LARGE Chemical Plant Fire In Rockton (Chemtool)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyC

About an hour ago when I was out and about I heard a page go out for a "tanker task force" from MABAS Div. 25 (Here in LaSalle County) to go to Rockton "in the morning". I heard about this fire last night but it appears to still be going and looks like they're anticipating it "going for awhile"

Fire Rages On At Chemtool Plant In Rockton, Illinois; Those Within 3 Miles Told To Wear Masks Outside – CBS 2: News, Weather, Sports On All Platforms (cbslocal.com)
Rockton fire: Authorities issue a mandatory evacuation for those near Illinois Chemtool facility (msn.com)

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I know right where that is. Lived in Rockford/Belvidere area from 1972-87. My relatives are up by the east side of Rock Cut state park but they're not included in the evacuate radius. They're too far south and east for that. They just decided to let it BURN off and quit wasting water on it.. ha. What a (disaster)

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I know right where that is. Lived in Rockford/Belvidere area from 1972-87. My relatives are up by the east side of Rock Cut state park but they're not included in the evacuate radius. They're too far south and east for that. They just decided to let it BURN off and quit wasting water on it.. ha. What a (disaster)
I think they are concerned that the water used to fight the fire would run off into the Rock River and contaminate it. Nothing much left of the building anyway .

Elpato

Premium Subscriber
It was a pretty big fire.. I was able to see the smoke with a drone at about 325ft in Elgin at around 6pm Monday.. almost 12 hours after it started

Status
Not open for further replies.