I'd bet it's not a Structure Fire

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
The Alarm Room just kicked out this:

A6
N GRAND AV/W GREENWAY RD ,SURSTRUCTURE FIREE133+ E308+ CR301 L102+ LT131+ LT305+ BC101 BC301 BC302

The SW corner of that intersection has a cemetery. mortuary, and a crematory. I'd bet there's no uncontrolled fire.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
No uncontrolled fire, but they were engaged in 'doing business'.

I recall getting dispatched to a similar facility to administratively "seize" a corpse for evidence collection by the OME after they mistakenly released the decedent for cremation.

By the time I got there, it was too late [the smoke confirmed my suspicions] and they were roughly 20 minutes into it.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
We used to have calls like that for a similar establishment and then one day, it really did burn down.
I remember many years ago a hospital had an old fire alarm system. Everyday it was giving out false alarms, sometimes two or three times a day.
One day a alarm call came in and before any units got there the hospital called reported it to be another false alarm.
The battalion chief must of decided to play it by the book and sent the first due in to check.
The first engine reported back that there had been a small fire and had been put out by staff members.
The battalion chief confirmed there had been a fire and no other resources were needed, and he was on his way to have a talk with hospital staff.
A few weeks later an article in the local paper announced this hospital was upgrading their fire alarm system.
I heard though the grapevine that the city told the hospital that any call for an alarm would have a full response and the hospital would have to pay for any false alarms that should occur.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Many towns and cities allow a small number of alarm calls annually, but anything over that number and the building/residence owner gets a bill in the mail and a notice that if it isn't promptly paid - they'll be referred for collections.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I remember Baltimore City responding to a report of a fire at a cemetery. The units arriving on the scene reported that it was smoke coming from the crematorium for obvious reasons. Baltimore county had a report of a dwelling fire. It was one of my fellow engineers at the TV station where I worked barbecuing in his back yard. We both had a good laugh about that one.