Johnson County (Texas) P25 700 Mhz system

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgv1971

The to 106 is hard to program. I have tried many times with no luck. I can't even hear anything on the VHF frequencies with pro 106. Any help would be great. I have the 800mgz antenna.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The to 106 is hard to program. I have tried many times with no luck. I can't even hear anything on the VHF frequencies with pro 106. Any help would be great. I have the 800mgz antenna.
As I indicated above, if you have the pc cable, and either Win500 or PSREdit500, I can make you a programming file.

The Pro-106 is virtually identical to the PSR-500. Both are made by GRE. The only significant difference is in the front panel layout (speaker & display placement).

The GRE scanners are very sensitive, but that comes with a catch- they can be so sensitive that they overload and actually hear less if using a gain antenna, or if there are nearby signal sources, such as cell towers or broadcast band transmitters. In town, I can't use the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna on my PSR-500. I'm surrounded by a forest of cellular towers in a 1/4 to half mile radius. The scanner simply overloads & desenses on the 800MHz bands used by many of the trunked systems. So, in town, I use the stock antenna, & hear most of them very well, as well as the Vhf-high smaller cities in southern Dallas County, as well as most of Ellis & Kaufman counties. Johnson County is in somewhat of a dead spot for me, since it's on the back side of Cedar Hill to me, blocking the signal path. I can get limited, weak/scratchy reception of the S.O. if I'm using a rooftop antenna, but not on a handheld, with a whip antenna, at ground level.

jasday

Rgv, I know the 106 seems complicated, but with software it is was easier to program than my 996xt, both of which I have. The key word is using software. I use arc software for both of the scanners so all I have to do is copy and paste between the two. Ive tried several different of the programming software and found that arc is the easiest, so buying that with the 996xt was an easy choice. Feel free to contact me for help and if youll get arc for the 106 I wouldnt mind setting it up for you.

ASTRO2001

Johnson County Fire ESD

Is the Fire Dept. Like Alvarado Fire and other going over to this network?

ce2576

Is the Fire Dept. Like Alvarado Fire and other going over to this network?

I would think that at some point the entire county will eventually be on the new system. The question
in my mind is where do they stand as far as money for radios and such. Maybe some folks in the know
are on this board and can provide some additional insight.

ce2576

Noticed tonight that the Joshua PD talkgroup is active but encrypted. The other night their was activity on it but it was all in the clear.
I have also noticed encrypted traffic on 5786. Not sure as to whom this talkgroup is assigned to. A while back I noticed Cleburne PD2
popping up with encrypted traffic. Speaking of Cleburne PD, they were using the system while working their Christmas Parade last Friday night.

As far as the other users, Johnson County SO is quite active, and all traffic that I've heard so far is in the clear.
I've heard them use TAC 1 a couple of times. I have also heard activity on the Constable talkgroup's.

I sure hope that the encrypted traffic that is popping up now, is only temporary or perhaps they are just testing out the capability of it. I am planning on upgrading my Uniden BCT-15 for a Uniden BCT-996XT but I would sure hate to spend nearly $500, only to have them encrypt everything. Which is their
right to do, but I don't agree with full system encryption. Like the majority of scanner listener's, I do support encryption on sensitive talkgroups like SWAT, narcotics,etc...

Hopefully someone who is 'in the know is on RR and reads this post and can expound on what the county is planning in terms of encryption.
I'd sure like to know what their plan is before I go plopping down $500 on a new scanner.

I should note that currently I am using my handheld BCT-396T to monitor the FW Regional System.

Status
Not open for further replies.