Pro-96: Is the Pro-96 still worth purchasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

br0adband

I have a chance to get a Pro-96 that appears to be in good working condition, can't speak for the firmware version or anything of that nature, saw it in a pawn shop for $120 yesterday and I'm considering it. As some folks know I don't even own a physical scanner anymore but instead rely on some "cheap USB TV tuners" aka RTL sticks and SDR software to control/make use of them and I've been relatively happy over the past 18 months or so that I've had them.

I've been hoping to find a "good deal" on a digital handheld and I simply can't afford what the better models go for these days in the $350+ range. I had hoped to pounce on one of those Radio Shack models that were going for some pretty low pricing earlier this year when all those store closing sales were happening but just never got in on one fast enough - seems some folks just loved grabbing 5 or more of them at a time and then selling them for major profits (something I abhor but that's humanity for ya).

Anyway, I know the Pro-96 is roughly 13+ years old nowadays, and limited in many respects but even so, it should work fine as an analog scanner - most of the systems here in the Las Vegas area are still analog in many respects, and with just one major P25 Phase I system that's currently "in progress" and the LVMPD on P25 Phase II hence me having RTL sticks for use with OP25 if needed for that aspect.

DMR/TRBO/NXDN/etc would be handled by the RTL sticks as well when needed as the digital formats are growing more popular all the time but, as noted the big system that I monitor is all analog with some P25 mixed in, and they're in process of moving towards a P25 Phase I switchover with some of the users already on that side of things. I've been able to monitor them using the RTL sticks + Unitrunker + DSD+ without any major hassles but, sometimes it would be nice to have that handheld around just in case.

Been keeping my eye out for something that I could afford and the same pawn shop has a Pro-652 in apparent good condition as well but I'm not sure I'd be interested in that especially since they want $150 for it (with tax on top of those prices, of course). Since neither the Pro-96 or the Pro-652 can be computer controlled that kinda sucks but that's just how it goes. Uniden rules in that respect in my experience and I really wish I had another BC246T at this point, I really miss that awesome little handheld. :)

So the basic question is would the Pro-96 still be a worthy scanner to own overall considering the age? I pretty much know it's a good device, is easily tapped (a plus), and probably very reliable considering the heritage of the GRE built hardware for Radio Shack, but obviously with that age the chance of it just up and dying is great and without the potential for repairs at affordable pricing I'm thinking of passing on it (first scanners I've seen in pawn shops for over 6 months and I keep an eye out for 'em constantly).

Curious to know what other people might do in the same or a similar situation, as well as current Pro-96 owners if you'd care to chime in.

Happy holidays to all, and thanks for any responses.

Swipesy

Based on your location the answer is no. Las Vegas area and Nevada are using the newer P-25 systems for the most part. Secondly, $120 for a Pro-96 is way too much. Maybe $50 to use it on some conventional freq. Save your money.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Pro-652 CAN be computer controlled

Since neither the Pro-96 or the Pro-652 can be computer controlled that kinda sucks but that's just how it goes.

Pro-652 is the "mobile" version of the Pro-651, yes? If that's the case, then ARC500 can control it. I use that to run my Pro-651. But yes, that's more $$ on top of the scanner.

scosgt

PRO-96 is DIGITAL.
It will do Phase 1 no problem.
For the right price worth having. $120 is probably too much since you can still pick up a new PRO-688 for around $200

br0adband

Thanks for the input, I've decided to pass on it because of the price. Not worried about the 700 MHz area, the only thing there is LVMPD and that's P25 Phase II which I can monitor with OP25 (and there's a decent stream of it on Broadcastify nowadays as well - Sunday night when that car accident happened here on the LV Strip that stream was incredibly popular for obvious reasons). Even P25 Phase I is only really used by two systems here and not a big issue either but that $120+tax does seem a bit high - it always irritated me that those scanners, $500+ when brand new, didn't cover MilAir which always prompts me to ask "Why the hell not?" :D

If it was less I'd consider it but the pawn shop just put it out on the shelf for sale about a week ago and even though I'm a regular customer they simply won't reduce the price so, someone else will grab it sooner or later. As for the Pro-652 for the additional expense that one isn't worth it either considering so I'll pass on both and just stick with my trusty RTL sticks for the future I suppose.

Nasby

- it always irritated me that those scanners, $500+ when brand new, didn't cover MilAir which always prompts me to ask "Why the hell not?" :D

It did cover MilAir but you had to use the WIN96 software to "open up" those freqs.

The PRO-96 was a great scanner in it's time. But there are much better values and options out there now.

SCPD

QRT
Not worth it at $120. Have a Pro-96 and 2096 and both are in storage as they had a hard time on a simulcast system I wanted to monitor. Using Uniden and Motorola gear to monitor which work a whole allot better. The battery cover latch on the 96 broke so it does not lock into place and can no longer be purchased. Conventional id not very good. For what little VHF in use here, it performed poorly. If you can get it for $50 or less then it could be a good buy for you.

SCPD

QRT
jwilson2013 if you not using the pro96 would you sell it & if so about what price ? is it working and condition ? bobf9f5

robo21

I recently bought a Radio Shack Pro-106 in "Very Good" used condition on Amazon for $125.00. I would definitely say "No!" to the 96 for $120. Also, there was an Amazon Marketplace seller who had 20 new-in-box Pro-651 scanners for $220 shipped. I was lucky enough to get 2 of those, I didn't realize how lucky until recently when I began shopping for another one. Had I realized what a deal that was I would have bought a couple more.

The point is though, if you shop around, with patience you can find good deals. Don't settle for an obsolete scanner, you will regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.