Large Loop Antenna for MW reception, Teminated/Unterminated

MavamQ

Hi all,
I'm interested in MW and LW reception.
I want to install a large loop 70ft long x 21ft? tall. I'm looking at this loop page and it has 50ft and 80ft and more lengths.
The SuperLoop: A super-sized terminated corner-fed broadband loop. Picture posted if you don't want to go to the link.
I want to get the proper dimensions for the largest Null. But I don't see how to extrapolate the proper height from the numbers.
I suspect is is between 3.3 and 4. Any thoughts?
Also, in my searches, I don't find any info on how high to have the bottom wire from the ground.
Thanks for your thoughts.

P.S I want to make it 70ft, because later I have another antenna that requires 70ft spacing of my support poles.
I only want to build the supporting structures once.
If there is a better forum for MW antenna question?

Not sure why my picture didn't post.

Loop Large Antenna Sizes for best Null.jpg

I had a Flag antenna years ago and it was up 14 ft, I'm now thinking with a loop antenna
like this, higher of the ground is better.

Dirk_SDR

Not directly an answer to your question,- but are you up to build a SULA:
...?
If yes, it should be turnable, because you possibly don't get many AM stations in the direction of the termination resistor (= null). Or: how do you manage to turn such a large antenna?

MavamQ

I have seen that build, I have also had a rotatable variable Termination Flag antenna.
The SULA has a -85DBI in the MW band and even lower in the LW band.
I want to experiment with a shorted termination resistoon the 70ft loop to see if I can get a couple of stations
1000+ miles away that I have only had seconds of. The gain is 30db higher with the resistor shorted.
I don't plan to rotate the 70ft loop, I'm on the Gulf coast and mostly want to null lightning
storm static coming from the South.
Thanks for being the first to respond.
Mikek

Last edited:

13dka

The SULA only comes somewhat to life around 1MHz, above 1MHz it's quickly getting better and good enough for some light TA DX with the null helping a lot. But still, it's not an antenna I'd want to use for serious MW DX.

Dirk_SDR

SULA only stands for an antenna principle.
I don't know enough about these antennas.
These forums could perhaps be helpful: