• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM radiios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I doubt you need shielded cable for a couple of inches of adapter length.Some use Cat 5 stranded cable.
I've had issues in the past with stray rf. You don't have to use it. I've seen some opc-617 cables that are shielded, some aren't. A decent option is CAT 5W, the foil shield does pretty well. CAT 5 works as well (the one I pictured was CAT 5).

DODGEIT

Ok I just found out that the folks I am building this repeater for now want a controller interfaced with it. So that changes what I need. Instead of the pigtail cable and the OPC-617 cables Preston Moore offered a Cat Interface cable that basically combines two OPC-617 cables into one that can plug into the controller albeit a CAT200B or since money is tight a ICS Basic Controller Kit. This combined cable is what I need. So is there a source out there that produces this cable other then Preston Moore. He is no longer building any cables. It is getting down to crunch time with this project. I really need to source these. So far I haven't been able to find anything compatible. Any help would be appreciated.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Ok I just found out that the folks I am building this repeater for now want a controller interfaced with it. So that changes what I need. Instead of the pigtail cable and the OPC-617 cables Preston Moore offered a Cat Interface cable that basically combines two OPC-617 cables into one that can plug into the controller albeit a CAT200B or since money is tight a ICS Basic Controller Kit. This combined cable is what I need. So is there a source out there that produces this cable other then Preston Moore. He is no longer building any cables. It is getting down to crunch time with this project. I really need to source these. So far I haven't been able to find anything
compatible. Any help would be appreciated.

If you get a CAT controller, it comes with the DB-25 connector. There is no 'source' that I know of, for the controller interface cable. You need to make it yourself, and it is not all that hard to do. All you need is some shielded 4 conductor cable, and about an hour of time. COR, RX Audio, and Ground on the receive radio, and PTT, TX Audio, and Ground on the TX radio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Your going to have to build it. What kind of control do they need?

Most radio shops I knew who built this kind of repeater either didn't put a controller on our just used something like an id-8 or nhrc micro.

DODGEIT

Mostly they want it for a CWid. But also to be able to access it remotely. The radio can be programmed for hang time and TOT but since it is going in a remote location it needs to have a controller for setting up the ID and remote access.

cabletech

If you are going to put this repeater in a remote location and use a controler of some type, then some things you need to know.

Use the OPC 617 and the a DB9 wired like the xcross over for the radio, on then wire to the controler just like a full xcross over cable.

Radio side of the OPC 617 pin out pin1-VCC pin 2-Dim pin 3-Horn pin 4-gnd pin 5-PAAF pin 6-gnd pin 7-DISC pin 8-gnd pin 9-in pin 10-gnd pin 11-PTT

Now DB 9 side pin 1-Dim or ign control in pin 2-Audio out pin 3-Det. AF out pin 4-tx audio in
pin 5-PTT in pin 6-Horn drive out (COR) pin 7-AF gnd pin 8-Det AF gnd pin 9-TX AF gnd.

This gives you the ablity to build a DB 9 to what ever is on the controler.

Also remember that you CAN NOT have any control of the radio remotely thru the controler unless you have some type of relay on the controler that can turn off power to the radio.

There NO WAY for external radio control.

You also will have a low level TX audio out that is set in the software, I set all of mine at 3 some times at 4, you will need to try yourself for quailty.

Hope this helps.

Project25_MASTR

If you are going to put this repeater in a remote location and use a controler of some type, then some things you need to know.

Use the OPC 617 and the a DB9 wired like the xcross over for the radio, on then wire to the controler just like a full xcross over cable.

Radio side of the OPC 617 pin out pin1-VCC pin 2-Dim pin 3-Horn pin 4-gnd pin 5-PAAF pin 6-gnd pin 7-DISC pin 8-gnd pin 9-in pin 10-gnd pin 11-PTT

Now DB 9 side pin 1-Dim or ign control in pin 2-Audio out pin 3-Det. AF out pin 4-tx audio in
pin 5-PTT in pin 6-Horn drive out (COR) pin 7-AF gnd pin 8-Det AF gnd pin 9-TX AF gnd.

This gives you the ablity to build a DB 9 to what ever is on the controler.

Also remember that you CAN NOT have any control of the radio remotely thru the controler unless you have some type of relay on the controler that can turn off power to the radio.

There NO WAY for external radio control.

You also will have a low level TX audio out that is set in the software, I set all of mine at 3 some times at 4, you will need to try yourself for quailty.

Hope this helps.

Some controllers actually won't key the transmit radio if the repeater is in "knock down". If it was just for ID, I'd say use an ID-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.