PCR1000 Icom PCR-1000 Probe1k Windows 10 11

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
I went down a rabbit hole last night when I remembered I still had my PCR-1000 in storage. I found a backup I made of probe1k and tried to run it on Windows 11.

No dice. I tried it in Dosbox and after fiddling around with some settings for serial ports I got it to work, and scan FAST. 140c/s fast.

What worked for me:
Setting cycles to 107,000
Using a prolific USB to serial adapter
pre-setting the baud rate in the dosbox.conf file

Once you run it full screen its just like the old days. Now time to build some new databases. LOL.
David.

Ubbe

The squelch can't handle that speed. In a Pro2042 with OS456 you can't go over 60ch/s, pretty much the original speed without the interface, and PCR-1000 have something like max 40ch/s if you don't mind it occasionally skipping an active channel.

/Ubbe

Eng8492

Im using a Windows 7 PC, disconnected from the internet, and TalkPCR. Its so nice to accomodate any possible tuning step including 8.33khz and any mode for weak AM signals.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
Im using a Windows 7 PC, disconnected from the internet, and TalkPCR. Its so nice to accomodate any possible tuning step including 8.33khz and any mode for weak AM signals.
Did you test Virtuelbox instead of separate hardware ?

Eng8492

Did you test Virtuelbox instead of separate hardware ?
Not sure why I would want to spend the time unless I needed to run several instances of TalkPCR. This laptop wont have a virtualization setting in the bios....

Pape

Premium Subscriber
Instead of running dedicated hardware so you can run it from your standard computer

Eng8492

Instead of running dedicated hardware so you can run it from your standard computer
Ok, I got it. Its a good idea but right now the desktop is a beast 900W and the laptop is sitting around holding on to some ancient but irreplaceable enginnering applications.

Eng8492

Maybe I should dust off my old PCR-1000 and finish aligning it.
All the service software and service manual are on groups.io. If I had the time I would add a little op-amp board to the discriminator output to improve +/- 2.5khz deviation nbfm audio.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
I added an IF output to mine. Works really well with an RTL. At one point I had it working with HDSDR and an Extio.dll but those days are over.

I haven't changed anything but now probe is being really finicky with the cycle rate and it's being a pain. I'll get it dialed in eventually lol.

N8YX

Another config that hits all the gear mentioned above along with a couple others:

I have 7 PCR1000s at the moment. 6 operational and 1 in the repair queue. Coincidentally, there are 6 PCs in the monitoring setup that are dedicated to analog scanner/receiver control. Each runs Linux as the host O/S, VirtualBox as the hypervisor and a variety of guests: FreeDOS, XP Pro, Win7 Pro and Win10 Pro. The configurations of these systems are very similar if not identical; host names and IP addresses are the main differences.

Hardware was designed to be portable and pluggable. Each host has an Optocom connected to one serial port and a PCR-1000 connected to the other. An R-7000 is connected via CI-V cabling to the Optocom. A modified serial cable facilitates Squelch Detect and the radio end is plugged into the R-7000's Tape relay control jack. (This arrangement also works when using an R-71 under CI-V control.)

WinXP or Win7 VMs host Spectrum Commander IX, and each Optocom/R-7000 pair is configured for handoff scanning or searching: The Optocom finds things of interest then the Icom listens. Each PCR-1000 also listens to a dedicated ham band and the various points of interest within. I specifically chose them for this role because they're all-mode capable: The SSB, AM, FM simplex calling/working frequencies and repeater outputs can all be scanned for activity.

Each host can also run FreeDOS/ProbeV7 or Probe1K if I want to control the receivers in DOS mode. The WinXP VM also has the Icom PCR-1000 software, ScanCAT and other packages which support the attached receivers.

Two more PCs of note: They are higher horsepower than the others and have Win10 Pro guests. ProScan is used to control 1ea BCT-15X and BCD-996XT. At some point I'll add a 996P2 w/ upgrades to each. These systems have Icom CT-17s or Optolinx interfaces attached, and each has an IC-751A/R-71A pair connected for digital modes monitoring, ham usage, what have you.

All systems can run flrig/fldigi, wsjtx and similar software natively. Fun Fact: flrig fully supports the PCR-1000 including the DSP module code. I did a lot of that. Next on the driver list is Optocom and OS-456/535 support.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Another config that hits all the gear mentioned above along with a couple others:

I have 7 PCR1000s at the moment. 6 operational and 1 in the repair queue. Coincidentally, there are 6 PCs in the monitoring setup that are dedicated to analog scanner/receiver control. Each runs Linux as the host O/S, VirtualBox as the hypervisor and a variety of guests: FreeDOS, XP Pro, Win7 Pro and Win10 Pro. The configurations of these systems are very similar if not identical; host names and IP addresses are the main differences.

Hardware was designed to be portable and pluggable. Each host has an Optocom connected to one serial port and a PCR-1000 connected to the other. An R-7000 is connected via CI-V cabling to the Optocom. A modified serial cable facilitates Squelch Detect and the radio end is plugged into the R-7000's Tape relay control jack. (This arrangement also works when using an R-71 under CI-V control.)

WinXP or Win7 VMs host Spectrum Commander IX, and each Optocom/R-7000 pair is configured for handoff scanning or searching: The Optocom finds things of interest then the Icom listens. Each PCR-1000 also listens to a dedicated ham band and the various points of interest within. I specifically chose them for this role because they're all-mode capable: The SSB, AM, FM simplex calling/working frequencies and repeater outputs can all be scanned for activity.

Each host can also run FreeDOS/ProbeV7 or Probe1K if I want to control the receivers in DOS mode. The WinXP VM also has the Icom PCR-1000 software, ScanCAT and other packages which support the attached receivers.

Two more PCs of note: They are higher horsepower than the others and have Win10 Pro guests. ProScan is used to control 1ea BCT-15X and BCD-996XT. At some point I'll add a 996P2 w/ upgrades to each. These systems have Icom CT-17s or Optolinx interfaces attached, and each has an IC-751A/R-71A pair connected for digital modes monitoring, ham usage, what have you.

All systems can run flrig/fldigi, wsjtx and similar software natively. Fun Fact: flrig fully supports the PCR-1000 including the DSP module code. I did a lot of that. Next on the driver list is Optocom and OS-456/535 support.
Dannnnnnnng.

Do you have any pics of this setup? LOL. I have the R7000 here which sits on UHF air and is used for scanning a few select freqs. I'm using an SDR to do very quick band scans of the UHF air spectrum and then the 8600, 8500 and 7000 are used to monitor those.

The PCR-1000 is sitting currently because I have run out of antennas at the moment xD

I'm about to add another Pro-2006 to my other three but this one has the OS456 in it.

N8YX

Dannnnnnnng.

Do you have any pics of this setup? LOL. I have the R7000 here which sits on UHF air and is used for scanning a few select freqs. I'm using an SDR to do very quick band scans of the UHF air spectrum and then the 8600, 8500 and 7000 are used to monitor those.

The PCR-1000 is sitting currently because I have run out of antennas at the moment xD

I'm about to add another Pro-2006 to my other three but this one has the OS456 in it.
(BillyMays)"But Wait! There's More!"(/BillyMays)

Shack is being reconfigured (new operating benches and shelves) and when done I'll post a bunch. Mind you I did this in 1-to-N fashion: Duplicate as many times as space and budget permits. Each scanner pair was set up for a specific service search (railroads, FRS/GMRS/MURS/IB, VHF Marine, Air Bands, etc) but there's no reason someone couldn't do this with just one controller.

The 6 analog PCs have dual video outputs. Service monitor (primary) of each goes to a KVM and secondary (heads-up) is a ceiling bracket mounted 32" display. The two ProScan PCs have triple video outputs; their heads-up displays are a pair of 24" displays. All of the 32" displays are also capable of streaming things, on-air TV reception and so on.

Every PC is on a big UPS (shared among several; 3 total at the moment) and all are running NUT. The master of each quad is connected to the UPS status line via control cable. It can command the others to shut down via network communications should the batteries reach a predefined discharge level. There's also a system in the works which will run xymon (successor to Big Brother) for network and system status at a glance.

(In a previous life I did this for the SOCs of Big Honkin' Corporations with Big Honkin' Datacenters. Since I work from home now, I had to duplicate my old surroundings...:ROFLMAO: )

OS-456/Pro-2006: Did you win that auction this morning? I recently got a couple 2006s with the full 456 board installed. One is a project (or sorts) and the other works. Still have my OS-535 equipped Pro-2035. That's what got me into computer controlled scanning many years ago.

ETA: Look at an EDA series distribution amp for feeding your scanners from one antenna. I use several of them here.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
OS-456/Pro-2006: Did you win that auction this morning? I recently got a couple 2006s with the full 456 board installed. One is a project (or sorts) and the other works. Still have my OS-535 equipped Pro-2035. That's what got me into computer controlled scanning many years ago.

ETA: Look at an EDA series distribution amp for feeding your scanners from one antenna. I use several of them here.

Haha yes I did. I lost out on the last one. I probably over paid for it but oh well. I've been wanting one for a while.

I have some "homebrew" distribution systems here. RF Bay LNAs feeding some dividers. I have one for UHF air and one for my 700MHz streaming radios feeding about 8 dongles from one Yagi.

The DPD Omni Mil X feeds the 8600 and the UHF dipole in the attic feeds the 7000 and 8500 and an SDR dongle. Discone is sitting on the BCT-15 which is my "lets see whats going on" radio. I really need to sit down and redesign it all.

merlin

Sonds like a good setup but overcomplicated. My PCR1000 runs off my XP machine, does all I need. I found the DSP gets over 3 or four, voice sounds robotic. Turned off doing digital, and decoding on a Win 10 lappy. My TS-440 receive is like the R-7000 and have that connected to my HP Z440. That in turn, handles all my SDR stuff. The weak link with my system is antennas. A tuner in the works for a non resonant long wire I hope to sneak onto the roof later this spring. Otherwise, I am good from 50 to 2.5 Ghz.

N8YX

Sonds like a good setup but overcomplicated. My PCR1000 runs off my XP machine, does all I need. I found the DSP gets over 3 or four, voice sounds robotic. Turned off doing digital, and decoding on a Win 10 lappy. My TS-440 receive is like the R-7000 and have that connected to my HP Z440. That in turn, handles all my SDR stuff. The weak link with my system is antennas. A tuner in the works for a non resonant long wire I hope to sneak onto the roof later this spring. Otherwise, I am good from 50 to 2.5 Ghz.
I designed it to expand laterally based on traffic load. (Same approach I take in my day job with SaaS/IaaS/PaaS and all the other aS-es that get thrown my team's way). One of the 6 analog system monitors is a spare of sorts and is used to generate scan files for the others - or act as the primary if it's a slow day on the airwaves. That system also serves as my secondary development PC for radio driver or application stack coding.

I'm currently monitoring railroad traffic on the PCR-1000 connected to it.

Another couple bits of interest: Audio from the R-7000s and all the Bearcat BC gear feed into a pair of NCS Multi-RX units, each of which has a digital audio recorder and DSP-599zx attached. I'm constantly looking for more of those. The O/S and application stacks are common across the PCs, and can be patched or updated remotely. The entire system was designed to run autonomously once each "node" (discretely tasked PC/receiver combo) is started. My home office shares an area with the radio gear - I can't twiddle knobs during the course of meetings so I let the computers do the heavy lifting.