• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX 5000 DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndejohn

Premium Subscriber
OK. I have an NX-5700/NX-5800 configured in multi-deck with a single control head. I was hoping for a little help when it came to DMR Site Roaming and the programming associated with making this work.

In the NX-5800, I have a system set up for "DMR Site Roaming" under " System Type". Under "Personal Features" > "DMR" > I have my Base ID Type as "Group ID", I have "Active Site Hunt" checked so the radio will find the best site for me, I have "Radio Check" checked, under "Parameters, I have everything at default;
- Number of Retries - 2
- Transmit Busy Wait Time (s) - 10.0
- Maximum ACK Wait Time (s) - 2.0
- Sync Wakeup Wait Time (ms) - 360
- Number of Wakeup Message Retries - 2
- Preamble Length - 16, 960ms
Under "Individual Call Acknowledge Request" > I have "Individual Call Acknowledge Request" checked, and lastly "DMR Message Type" is checked.

Now, moving into the actual Personalities where the frequency information goes, is where I am getting a little confused. Before I get into the details, let me give a little background on the system I am trying to program:

The system was designed as a MotoTrbo DMR Conventional System with IP site connect. There are 3 different repeater sites and all the MotoTrbo radios are programmed to roam to the best site, depending on the location of the specific unit. This is done through the RSSI signal. For this particular system, there are three (3) group ID's programmed.

So, I have all of the sites programmed in, as an individual personality. For example, I have 6 personalities, with their associated names because some of the group ID's go to different color codes. Channels 1 and 2 have different frequencies from Channels 3 and 4, and 5 and 6, as they are at different sites.

So, moving on to How do I make this all work? Do I program each personality with the "Selcall on PTT" to off? When the radio roams to a site, I want to be able to select which group I want to place a call on or talk on for that matter. I guess what I am looking to do is have the radio determine the best site for me to be on, and then I want to select which group I want to transmit on.

Can someone give me a little guidance on this?

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in your settings and finding in doing roaming. I have not tried it myself and I have the same setup as you described.

My question is, will the kenwood roaming work correctly on a motorola conventional ip site connect system? Or does it have to be a kenwood dmr system?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I am told it works well over in the UK from a couple guys over there. Settings I'm not sure what they are.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ndejohn

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in your settings and finding in doing roaming. I have not tried it myself and I have the same setup as you described.

My question is, will the kenwood roaming work correctly on a motorola conventional ip site connect system? Or does it have to be a kenwood dmr system?

Send me your email and I'll share my code plug with you. Please keep it confidential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazyboy

OK. I have an NX-5700/NX-5800 configured in multi-deck with a single control head. I was hoping for a little help when it came to DMR Site Roaming and the programming associated with making this work.

In the NX-5800, I have a system set up for "DMR Site Roaming" under " System Type". Under "Personal Features" > "DMR" > I have my Base ID Type as "Group ID", I have "Active Site Hunt" checked so the radio will find the best site for me, I have "Radio Check" checked, under "Parameters, I have everything at default;
- Number of Retries - 2
- Transmit Busy Wait Time (s) - 10.0
- Maximum ACK Wait Time (s) - 2.0
- Sync Wakeup Wait Time (ms) - 360
- Number of Wakeup Message Retries - 2
- Preamble Length - 16, 960ms
Under "Individual Call Acknowledge Request" > I have "Individual Call Acknowledge Request" checked, and lastly "DMR Message Type" is checked.

Now, moving into the actual Personalities where the frequency information goes, is where I am getting a little confused. Before I get into the details, let me give a little background on the system I am trying to program:

The system was designed as a MotoTrbo DMR Conventional System with IP site connect. There are 3 different repeater sites and all the MotoTrbo radios are programmed to roam to the best site, depending on the location of the specific unit. This is done through the RSSI signal. For this particular system, there are three (3) group ID's programmed.

So, I have all of the sites programmed in, as an individual personality. For example, I have 6 personalities, with their associated names because some of the group ID's go to different color codes. Channels 1 and 2 have different frequencies from Channels 3 and 4, and 5 and 6, as they are at different sites.

So, moving on to How do I make this all work? Do I program each personality with the "Selcall on PTT" to off? When the radio roams to a site, I want to be able to select which group I want to place a call on or talk on for that matter. I guess what I am looking to do is have the radio determine the best site for me to be on, and then I want to select which group I want to transmit on.

Can someone give me a little guidance on this?

I have just recently started playing with DMR Roaming so take it for what it is worth. It would seem the best way would be to make a personality for the first group call, check off active site hunt, add the three repeaters frequency, color code, time slot and set the sel call on ptt to the first group call. Now when you go to zone channel you just add the first channel from this personality and name it whatever the group call is. Now whenever you go to this channel on the radio, it will allow roaming across the three repeaters for only that group call. Now repeat the whole process for each group call.

crazyboy

I seem to be overlooking something when using the menu based call lists rather than selcall on ptt. I navigate to the correct group call via the menu, key up and the radio shows that group call on the display and gives the proceed tone. However, as soon as I release the ptt the radio goes back to the normal channel, no longer allowing me to listen or talk on that group again unless I go back through the menu.

RK3AAG

I seem to be overlooking something when using the menu based call lists rather than selcall on ptt. I navigate to the correct group call via the menu, key up and the radio shows that group call on the display and gives the proceed tone. However, as soon as I release the ptt the radio goes back to the normal channel, no longer allowing me to listen or talk on that group again unless I go back through the menu.
It's okay and as must be. Program Group call in channel if you need it forever.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I will look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

RK3AAG

Thats how I typically do it, channel per group call. Just playing around with menu items and other features
But what you expected? That menu keypress will permanently overcome radio settings (set by system admin via FPU)? And other radio user will expect typical behaviour but actually radio will do something esle?

crazyboy

But what you expected? That menu keypress will permanently overcome radio settings (set by system admin via FPU)? And other radio user will expect typical behaviour but actually radio will do something esle?

Since I'm not really sure what you are asking, I expected a channel with no group call selected to be able to hold a group call, or private call, by selecting the target via the menu once until x amount of inactivity or exiting via menu option.

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
Since I'm not really sure what you are asking, I expected a channel with no group call selected to be able to hold a group call, or private call, by selecting the target via the menu once until x amount of inactivity or exiting via menu option.

Mine (I forget at the moment where/how) does this for 300 seconds (max number). Its one of the auto resets.

I program all ham repeaters with a TS 1 and TS 2 channel and group scan on both TS's. Then just select my TG I want and it'll hold it for 300 seconds on the radio. Granted, it'll still pick up all groups due to the group scan if your TG times out through the repeater. Which depending on the repeater owner, 5-10 minutes then the TG times out and goes back to what ever statue the owner has it set.

Works good for me.

Ed

crazyboy

Mine (I forget at the moment where/how) does this for 300 seconds (max number). Its one of the auto resets.

I program all ham repeaters with a TS 1 and TS 2 channel and group scan on both TS's. Then just select my TG I want and it'll hold it for 300 seconds on the radio. Granted, it'll still pick up all groups due to the group scan if your TG times out through the repeater. Which depending on the repeater owner, 5-10 minutes then the TG times out and goes back to what ever statue the owner has it set.

Works good for me.

Ed

Thanks! That worked, knew it was something simple.

Last edited:

kc1efx

Premium Subscriber
Setup

What a cool feature. I know this has been around with Motorola equipment for a while but I've been scratching my head the past week trying to figure this out with the NX5000's series which we use for our Public Safety network. This thread came up through a google search so I figured I'd post my findings in case anyone else is after the same goal as I am. The below is how I have this setup for the DMR-MARC network up here in the North East.

Setup: NX-5700 (VHF) with KCH-21R (Remote HT Head)

So this is how I have it configured in KPG-D1N
Two personal systems configured with my ID. One as 'DMR ROAM TS1' other as 'DMR ROAM TS2' default settings. Today I'm going to try out the 'Active Site Hunt' to see how that works.

I have two Zones configured accordingly one as 'DMR TS1' other as 'DMR TS2''. Every VHF repeater in the area is programmed in with Talk Group Scan selected. The selcal on each channel is Group 9 (local). I've put in all the group ID's I want and changed under the DMR information | Signaling Reset Timer | to 300s (or 5 minutes).

What this does essentially is I switch Zones based on what Timeslot I'm looking for, preprogrammed one of the remote head buttons to pull up a group list. Select the group call I'm looking for then hit the PTT. The radio holds this for 5 minutes or will auto reset when it detects its back on the hook.

I'll post any further findings after I try this out on my trip today. If anyone has any suggestions or questions please post back!

-Tony
KC1EFX

bondo_06092

Premium Subscriber
What a cool feature. I know this has been around with Motorola equipment for a while but I've been scratching my head the past week trying to figure this out with the NX5000's series which we use for our Public Safety network. This thread came up through a google search so I figured I'd post my findings in case anyone else is after the same goal as I am. The below is how I have this setup for the DMR-MARC network up here in the North East.

Two personal systems configured with my ID. One as 'DMR ROAM TS1' other as 'DMR ROAM TS2' default settings. Today I'm going to try out the 'Active Site Hunt' to see how that works.

I have two Zones configured accordingly one as 'DMR TS1' other as 'DMR TS2''. Every VHF repeater in the area is programmed in with Talk Group Scan selected. The selcal on each channel is Group 9 (local). I've put in all the group ID's I want and changed under the DMR information | Signaling Reset Timer | to 300s (or 5 minutes).

What this does essentially is I switch Zones based on what Timeslot I'm looking for, preprogrammed one of the remote head buttons to pull up a group list. Select the group call I'm looking for then hit the PTT. The radio holds this for 5 minutes or will auto reset when it detects its back on the hook.

I'll post any further findings after I try this out on my trip today. If anyone has any suggestions or questions please post back!

-Tony
KC1EFX

Keep us updated on how this works out for you. I have been playing around with how to set up my DMR and I like this idea. Now just need to get site roaming to work...

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber

-Tony
KC1EFX

Does this work for you? I've tried extending Signaling Reset Timer out to 5 minutes, but it drops off the group after several seconds. I tried setting Auto Reset Timer to 5 minutes, and it appears to work... However, when scanning it hangs on a DMR channel after they release for the 5 min duration. Kind of defeats scanning.

kc1efx

Premium Subscriber
Does this work for you? I've tried extending Signaling Reset Timer out to 5 minutes, but it drops off the group after several seconds. I tried setting Auto Reset Timer to 5 minutes, and it appears to work... However, when scanning it hangs on a DMR channel after they release for the 5 min duration. Kind of defeats scanning.

I ran into that issue as well. The best solution I have so far is to set the back button as “clear” to reset the timer and enable on and off hook detection so that when I place the mic back into the holder it resumes group scan. Separating the time slots into two separate zones has also worked well. I keep a laminated cheat sheet for the standard group calls with their perspective time slots in the car in case I forget which time one I should be on.

I’ll keep posting with updates for any changes I make. Let me know if you need more detail regarding those settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.