• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK8180 front end alignment for improved RX sensitivity - Update

g8tzl2004

The below posting was from 2017 and regarded re-aligning the front end of a TK8180 to improve RX sensitivity. The factory defaults do not provide optimum RX sensitivity. After re-aligning the front end. RX sensitivity performance is very good.

I have recently acquired another TK8180 which was from a later production run. I found that the "factory default" values had been changed which resulted in better RX sensitivity "out of the box" but I was able to still improve sensitivity by again re-aligning the front end.

The original default values from the service manual were 95, 123, 151, 173, 195.

The later default values in the newer TK8180 radio were 90, 117, 144, 165, 186

The new optimum values after re-alignment were 70, 105, 120, 165, 190

NOTE that the new optimum values were almost identical to the optimum values from the earlier TK8180..the only difference was 120 for the 3rd value rather than 130..but using 130 would probably make little difference!!

I also changed the narrow SQ threshold values (L,C,H) from 175, 169 and 166 to 130, 129 and 128. The TK8180 SQ now opens on really weak signals.

The front end filters on my UHF TK8180 were originally 94, 122, 150, 172, 194 and the values after alignment were 70, 105, 130, 165, 190.

The service manual default values were more or less identical to the original values in my radio (there was actually a difference of 1 unit for some reason (95, 123, 151, 173, 195)...but tuning is so broad that 1 unit has no difference...its actually difficult to notice a sensitivity change on a 5-10 unit difference!!).

However, the optimum values in my TK8180 will not necessarily be the optimum values in your radio...you really need to align your radio using a very weak signal source...ideally a signal generator...then you can tune the front end filters for maximum quieting ie. less hiss.

Its best to use a signal generator but a great source of a weak signal is the local oscillator of a HT or scanner. I use my Kenwood TH-F6 which has an IF of 57.6MHz. To get to a test frequency , say 400.05 MHz, you subtract 57.6 from 400.05 which equals 342.45MHz...so if I set the RX on my TH-F6 to 342.45, the RX local oscillator will put out a super weak signal on 400.05 MHz...which can be used to align the TK8180. Connect the TK8180 to, say, a mag mount antenna and then bring the TH-F6 close to the antenna so that you hear a super weak signal on the TK8180..and then align for maximum quieting. You need to repeat this for all 5 test frequencies.. 400.05 to 469.95 MHz.

Different HT's have different IF freqs so you will need to research the IF of your UHF HT. Also sometimes you need to add or subtract the IF freq to get a weak signal on a test freq. Experiment using two HT's - one on RX and the other as a weak signal source using the IF freq!!!

tlemke940

Feed Provider
unfortunately those numbers don't really mean anything as far as tuning. they are just numbers. those numbers are different between radio to radio. what is truly needed to do this correctly is a service monitor or a signal generator if all you are doing is RX. there is a lot more equipment needed if doing a full alignment. the way you are doing it is not recommended due to variations in the different equipment and if only one is off by a few hz it can mess the whole thing up. you will need something like this to do what you are trying to do if you want to keep it on the cheap side of things there are better options out there too.

g8tzl2004

The numbers are the softpot values which I used to tune the TK8180 front end BPF's to optimise RX sensitivity. The values need to be interpreted together with the RX alignment section of the service manual :) The TX is spot on and no re-alignment was required.

I also stated that its best to use a signal generator and that the optimum values in my TK8180 will not necessarily be the optimum values in other radios :)

The Kenwood TK8180 (and TK3180 handheld) is one of the few radios in my "collection" which don't seem to be optimised in the factory for best RX performance. Maybe its to do with intermod performance??

Having now re-aligned the front end of several TK8180's and TK3180's, the improvement in RX sensitivity is very noticeable. I have also found that there is not much difference in the optimal values between different TK8180's..but its always best to carefully align each radio rather that just use the stated values.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Kenwood radios seem to suffer from needing an alignment right out of the factory and most dealers will neglect that.

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
The problem I encountered with this is finding a willing dealer. Those I approached would simply say it "meets factory specs" and refuse to realign it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The problem I encountered with this is finding a willing dealer. Those I approached would simply say it "meets factory specs" and refuse to realign it.
Even the almighty MSI put out an MTN telling shops not to align APX radios unless an RF component was replaced or the radio fails to meet specs. It actually said "if it works, don't fix it" in the MTN. This came out within the last two years.
All of the manufacturers are going this route.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Back when XTL's were newish, I had a State agency who wanted KENWOOD radio's. But good ole Austin HQ insisted on M.
So they decided on a in the field test.
After the test, they had me come over and had a meeting. They all agreed that KENWOOD was preferred. And they ordered I think 30 mobiles to start.
Of course HQ wasnt happy, and they gave them the reporr of the field test.
I was then asked to check the M xtl's and oh my.....these were vhf conv. and the rx senstivity sucked...I had 2 of those folk watch me so no one could say I did anything to make it look bad.
So, anything is possible no matter the make or model.

g8tzl2004

XTL's have a 4dB RX pre-amp built in BUT its NOT usually enabled as standard. Once the pre-amp is switched on (using software), RX performance is OK...almost in line with an analog MCS2000 :)

I was disappointed with the RX sensitivity of my XTL2500 until I switched on the built in RX pre-amp.

With regard to Kenwood, I have generally found that VHF Kenwood's (eg TK7180, NX1700, TK270) have good RX performance out of the box whereas UHF Kenwood's (eg TK8180, TK3180) require re-alignment. I think RX front end alignment on VHF Kenwood's is very flat so the "default" values are OK...while this is not the case with UHF Kenwood's and a good improvement in RX sensitivity can be achieved with careful re-alignment.