Jeep Install

N9JIG

Sheriff
My stepson is an avid off-roader and his new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is his pride and joy. He calls it a "Lego set for adults". He was looking for a GMRS radio for it, with the ability to use for ham ops when he gets his ticket. We chose the Anytone AT-5888UV-III, a 2m-440-220 rig that has Part 90 type approval so is good on GMRS. Another good feature is the speaker in the mic, it actually sounds good, better than other CCR's I have used. I have the older AT-5888UV (no 220) and really like it, so this was an obvious choice for his Jeep.

As is common with most vehicles these days interior space is limited so we bought the remote head kit, basically a bracket to hold the removable head. It is connected by CAT-5 cable. The radio itself was stashed up under the dash on the driver's side, pretty much the only place it would fit. This required some serious bodily contortionism and some admittedly janky bracketing but it is secure and out of the way of ventilation, steering columns and other stuff. It is also pretty immune from photographs, the ones I took don't show anything.

What we are most proud of is the remote head setup. We ran a Cat-5 patch cable from the radio up to a pass-thru mounted in a tray on the top of the dash, along with a USB pass-thru for the phone (for CarPlay) and a couple USB charger ports. The head was mounted to an accessory bar with a ball-mount. A short Cat-5 patch cord then connects the head to the port on the dash. We only had a blue short patch but have ordered a replacement black one.

For the antenna he bought an "S" bracket for an NMO mount. For now we are using a UHF 1/4 wave as he is only licensed for GMRS but when he gets his ham license we will replace it with a dual-band antenna.

We are happy with the results, it is easy to view, access and does not block the Nav screen.

Here is the antenna mount. He will likely paint it to match eventually.
Ant1.jpeg
Ant2.jpeg

Here is the remote head mounted to the accessory bar. There is also a mic hanger on the bar along with cellphone charger-mounts.
Front1.jpeg

Here is the remote head mount and cable going to the pass-thru. The blue cable will be replaced by a black one with a right-angle plug when it arrives in a few days..
side.jpeg
Rear1.jpeg

Now we can easily communicate when he is out Jeeping, and he can talk to other Jeeps out in the desert who use GMRS.

OhSixTJ

Nice. I have a gladiator and mounted an ID-5100 on the drivers side a-pillar but this is cool too!

mancow

Database Admin
Super nice clean install! Crazy that vehicle costs about what I paid for my house back in the day.

I'm still pushing my 2010 JKU Sahara around. I guess I'll be like Cheech and Chong and drive it until it's a frame and two seats left. I want one of those Gladiators so bad but I can't bring myself to pay mortgage prices. Of course, every day I wait the price increases.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Darn shame about the antenna.... nearly the entire length of it is next to the metal hood. That's going to impact range of the radio on both Tx and Rx. Hoping someone else with a similar Jeep will chime in on this thread with a better location for the antenna.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Darn shame about the antenna.... nearly the entire length of it is next to the metal hood. That's going to impact range of the radio on both Tx and Rx. Hoping someone else with a similar Jeep will chime in on this thread with a better location for the antenna.

I wholeheartedly agree, however:

For now we are using a UHF 1/4 wave as he is only licensed for GMRS but when he gets his ham license we will replace it with a dual-band antenna.

It'll fix itself when he gets his ham ticket.

I've seen a number of jeeps with radios installed in them, and I'd expect that this install will work better than 90% of them. Some of Jeep owners know zip about radios and buy the crappiest Chinese antenna setups they can get, and then do really stupid azz installs in the name of "low profile" and looks. (See the post about a month ago with some nimrod installing the antenna inside the engine compartment of his pickup)

There are not a lot of good options on a Jeep, just about everything is going to be a compromise of some sort. I did have a coworker who had an old M38 jeep and was an active ham. He put the VHF whip dead center on the hood. Function over beauty.

A half wave UHF antenna would be a good option, or a stacked co-linear.

I'd be interested to see how well a dual band ham antenna is going to work on GMRS coupled with the less than ideal mount. Probably well enough and better than most Jeep installs I've seen, especially those with the Cheap Chinese low profile antennas.

I think this antenna install falls under the heading of "sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do."

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Ooops.... missed the part about the dual-bander coming after the ham ticket. That will help a lot, but bandwidth enough on the dual bander to handle both GMRS and ham use may be an issue (as you noted). It'll work I'm certain as I've done it with various antennas. But you either have to "compromise tune" it between the two services... or pick one for optimization and live with the (usually minor) degradation on the other.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
or pick one for optimization and live with the (usually minor) degradation on the other.

I've found some of the newer multiband antennas from Larsen and EMWave will give low SWR across the VHF and most of the UHF band. Radiation pattern is going to be a challenge, but that's going to be messed up already with the offset ground plane. Anyway, I'd suspect that most GMRS would be used on the trail with other jeeps, and only a short range would be needed.

prcguy

I would highly recommend an NMO mount on the hood near a hinge. This gets the antenna up higher than the side brackets with a good amount of ground plane under it. I took things a little further and removed the plastic curved piece that goes from the cowl down the side of the truck and coated the inside with 2" wide aluminum tape to increase the ground plane in that direction.

I found some high quality Laird trunk lip mounts NIB cheap on eBay and they have been working great.

1687035735528.jpeg
1687036095894.jpeg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I would highly recommend an NMO mount on the hood near a hinge. This gets the antenna up higher than the side brackets with a good amount of ground plane under it. I took things a little further and removed the plastic curved piece that goes from the cowl down the side of the truck and coated the inside with 2" wide aluminum tape to increase the ground plane in that direction.

I found some high quality Laird trunk lip mounts NIB cheap on eBay and they have been working great.

Would this be an application for the COMPACtenna SCAN III that you've recommended in the past?

1687038675795.png

prcguy

Would this be an application for the COMPACtenna SCAN III that you've recommended in the past?

View attachment 143885
Well, yes! I run a COMPACtenna on the back upper bed rail most of the time and sometimes on the front hood mounts like this.

1687039696056.png

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I totally get the concern on the low mounting point for the antenna. For his purposes it should nt present an issue. 99% of the use is going to be when they are in Jeep-Packs out in the desert so range will not be an issue. If it even does become an issue in the future we will address it.

As it is we did some playing around and he had no problem hearing and talking to me 20 miles away on simplex.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have a Compactenna and it seems to perform as well as other dual band whips. We might end up using it in the future.

prcguy

I found a picture of how I added ground plane material to the plastic pieces either side of the cowl. The last picture is an NMO mount with COMPACtenna on the upper bed rail behind the rear window, something for a Jeep Gladiator but not the Wrangler. That is what I run most of the time on a Harris XG-100M multiband.

cowl-part-jpg.153751

1687040856663.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I totally get the concern on the low mounting point for the antenna. For his purposes it should nt present an issue. 99% of the use is going to be when they are in Jeep-Packs out in the desert so range will not be an issue. If it even does become an issue in the future we will address it.

As it is we did some playing around and he had no problem hearing and talking to me 20 miles away on simplex.

Good to hear. I was always happy with a 1/4 wave UHF whip on the roof of my truck. Had no issues getting range like that simplex on GMRS.

mancow

Database Admin
I found a picture of how I added ground plane material to the plastic pieces either side of the cowl. The last picture is an NMO mount with COMPACtenna on the upper bed rail behind the rear window, something for a Jeep Gladiator but not the Wrangler. That is what I run most of the time on a Harris XG-100M multiband.

cowl-part-jpg.153751

View attachment 143887
The cowl ends are now plastic??? WTF?

mancow

Database Admin

View attachment 143871
View attachment 143872
I agree. I have one there and also one where the original post author has his. The hood lip works the best.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider

I was going to mention the same. On my JK I have the antenna in a similar spot (closer to rear of hood door area) but on a stainless bracket. Its used for GMRS. I started with the Laird Phantom but switched to a Larsen 1/4 wave. I use it for GMRS or TLMR. Neither have ever ran into issues. If I'm on TLMR I have plenty of towers and its a portable coverage system. If I'm on GMRS I'm talking to the jeep in front or behind. Even limited repeater stuff has been fine. I think folks need to look at use case. While maybe not an ideal setup for a SAR simplex channel for hobby stuff it may work fine.

My JT I did mount a NMO to the light bracket that puts it above the hood. That has the Larsen all band (APX8500) and has worked the same as the JT.