Internal GPS Mod Tech Support/Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
While performance and low price are always a good thing, I would sacrifice a little performance for this trip until a get a replacement RYN25DI. A friend emailed me these 2 and I just do not know about the specs to know if they are like the RYN25DI that only needs + - and tx to work. Would like to keep it simple and honestly its something I am only going to use maybe 3 times a year.

The first one says RS232 output but does not mention it in the specs. And the second one says RS232 GPS module but mentions using something about UN for uhart/232 which I dont know anything about.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...f3be-4e81-b3bc-cdcc86b14829&priceBeautifyAB=0

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre..._expid=47845296-10b7-45fb-895c-c948dcf6fdc9-3

In the end, I do need two modules. 1 for the scanner and 1 for a marine radio that has wires to hook up a gps.

Sometimes I wish I knew less about things I know a lot about and more about the stuff I know little about

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
For the marine radio I would use the GPS unit I linked because it is in a waterproof enclosure already, and outputs 4800 baud, the default standard for devices that don't allow adjustments. It's basically a module pre-assembled in a case with a cord.

I don't think the units you linked will arrive any faster than the Reyax, because they both are coming from China or Taiwan.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
For the marine radio I would use the GPS unit I linked because it is in a waterproof enclosure already, and outputs 4800 baud, the default standard for devices that don't allow adjustments. It's basically a module pre-assembled in a case with a cord.

I don't think the units you linked will arrive any faster than the Reyax, because they both are coming from China or Taiwan.

For the marine radio that sounds good. Just solder, shrink wrap and urethane the connection. Not going to leave boat in water but either way whether from rain or garden hose, it will be safe.

If those 2 units will serve the same purpose, with straight rs232 to the scanner, I might try them. Depends how Reyax responds and handles this..

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Globalsat units are what I use for mobile scanners if a Uniden unit isn't available.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Jon, Globalstat came today and now that I am no longer sick as a dog, I am trying to do this but have a question. I have a uniden gps plug that connects to the 436 and is usb on the other. Like the Riswell cable. I took the neg lead and held it to the radio ground. I then checked the pins on the other end that are usb and I am getting -5v on I believe pin 1. I am not going to power the puck from the 436 but should that pin be -5v?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes.

The -5V is RS232 logic 0 coming from the scanner. It's a data signal, not a power supply.

I use it as a power-on signal for my rechargeable GPS units, so they auto power on and off with the scanner.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Jon, Just making sure scanner was not messed up. So it relocated from 90210 to my local area. Blinking red I assume is sat lock. No directions or anything except the mini disc. No I am set for my trip and hopefully by the time I get home, the reyax will be in the mail box..

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes, blinking red means satellite lock on the GlobalSat/Uniden puck.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
FYI, a SDS-100 is on the way. When it arrives, I will do a teardown and look at the feasibility of an internal GPS install.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
FYI, a SDS-100 is on the way. When it arrives, I will do a teardown and look at the feasibility of an internal GPS install.

Heck, I can tear one down. That's a piece of cake, However, jonwienke has the ability to put it back together!!

mancow

Database Admin
I believe we discussed these back in the HomePatrol threads but do you think it would fit in the SDS100 so no holes are necessary? It's difficult to get an idea without actually seeing it in person (radio and how much room is inside with boards fitted).

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13670

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Longer then that. Taking something apart the first time takes longer, I had to do some measurements to locate the GPS correctly, and I ran into some snags. Uniden decided to solder the shield to the circuit board, so the only way to connect the GPS was soldering the signal wire to the USB-mini connector through a hole in the shield maybe 1/2" square. Total PITA.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Looks like the first pic was taken 9 hours before the others (if Onedrive's time stamps are accurate).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Why not one of these so no holes are possibly necessary?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13670

3 reasons:

1. RFI emissions from the GPS module.

2. It's TTL, so a TTL-RS232 converter is needed, which is extra pain in the hassle.

3. They don't get as good of reception as the GPS modules I use.

Also, my unit had the unused screw hole in the back (covered over with a piece of tape inside) and I wanted to get rid of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.