• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Issues With Keyloading EFJ 5100

Annocht

Hi everyone,

First post here, I’ve been trying to scavenge what information I can off of previous posts but I seem to be having a problem I’m not sure has been discussed thus far. I have six EFJ 5100s I bought, and have been having problems with key loading them. I purchased a KFD shield, hirose pigtail, and Motorola XTS side adapter, and bridged the requisite pins in order to perform the key loading (pictured). My KFD shield passes the self test, and I’ve set the 5100 to SLN (CKR) in PCConfigure 2.6.11, created the associated encryption table and set a few channels to strapped secure and associated key PIDs, and successfully uploaded the programming to the radio. My hirose pigtail has been run to the euro block adapter on the Shield, as displayed in the attached pictures. However; when I plug the 5100 in to the Shield, the radio neither enters keyloading mode nor does the software test detect MR work successfully. It gives the same error message for both trying to upload keys and detect MR - “Error — timeout waiting for data”. The green and blue lights for the Shield both come on when plugged in, and I’m sure the correct COM port is selected as it displays the Arduino/Shield. I’m suspicious my problem lies with either the XTS adapter/my bridge job or my euro block cable/hi rose pigtail but I’m not really sure where to start. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 247DAC70-D896-40F6-B08C-E3E74324315C.jpeg
    247DAC70-D896-40F6-B08C-E3E74324315C.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 63798BD8-25F2-471C-9D1F-DCCFD32C32E6.jpeg
    63798BD8-25F2-471C-9D1F-DCCFD32C32E6.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 34

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
putting radio into keyloading mode should happen when shorting “sense” pin to ground. You could take a piece of wire and jump sense to ground on the side connector and keyloading should display. At this point either your radio doesn’t have hardware encryption module installed (& activated in flash) or the sense pin is not being grounded.

Annocht

putting radio into keyloading mode should happen when shorting “sense” pin to ground. You could take a piece of wire and jump sense to ground on the side connector and keyloading should display. At this point either your radio doesn’t have hardware encryption module installed (& activated in flash) or the sense pin is not being grounded.
That’s a huge help, thank you so much! I’ll give this a shot this weekend and follow up with results

Annocht

That’s a huge help, thank you so much! I’ll give this a shot this weekend and follow up with results
Doubly following up - I went ahead and pulled up PC Issue tonight, got it working, and pulled the options for my radios - they list AES as being enabled on my radios. Boils it down to a hardware issue so I’ll try jumping the pins when I have the chance, most likely this weekend.

Annocht

Doubly following up - I went ahead and pulled up PC Issue tonight, got it working, and pulled the options for my radios - they list AES as being enabled on my radios. Boils it down to a hardware issue so I’ll try jumping the pins when I have the chance, most likely this weekend.
Sadly no dice with the addition of wire between sense and ground - I’ve seen these referenced as pins 2 and 7 elsewhere and are the same two I had bridged originally. Same issues, radios will not enter keyloading. I’m really lost in this process.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Is the 5100 the one that basically has xts3000 guts? If so maybe ask on Motorola forum. I’m new to kvl keyloading so I’m out of ideas. In general I find these kind of problems to be mechanical/electrical. Clean contacts, check for voltage on sense ungrounded and when grounded make sure voltage goes away etc.

rescueman433

For the vpx00 series the keyload adapter and keyfill device must be hooked up and on prior to turning on the radio for it to power up in keyload mode. Give that a try if you are not already, may be the same process for the 51 series.