• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom Forced Narrow Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Jeatock, the PM system appears to be broken. You can email me directly at " rick at lioby dot com "

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I noticed recently that the F3021 has been discontinued completely and replaced with the F3031. I would suspect that the F3031 will not do WFM at all.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
So not to bring back too old a thread, but I recently acquired an F3261DS, and the current firmware is R4.9, DREV 3.2, but displays "F NARROW ON"...I have a 3161DS that has the same firmware version and DREV but no "F NARROW ON"...would love to be able to program wideband for ham use.

Anyone know the workaround? Is it going to take sending the radio to Kirkland to get some magic wand waived?

I have not tried to read the radio yet, as my OPC-1862 is on the way. Just want to know what kind of battle I am up against. I've read through this thread and there are two conflicting answer.

One poster says Icom "unlocked" his radio, the other poster copied and pasted a response from Icom saying essentially you are SOL.

So which is it?

retiredinsemo

The new 3261 series is not wide band capable. Also, the 3161 and 3261 use totally different firmware/software packages You may brick a radio is you try a firmware mismatch. Here's the emission designators from the specification sheet for the 3162:

Type of emission 11K0F3E / 4K00F1E / F1D

This comes out to 12.5, 6.25, and digital only. No wide band designator indicated.

Yes, the 3161 is wide band capable, but not the 32 series.

Compare the spec sheets and you will see.

Sorry to share bad news.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The new 3261 series is not wide band capable. Also, the 3161 and 3261 use totally different firmware/software packages

News to me. The same REV4.9 and DREV 3.2 is what is in my 4161DS, and according to Icom the same cloning software programs the 3261 series (CS-3160/5060) so how can the firmware and software be different if they use the SAME CS and have the same version numbers?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

retiredinsemo

News to me. The same REV4.9 and DREV 3.2 is what is in my 4161DS, and according to Icom the same cloning software programs the 3261 series (CS-3160/5060) so how can the firmware and software be different if they use the SAME CS and have the same version numbers?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

Yes I probably jumped the gun on the firmware/software statement. I was thinking of when the F3061 was upgraded to the F3161 several years ago. The firmware/softare combinations for those models were incompatible. I just ASSumed it was the same for the new F3261. I stand corrected.

As for wide band capability, I "believe" the F3261 is designed for wide band only based on the emission designators in the specification sheet.

F3161 SERIES:

Frequency range
IC-F3161T/S
IC-F4161T/S
136–175 MHz
400–470 MHz
450–512 MHz
Number of channels 512 channels/128 zones
Channel spacing 12.5 kHz/25 kHz, 15 kHz/30 kHz, 6.25 kHz (option)
PLL channel step 2.5 kHz, 3.125 kHz
Antenna impedance 50Ω
Usable temperature range –30°C to +60°C; –22°F to +140°F
Power supply requirement 7.2V DC
Current drain (at 7.2V DC)
Transmit
Receive
VHF/UHF 1.5A/1.8A (at 5W/5W)
stand-by 100mA
150mA
rated output 600mA
Dimensions (with BP-232)
(projections are not included) 53 (W) ×136 (H) ×38.9 (D) mm;
23⁄32 (W) ×511⁄32 (H)×117⁄32 (D) in
Weight (approx.) 338g; 11.9oz (with BP-232N)
Transmitter
Output power 5W (VHF), 5W (UHF)
Max. frequency deviation ±5 kHz (Wide) ±2.5 kHz (Narrow)

F3261 SERIES:

Frequency Coverage IC-F3261DT/DS: 136–174MHz
IC-F4261DT/DS: 350-400MHz, 400-470MHz, 450-512MHz
Number of channels 512 channels / 128 zones
Type of emission 11K0F3E / 4K00F1E / F1D
Channel spacing 12.5 / 6.25kHz
Power supply requirement 7.5VDC nominal
Current drain (approx.)
Tx High
Rx Max. audio/Standby IC-F3261DT / DS
1.5A (at 5W)
600mA / 150mA IC-F4261DT / DS
1.8A (at 5W)
600mA / 140mA
Antenna impedance 50Ω
Operating temperature range –30°C to +60°C
–22°F to +140°F
Dimensions (with BP-232N)
(projections are not included) 54 (W) ×142.7 (H) ×39.5 (D) mm; 2.13x5.62x1.56in.
(With BP-232WP)
Weight (approx.) 370g; 13.1oz (with BP-232WP)
Transmitter
Output power 5W, 2W, 1W, (Hi, L2, L1)
Max. frequency deviation ±2.5 kHz

As you can see, there's no wide band specifications indicated for the F3261.

retiredinsemo

I'm making mistakes left and right............

As for wide band capability, I "believe" the F3261 is designed for wide band only based on the emission designators in the specification sheet.

The above should read:

As for wide band capability, I "believe" the F3261 is designed for NARROW BAND only based on the emission designators in the specification sheet.

hotwatt

I have no problem making wide band on my f4001 but i use narrow since thats the norm i donno what the diff is though

cr327

I realise this is an old thread but I was wondering if any info regarding an IC-F6021 being able to be changed to wide band.

I recently purchased one from the US for Australia (we still use wide for some service's) the wide setting is available in the CS-5021 software but always defaults to narrow after programming, any information regarding a possible solution greatly appreciated.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
The word I got right from ICOM is that the newer radios have firmware in them that only allows NFM.

I am not sure how to tell an old firmware version from a new firmware version without trying to program it.

The wholesaler that I buy from told me that he was not aware of anyway to do it on the newer ones. In fact, he asked me to let him know if I found a way.

The last few radios that I bought I bought used on ebay specifically because I did not want to buy a new one and be stuck with NFM only. I have both a commercial license for my farm and also a ham license, so I wanted to be able to do both.

If you find a solution that actually works, please do pass it around.

Rick

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
As for wide band capability, I "believe" the F3261 is designed for NARROW BAND only based on the emission designators in the specification sheet.

This is also incorrect.
It'll do wideband just fine provided the firmware is 4.9 or older.

Rapidcharger, I have an F3261DT with REV 4.6.2 RR / DREV 3.2 firmware and from what I've read and no matter what I've tried, I'm stuck with narrowband only. If you know of a way to make my radio TX/RX wideband, I'd sure like to know what that is. I'd love to be able to use this radio for 2m communications also.

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
IC-F4261DT converted for WFM for use in the amateur band:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_uc75_WRhnU0dhMFFGSUgyc3c

That's interesting. Is that a function of the newer firmware? I'm running the RR firmware (REV 4.6.2 RR) on my F3261DT and holding the PTT and F1 does nothing when powering the radio up.

As far as I've seen, these radios only transmit with either a 12.5 kHz or 6.25 kHz channel spacing. When you set the radio to wide, does it allow transmitting on a 25 kHz channel spacing or does it just force the radio to 12.5 kHz only?

fontanei

That's interesting. Is that a function of the newer firmware? I'm running the RR firmware (REV 4.6.2 RR) on my F3261DT and holding the PTT and F1 does nothing when powering the radio up.

As far as I've seen, these radios only transmit with either a 12.5 kHz or 6.25 kHz channel spacing. When you set the radio to wide, does it allow transmitting on a 25 kHz channel spacing or does it just force the radio to 12.5 kHz only?

I use the radio for ham radio and being forced to narrow FM was not an option for me. The radio was locked in narrow FM (as known to many people here) and there was no way to make it WFM. You'd program the radio Forced Narrow OFF; however, when reading it back, the .icf file would be in Forced Narrow ON.......sent it to dealer to modify it with "special SW". These radios are sold world wide where there is no 12.5khz requirement. The SM has a procedure to adjust WFM dev... go figure.

I am a happy camper with this radio now! :D

Yes, it allows the radio to transmit in 25khz.No, its not a function of FW 5.3

Under common>common>others>forced Narrow change = enable in order for you to be able to change the forced enable on and off when pressing p1 and ptt while powering the radio on.

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so just to clarify, you had to send the radio to a dealer for modification so it transmits with 25 kHz channel spacing.

Thanks.

I use the radio for ham radio and being forced to narrow FM was not an option for me. The radio was locked in narrow FM (as known to many people here) and there was no way to make it WFM. You'd program the radio Forced Narrow OFF; however, when reading it back, the .icf file would be in Forced Narrow ON.......sent it to dealer to modify it with "special SW". These radios are sold world wide where there is no 12.5khz requirement. The SM has a procedure to adjust WFM dev... go figure.

I am a happy camper with this radio now! :D

Yes, it allows the radio to transmit in 25khz.No, its not a function of FW 5.3

Under common>common>others>forced Narrow change = enable in order for you to be able to change the forced enable on and off when pressing p1 and ptt while powering the radio on.

12dbsinad

Okay, so just to clarify, you had to send the radio to a dealer for modification so it transmits with 25 kHz channel spacing.

Thanks.

It's special firmware that not all dealers will hand out like candy. The dealers usually have to go thru the act of congress to get it and each model is different. Each model requires approval from ICOM.

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
It's special firmware that not all dealers will hand out like candy. The dealers usually have to go thru the act of congress to get it and each model is different. Each model requires approval from ICOM.

That's what I was afraid of. Well, if anyone knows of a dealer in Southern California (Los Angeles or Orange County area) that can flash the firmware to allow wide channel spacing for ham use, let me know. If not, I guess it'll eventually end up on eBay.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.