June 2023 ARRL VHF Contest

I had almost forgot about this contest-- and of all the contest that come around, this is a favorite. Its about the only real chance to dust off my Six metre radio and recall the glory days of an active "6."

We were having a Saturday Bar-B-Que here, and I had parked my Icom 575 on 50.125.....a big whoping 10 Watts to a 5/8th's Ringo vertical.... All was quiet that afternoon-- when its squelch broke --

"KH6*** calling CQ contest" (59+)

A friend, who is also a ham, said

"isn't that Hawaii, and that's six metre's ?!"

"Well, " I said "be my guest"
"Go ahead and answer them11"

As the brief exchange took place some other Bar-B-Que'r, non hams, listening in, said

"That's pretty cool!"
"Can you always talk to Hawaii like that?"

"Oh, we do that all the time !! ;)

Lauri

________________________________________________________________________-

The contest is still going on but the band is dead today (Sunday.)

That's great !

We play'd around a tiny bit more on Saturday, moving on up the band to capture a few CN and CM Grid Squares (I am a "DM.") All this with 10 Watts and a vertical-- but then too, when Six is open you can work the world with flashlight power and wet string for an antennas.

Except for the KH6 we did not a have a very good showing for Six. At least from my past experiences-- but then too we were not pursuing it very aggressively... and kept no log.

I fear my memory is coloured by past solar seasons filled with F Skip-- maybe it will all rise again ! :)

Lauri

Last edited: