted to a project like this would boggle the mind of even a decent software programmer.

Would it be worth it? That would depend if you didn't need to work for a living and you had the interest.

Would you be able to accomplish your goal? Probably not.

Point to bring up here, not all features available will play with each other. There are a number of features that have certain restrictions and as such, some features can't be lumped into the same radio and have it function.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You can type out Lab tool software and system key generator. Whats with the *** its not profanity.. Get real

Status
Not open for further replies.