Inexpensive scanner suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisadafoe

I want to get a new scanner so I can listen to all the digital and "p25" stuff whatever that is. I have a cheesy baofeng f8hp right now. Can you recommend a cheap one that I can purchase to hear this stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I want to get a new scanner so I can listen to all the digital and "p25" stuff whatever that is. I have a cheesy baofeng f8hp right now. Can you recommend a cheap one that I can purchase to hear this stuff?

The Uniden BCD325P2 will allow you to listen to P25 digital. Also DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) with an upgrade. The price will be around $360, give or take. Certainly not as cheap as a Baofeng, but this is what it takes to do trunking, DMR, and P25, which the Baofeng can't handle.

I_am_Alpha1

Hi Lisa,

Welcome. First we need to know where you want to listen with your scanner. There are several types of "digital" signals and you will have to match the scanner to what you want to listen to...for example if you are in a place that uses P25 Phase 1, all of the newer scanners will work. If you want to monitor P25 Phase 2, the list of devices narrows to a few. There is also NXDN, Provoice, DMR, and on. As far as cheap, they are not cheap and the newer they are the more expensive they are.

I just found your other post where you listed what you want to listen to and it's P25 Phase 2. There is also DMR, LTR, and NXDN in your area--yes, lots of letters there. Start with something like a Uniden Homepatrol 2 or a BCD436HP. Enter your zip code and agency categories you want and it'll get you started. After you get the hang of things, you have the option of personalizing it and adding to it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The HomePatrol series will not receive DMR or NXDN.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I second the Uniden BCD325P2. It's a great scanner, even though the operational learning curve is a bit steep. I got mine about a year ago as a refurb deal through Amazon for a bit over $200.

I don't have any desire or need to monitor DMR systems, so I didn't spend the money on the firmware upgrade, but the radio does an excellent job on P25 systems.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I second the Uniden BCD325P2. It's a great scanner, even though the operational learning curve is a bit steep. I got mine about a year ago as a refurb deal through Amazon for a bit over $200.

I don't have any desire or need to monitor DMR systems, so I didn't spend the money on the firmware upgrade, but the radio does an excellent job on P25 systems.

I wasn't aware the firmware upgrade for DMR worked on the 325P2 ???

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 325 cheaper than the 436, but has more memory limitations and is more difficult to program than the 436.

SCPD

QRT
Get the 436

I have a 325P2 with 65 systems including several large P25 and DMR systems. I'm at 9% memory (or 91% free). Scanner does well on DMR and is upgraded for Phase II and still only $360 base. DMR will cost an additional $60 so now your at $420. Proscan will cost you $50 now your at $470. PS can be a trick compared to Home Patrol x36 programmer which is simple. For the money the 436 sounds like a good way to go. You being new to this really do not want to get wrapped up in Whistler software, it's a pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.