ICOM Announces their new D-Star Radio for 2014 - ICOM IC-5100D

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
It's about time. I like my IC-2820H, but it needs an upgrade. I know I'll have to route a new control head cable (presumably shielded 8-conductor rather than 4), but I hope the mounting bracket is the same (or at least will mount in the same holes in the foot).

Yes, my IC-2820H also needs an upgrade. Like the ID-51 and am sure will like the new ICOM.
Digital radio is what keeps me going in this hobby after 52 years. Love the new technology.

Steve AA6IO

DewAddict

I'm about to grab a 2820, anyone know if the 5100D does crossband repeat? I see it has dual DV receive but no mention of crossband repeat either in digital or analog mode. If it does, I'm gonna hold off for this model.

SCPD

QRT
Looks like a nice radio, easy to read remote display head, the specs it would be nice if it would do IDAS is well. Thinking of putting an IDAS repeater on the air so the commercial offerings would also work.

emd001

might be a dumb question but since this radio will support D-PRS does that mean it will also be able to use APRS? I am looking for a dualbander with APRS support for the truck to replace the 880h that is in there now.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
might be a dumb question but since this radio will support D-PRS does that mean it will also be able to use APRS?
Not without an external TNC.

DPRS is not the same as APRS. While DPRS position reports show up on Internet-based APRS maps, like APRS.fi, DPRS position reports do not go out over RF so that other RF-based APRS users can see them.

You could probably add a TNC or APRS tracker to the ID-5100 and do D-Star on one side of the radio and APRS on the other side.

MarkWestin

Icom ID-5100A FCC AFJ348400 as of 03/27/2014. No Owner's Manual available on the FCC Site, but is is available on the Icom America Web Site. The "CD (in depth) manual" is not yet available on the Icom America Site, but could be available elsewhere.

Mark

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
might be a dumb question but since this radio will support D-PRS does that mean it will also be able to use APRS? I am looking for a dualbander with APRS support for the truck to replace the 880h that is in there now.

Yes, all GPS enabled D-Star radios will support D-PRS; heck, even the Raspberry Pi DVAP's pass the data through from ID31/51 portables with a properly configured image. I just wish all the repeater owners would get on board and update their software to support that and ircddb functions; should be pretty standard at this point in the game!

MarkWestin

The "Full Instruction Manual" for the ID-5100A/E is now available on the IcomAmerica Web Site. Also the "Cloning Software" CS-5100 is available on the Icom (Japan) download site.

Mark

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Cross band repeater supported for FM / FMn only

The unit supports cross band repeat for FM and FM narrow only and it is limited to the US version according to the Icom America manual.

No DV cross band is listed.

Craig

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
The secret is out

The unit supports cross band repeat for FM and FM narrow only and it is limited to the US version according to the Icom America manual.

Craig

What's this, a menu selection ??? No secret, multiple simultaneous button pressing sequence? What is the world coming to?

My only complaint: according to both manuals, not only does the radio not come with a mounting bracket for the main unit, but there is no mention of an optional one. However, the width (and height) of the main body is the same as that of the IC-2820h and the ID-880h, so certainly there shouldn't an issue of availability.

There's no diversity reception. I tried the diversity extensively in the IC-2820h, and it was hard to detect any difference. When I had a diversity cell phone (800MHz) in my car in the 1980s, it made a BIG difference.

N8OHU

AES lists the ID-5100A for $749; they also list the UT-133 Bluetooth Module ($99) and the VS-3 Bluetooth microphone ($159).

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Craig

Too bad they didn't set it up to do the narrowband splinters. It seemed a natural progression. The cheapo chinese stuff that's come out even does true narrowband. Hey ICOM, What the....?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Too bad they didn't set it up to do the narrowband splinters.
According to the manual, it will do 6.25 and 12.5 kHz steps. No mention of 7.5 kHz steps which would be necessary for VHF land mobile frequencies. Are there any amateur radio repeaters using 7.5 kHz steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.