Icom shows new IC-R15 at Tokyo Ham Fair

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
"On August 19, 2023, Icom Co., Ltd. exhibited the handheld wideband receiver "IC-R15" as a reference exhibit at the "Ham Fair 2023" venue. The reception frequency range is 76 to 500MHz, and it supports AM/FM/WFM, and can receive two waves simultaneously in all bands. Equipped with an easy-to-read color LCD, equipped with Bluetooth, recording function, Micro SD slot, etc. It supports simultaneous reception of two waves in the V/UHF band."

Sounds like somewhat of a replacement for the IC-R30.

martufello

"On August 19, 2023, Icom Co., Ltd. exhibited the handheld wideband receiver "IC-R15" as a reference exhibit at the "Ham Fair 2023" venue. The reception frequency range is 76 to 500MHz, and it supports AM/FM/WFM, and can receive two waves simultaneously in all bands. Equipped with an easy-to-read color LCD, equipped with Bluetooth, recording function, Micro SD slot, etc. It supports simultaneous reception of two waves in the V/UHF band."

Nice ... but looking at the specifications seems more an improvement of old IC-R10 (without HF) rather than a replacement of IC R30

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Receive range not even close to IC-R30. Looks larger, but more likely an upgrade from the R6. The IC-R6 is a good radio, but small keys and keypad are a negative to easy use. The R15 keypad is different, but looks awkward for entering numbers.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Looks almost identical to the Icom 52a. I had the 52a for a short time. Love the screen. Would have kept it but icon nurtured it by not having all modes for every frequency. If this new receiver does not have SSB, I’ll pass.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
”…somewhat…”
1. Icom product
2. It is a receiver
3. It covers some of the range and modes that the R30 does
4. MicroSD card
5. BT

I agree, it is somewhat of a replacement for the R30 versus an improvement of the R10, or an upgrade of the R6. As it does not offer HF, one would not need to worry about carrying around a suitable HF antenna in their pocket. Looks just right for AM aircraft monitoring and terrestrial/satellite FM stuff.

I enjoy my R30 and expect we will see an Icom R30 successor one day considering the pricing on the used market.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
”…somewhat…”
1. Icom product
2. It is a receiver
3. It covers some of the range and modes that the R30 does
4. MicroSD card
5. BT

I agree, it is somewhat of a replacement for the R30 versus an improvement of the R10, or an upgrade of the R6. As it does not offer HF, one would not need to worry about carrying around a suitable HF antenna in their pocket. Looks just right for AM aircraft monitoring and terrestrial/satellite FM stuff.

I enjoy my R30 and expect we will see an Icom R30 successor one day considering the pricing on the used market.
Think you’re right. With no HF and nothing above 500, maybe it will be a better receiver on the covered frequencies than the R30. Anyone know the steps available? Can’t read Japanese.

palmerjrusa

Receive range not even close to IC-R30. Looks larger, but more likely an upgrade from the R6. The IC-R6 is a good radio, but small keys and keypad are a negative to easy use. The R15 keypad is different, but looks awkward for entering numbers.

That would be quite the upgrade if it is.

palmerjrusa

Think you’re right. With no HF and nothing above 500, maybe it will be a better receiver on the covered frequencies than the R30. Anyone know the steps available? Can’t read Japanese.

It will be very tough to beat the IC-R30 on sensitivity, every time I've done a comparison with my other radios the IC-R30 has never been bested, it frequently comes out ahead. For example, on the military aviation bands it's more sensitive than my AR-DV10.

In addition, the DV10 suffers from intermod in the military aviation bands where I am, have to use a filter.
No intermod problems with the IC-R30 at all.

Last edited:

palmerjrusa

Definitely looks interesting!

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
It will be very tough to beat the IC-R30 on sensitivity, every time I've done a comparison with my other radios the IC-R30 has never been bested, it frequently comes out ahead. For example, on the military aviation bands it's more sensitive than my AR-DV10.

In addition, the DV10 suffers from intermod in the military aviation bands where I am, have to use a filter.
No intermod problems with the IC-R30 at all.
With no HF or digital, maybe it can be better since it concentrates on vhf/uhf only. Hard to say until it gets into the user hands for comparison. Am hoping for it being better than the R30 in the frequencies it covers. Otherwise, why buy it if you have a R30. Does seem strange Icom only went to 500 MHz. For a receiver only, doesn’t make sense since ham HT’s have a wider frequency range. Looking at uniden‘s new scanners coming out, even those are reduced on capabilities. Starting to wonder if governments around the world are restricting manufacturers from wider band receivers. Hard to say. If this has SSB along with what’s listed for modes, and it can go as low as 1 MHz for steps, I’ll buy it. If not, I will pass.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The R30 wasn't designed to compete with the "police scanners" and trunking systems, but entering individual frequencies on 800 MHz were better quality than the scanners with true trunking. For smaller jurisdictions, it was better in quality reception that the trunking radios.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
The R30 wasn't designed to compete with the "police scanners" and trunking systems, but entering individual frequencies on 800 MHz were better quality than the scanners with true trunking. For smaller jurisdictions, it was better in quality reception that the trunking radios.
Have input all frequencies for a specific trunked agency and am close to a scanner for following conversations. But that’s provided I don’t have allot of agencies selected in my group mode. Still pretty dam close. It is more work to set up the R30 compared to a scanner but it’s worth it. R30 is the best handheld receiver on the market. To bad Icom won’t get off there ego and add DMR.

footage

Premium Subscriber
From the post, the design appears to be a compromise between the R30 and the ID-52. I would point out that the ID-52, if matched with a good antenna, is an excellent VHF-UHF scanner, though it lacks P25 and DMR. Is there any hope that someone might "develop" alternative firmware allowing reception of modes that Icom's business model doesn't include?