Pro 96

Jmadouse

we have an old Pro 96. We do still here some communication on it, but it is very limited. It was initially programed by RS when I purchased it. I have no clue how to update/reprogram, etc. I’ve tried over the years to read about it, but I just get lost. Is it worth reprogramming? Or is it to outdated? We are in Michigan, Livingston and Washtenaw counties specifically.

GBLOCK

we have an old Pro 96. We do still here some communication on it, but it is very limited. It was initially programed by RS when I purchased it. I have no clue how to update/reprogram, etc. I’ve tried over the years to read about it, but I just get lost. Is it worth reprogramming? Or is it to outdated? We are in Michigan, Livingston and Washtenaw counties specifically.
The Pro 96 will receive P25 Phase 1 conventional and trunking. To reset the scanner press 0 within 3 seconds after power up then press 1, then ENTER to erase the scanner to factory settings. That will allow you to program the scanner from scratch. Use the Database link on here to lookup you local freqs and let the programming begin.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You are OK with the sites in Livingston and Washtenaw Counties on the MPSCS trunked system since they use 800 MHz frequencies. The Washtenaw County site is simulcast which may cause receive problems depending upon your location. The MPSCS system is P25 Phase 2 capable, but the talkgroups in Livingston and Washtenaw Counties are currently Phase 1 which your scanner can decode. State Police are currently Phase 1 also. Do you have programming software? I use Butel ARC96. What is your city? https://www.radioreference.com/db/sid/100?siteSort=county#sites

Engine104

Member since 2005
I'll second using ARC96 for programming. It works great. The problem is finding the programming cable. You can sometimes fine one on eBay.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Programmed by RS(Radio Shack), raises a BIG RED flag lol, seen many radios programmed by them all over and so many would just put in frequencies for trunked systems is all and usually those are the better programmed versions :cautious: … seriously!

Livingston would be no problem, Washtenaw is a simulcast county(multiple towers) that scanners can have issues with too much signal from different directions and could have garbled audio or missed transmissions. They do better if you live closer to a tower.

Yes I also use ARC96, but you would need a programming cable as well that would cost $29.95 +$1.80 tax.

I sent you a private message, you will see a red envelope in the upper right of the page.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Pro96 uses a stereo adapter, not the mono. Programmed quite a few Pro 96's.
I have always used the mono adapter on the PRO-96. Several sources, including Scanner Master, cited the need. It is good to know that the stereo plug can be used. Thanks! This is from the PRO-96 Radio Reference Wiki:
  • A cloning cable may be fabricated using 2 1/8 inch mono jacks and shielded cable.
The Wiki should be updated that mono and stereo plugs can be used.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Yeah I deleted my comment about that, since I anticipated it could start a debate and it would derail this thread, but I figured you saw it.
I have seen the mono adapter used as well, but as shown in the wiki and I have had better success and only use anymore without the adapter.
Thanks for your response!

Jmadouse

Programmed by RS(Radio Shack), raises a BIG RED flag lol, seen many radios programmed by them all over and so many would just put in frequencies for trunked systems is all and usually those are the better programmed versions :cautious: … seriously!

Livingston would be no problem, Washtenaw is a simulcast county(multiple towers) that scanners can have issues with too much signal from different directions and could have garbled audio or missed transmissions. They do better if you live closer to a tower.

Yes I also use ARC96, but you would need a programming cable as well that would cost $29.95 +$1.80 tax.

I sent you a private message, you will see a red envelope in the upper right of the page.
I saw your message and responded! Thanks

Jmadouse

You are OK with the sites in Livingston and Washtenaw Counties on the MPSCS trunked system since they use 800 MHz frequencies. The Washtenaw County site is simulcast which may cause receive problems depending upon your location. The MPSCS system is P25 Phase 2 capable, but the talkgroups in Livingston and Washtenaw Counties are currently Phase 1 which your scanner can decode. State Police are currently Phase 1 also. Do you have programming software? I use Butel ARC96. What is your city? https://www.radioreference.com/db/sid/100?siteSort=county#sites
I don't have the programming software. I am in Green Oak Township, Livingston County, Michigan.