• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom IC-F6011 Repeater Programming

KD5FMU

Ham Radio Crusader
To hopefully answer your question, When Pin 3 on the J6 connector of the Receive Radio detects Carrier Operated Squelch (COS) it sends a signal to the Repeater Controller which in turn sends a signal via the PTT line to PIN 11 on the J6 connector of the Transmit Radio to trigger PTT.

Audio out of the Receive Radio PIN 7 of the J6 connector will go to the Repeater Controller will go to the Receive Audio Input to the Repeater Controller. I know it's a little confusing but here is how I remember it. Audio comes out of the RX radio and into (input) the Repeater controller. Maybe this diagram will help.

Attachments

• Controller TO Icom Radios.pdf
    182.9 KB · Views: 10

KD2DES

Premium Subscriber
To hopefully answer your question, When Pin 3 on the J6 connector of the Receive Radio detects Carrier Operated Squelch (COS) it sends a signal to the Repeater Controller which in turn sends a signal via the PTT line to PIN 11 on the J6 connector of the Transmit Radio to trigger PTT.

Audio out of the Receive Radio PIN 7 of the J6 connector will go to the Repeater Controller will go to the Receive Audio Input to the Repeater Controller. I know it's a little confusing but here is how I remember it. Audio comes out of the RX radio and into (input) the Repeater controller. Maybe this diagram will help.
So you are indeed using a controller. That was my very first question. Your diagram makes total sense now, thank you.

My only doubt left is the COS output out of IC-F6011. Pin 3 is the Ext I/O 11. You told me to turn on OPTION > Ext OUT (EXO) Horn > RX EXO. So the horn is the COS??

Thanks again for all your help.

KD5FMU

Ham Radio Crusader
Yes! Some volunteer firemen would program the radio to honk their truck horns when they received a 2 tone signal to wake them up at night when they received fire calls.

KD2DES

Premium Subscriber

Looking at your nice drawing (thank you for that), could we connect discriminator audio output from the RX radio directly into the IN input of the TX radio? Or must it go through the repeater controller? If so, what is the controller doing with the audio? Thanks.

KD5FMU

Ham Radio Crusader
Looking at your nice drawing (thank you for that), could we connect discriminator audio output from the RX radio directly into the IN input of the TX radio? Or must it go through the repeater controller? If so, what is the controller doing with the audio? Thanks.
Well in all reality the controller is just relaying and routing the audio to the transmitter radio. Some more advanced controller's offer audio filtering for audio clarity and they offer a precise timing from the receiver to the transmitter. As well as some controllers offer DTMF control and CW and Voice Repeater Identification. It gives you options if you want them.
Here are a few more diagrams. One is how to directly wire the Transmitter and Receiver for a simple repeater and the squelch tail timing will have to be set in the radio software. The second one is how to directly wire the Transmitter and Receiver together for a Bi-Directional (usually cross-band) repeater.

Attachments

• Icom Bi-Directional Repeater Direct Pinout - No Controller.pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Icom Repeater Direct Pinout - No Controller.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 9

KD2DES

Premium Subscriber
Well in all reality the controller is just relaying and routing the audio to the transmitter radio. Some more advanced controller's offer audio filtering for audio clarity and they offer a precise timing from the receiver to the transmitter. As well as some controllers offer DTMF control and CW and Voice Repeater Identification. It gives you options if you want them.
Here are a few more diagrams. One is how to directly wire the Transmitter and Receiver for a simple repeater and the squelch tail timing will have to be set in the radio software. The second one is how to directly wire the Transmitter and Receiver together for a Bi-Directional (usually cross-band) repeater.
Amazing thank you!

KD2DES

Premium Subscriber
Fred, will you know by any chance what is the connector type or name that comes with the OPC-1939? See photo below. I am trying to find it at Mouser. Thank you.
Fred, will you know by any chance what is the type or name of this 13-pin connector that comes in the OPC-1939? I am trying to find it at Mouser. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_9192.jpeg
    IMG_9192.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9194.jpeg
    IMG_9194.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 2