Is it just me or Normal Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Suprised

This whole thread kinda caught me off guard.
I've been listening for 30 years in metro Detroit, and don't think I have never heard a ssn read over the air.
Has anyone from Michigan ever heard it?

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

IN quit it a long time ago, prior to 1990 IIRC. Seems like there was a lawsuit because somebody's SSN got out and somebody got hold of it and did something bad with it. I don't think it was scanner-related, I think it was on a document or a scratch-pad or something that was left out in plain sight and it got disseminated that way. Been too long to remember clearly but if it was due to being put OTA I think I'd remember that. I remember at the time being mad because SSN as OLN was easy to remember and now I was going to have to memorize yet another long string of numbers.:roll:

And I am thinking that is why I almost never hear an SSN put OTA nowadays. I know when I was still involved in LE, broadcasting somebody's SSN was one of the bigger non-statutory no-no's in our Department, and you could get in some serious hot water over it.

sehd510

You think SSN's over the air is bad, I've been listening when more than a few Dispatchers have openly given out Officers home addresses, personal numbers and even a few "Secure Lines" over the main. lmao!

At least they screw everyone over equally, I guess.

SCPD

QRT
True

You think SSN's over the air is bad, I've been listening when more than a few Dispatchers have openly given out Officers home addresses, personal numbers...

Now that I hear quite a bit when an officer wants a ride to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.