Just ordered the 325P2. Any tips?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Found it. Get these.

here is the thread from the past on this

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Already bought external usb batteries. Did this when I owned a 436 for 24 hours of continuous scanning.
I do the same with mine too, it just isn't really a good option for on the go listening, too bulky and I get afraid of the power connection on the scanner getting damaged being plugged and unplugged so often. Irrational? Maybe. But they ain't cheap that's for sure.

I picked up a couple Ravpower 20,000mah battery packs for about $17 each a few years ago. They last days on end.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I will start looking for a large case that can hold both scanner and usb battery. Didn't have any luck looking for one for the 436. Am assuming the 532 is a little smaller. The new scanner Uniden is coming out with looks to use the same scanner shell as the 532.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Anyone that owns a 532 and 436 have an opinion on which works better overall? My order got canceled on amazon so now have to decide if I want to go back to the 436 since I know it well, or order a 532 from someone like HRO who has them in stock.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, meant 352P2.
The 325P2 is a much smaller, "handy" sized scanner for a grab & go unit. If you have one or more simulcast systems of interest in your area, the 436HP is somewhat better handling those versus the 325P2. The 436HP, of course, is a better choice for traveling with the built in database. But as long as you are not fighting simulcast issues, or extensive traveling, the 325P2 is a good choice. As already noted, using an external battery pack, one of the power banks used for phones & tablets, helps to negate the issue of a reduced battery life.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I've had a 325P2 since 2018. I don't really monitor that much simulcast, so I can't address that issue.

It's generally a good radio with decent sensitivity and selectivity with the stock antenna. I use rechargeable batteries and the battery life could be better, especially when I have the volume up high. The hand friendly form factor makes it easy to hold, but also difficult to securely mount in a cellphone vise mount.

I don't like the software style on/off. I much prefer a traditional switch so I can power the radio (in my vehicle) from external power. When the power goes off, so does the radio and when the power goes back on, the radio does,, too. I'm also not fond of the USB mini or micro (?) connector. Should have had USB-C.

My most annoying complaint is the clunky way the quick keys work to access systems and groups. I also don't like not being able to lock out a trunked system (the individual sites within the system have to be locked out).

W6VVM

I never realized how useful the keypad backlight was on my 436 or SDS100 until I used my 125AT in the dark. I don’t have a 352 but I’m pretty sure it also lacks a keypad backlight, being the same form factor as the 125AT.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Terrible audio on the 325. I have SDS radios for me but to non-enthusiasts I tell them WS-1040

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I own a 325P2 as well but it's purely a backup scanner. The primary reason I bought it was so I can have a portable USB scanner that can run Pro96com. You can't with the 436HP or SDS-100.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like it has its pluses and minuses. It’s more a portable backup to my R30. But since my R30 doesn’t have DMR, this will have to do. New order in today so should be hear shortly.

palmerjrusa

Sounds like it has its pluses and minuses. It’s more a portable backup to my R30. But since my R30 doesn’t have DMR, this will have to do. New order in today so should be hear shortly.

If there's any performance differences between the 325 and the 436, I've yet to discover them.

The 325 is a great little scanner, though it's the most complex to program of any scanner I've ever had (the Butel software helps here).

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
used to own a 396T. Talk about total PITA to program. Took me 2 months to figure it out. But once I did, was a good scanner back then.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Just my opinion, but I think the audio on the 325 is fine, better than the SDS100, which is not great.
I agree that BOTH could use improved audio. My 100 is at full volume when I take it in the car and it still needs more.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
The 325 is a great little scanner, though it's the most complex to program of any scanner I've ever had (the Butel software helps here).
Haha, I'd say the exact opposite. It's super simple to program and can be done from the keypad. The 436/536 series were the most confusing when they were first introduced.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I find the 325 is very simple to program, both manually and using software. The software is much faster and easier than using the scanner menus. I wore out the scroll control on a scanner selecting characters for alpha tags on a large trunked system. I also use Butel ARC-XT for my 325.