Johnstown Housing Authority

RedPenguin

Does anyone know what has happened to JHA?

They were on 464.175 for ages even though that license was expired. They seemed to completly vanish around mid-Dec and no one I know has found them since.

I tried their 2020 license of 453.925 and still nothing.

Their really old frequency of 463.85 is now a trunking system from Centre Communications. No clue where Medvan went then as they used to use 463.85 also.

Did they move to ICORRS? I didn't think non-emergency were being put on the system though.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Even though I've been wrong before, I seriously doubt that they moved to Cambria's TRS system. My guess is they either transitioned to using cell phones or their vendor moved them to a community repeater. The next time you see a worker take note if he/she is carrying any type of radio. If they are, take a glimpse of it, that would be helpful information. Or you could approach them and politely ask

RedPenguin

Even though I've been wrong before, I seriously doubt that they moved to Cambria's TRS system. My guess is they either transitioned to using cell phones or their vendor moved them to a community repeater. The next time you see a worker take note if he/she is carrying any type of radio. If they are, take a glimpse of it, that would be helpful information. Or you could approach them and politely ask
I did catch a quick glimpse and all I could tell was it was very rectangle-like and had no visible external antenna like most agencies that I see.

It kinda looked like this vintage CB.

I was surprised how square it was as most agencies I see, use HTs with more rounded sides.

Attachments

• D05A434B-AEFC-46A8-BC11-F45CDBA40217.jpeg
    D05A434B-AEFC-46A8-BC11-F45CDBA40217.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 13

RedPenguin

I tried a few searches but didn’t find anything yet.

I found some random frequency that don’t seem to be in the FCC database, or don’t make sense to who they are registered to.

454.95MHZ
463.475MHZ
464.325MHZ (says CTC, but only 4w and no where near Richland).
464.5MHZ (Sounds like a geo testing company for construction)
464.55MHZ (Sounds like a flagger crew)

I did find out that their radios sound analog still but nobody knows of the frequency.

J-B-R

I talked to a maintenance worker in Oakhurst. By what was explained, they may be using PTT over cellular. He said they use it as walkie talkie as well as cell phone. Also said it is private to be heard only by the workers. I did not see the unit, but will post when I learn more.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
That would not surprise me. Probably cheaper in long run as only have to maintain cell phones. Probably using a sonim cell phone with ptt button on them. All major carriers have a ptt over cellular option.

RedPenguin

I seen a close up of their radios.

They appear like your typical HT/WTs but it keeps chirping before every transmission. It was like their radio had a bird stuck in it lol.

Oddly the voices sound analog and not modulated like P25 or other digital technologies.