Listen while you can

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparks29

John McClane
DC constantly gets in trouble for the crap they send over the radio and MDC, so instead of acknowledging the problems, they encrypt it, so no one finds out.

What happened to open government?

Oh yeah, that's dead.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
DC constantly gets in trouble for the crap they send over the radio and MDC, so instead of acknowledging the problems, they encrypt it, so no one finds out.

LOL -- I don't think that has anything to do with why they are planning to do encryption!

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
what special wide split UHF version would that be/???

Moto UHF radios usally comes in various splits in the band such as 380-470 or 450-512 etc. From what I understand, DC will be taking delivery of special band split APX units that are much wider than either of the above examples specifically so they can do the usual lowest (380MHz) frequecies needed for some stuff in the area and so they can also do as high as some specific 490 stuff for another police agency in the area. I don't know what the official specs or name will be so I used the terms "special" and "wide" and furthermore I don't know if this is a production featureset or really is special order, etc.

As we can all read over on the 'bat' board, the older Astro 25 radios could be programmed OOB (out of band) using some CPS 'tricks' and we now know this is no longer possible with the APX radios - so that could be why they (MOTO) are making a "special" version.

Sorry, I don't have more info and I admint I could be wrong; I am just going by what someone else told me.

gesucks

Moto UHF radios usally comes in various splits in the band such as 380-470 or 450-512 etc. From what I understand, DC will be taking delivery of special band split APX units that are much wider than either of the above examples specifically so they can do the usual lowest (380MHz) frequecies needed for some stuff in the area and so they can also do as high as some specific 490 stuff for another police agency in the area. I don't know what the official specs or name will be so I used the terms "special" and "wide" and furthermore I don't know if this is a production featureset or really is special order, etc.

As we can all read over on the 'bat' board, the older Astro 25 radios could be programmed OOB (out of band) using some CPS 'tricks' and we now know this is no longer possible with the APX radios - so that could be why they (MOTO) are making a "special" version.

Sorry, I don't have more info and I admint I could be wrong; I am just going by what someone else told me.
No such radio and not what MPD has. Sorry just standard split APX

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Well why are thay going to encryption, tell us if there is something you know???

I don't think any one of us knows any more than the rest of the RR.com members when it comes to this, but I can reasonably assure you that the reason they are going encrypted isn't so that scanner listeners don't hear any once in a blue moon "foot in mouth" comments of the MPD. I have a feeling it has a lot more to do with public safety and officer safety than anything else.

home121

I would like to know some stat's on when a police officer was injured or worse, do to someone with a scanner. I personally never ever heard of anything anywhere abt reports of this. Someone show me proof of this,I watch the news nightly and listen to radio AM, What i do hear is people getting busted with there iphones app's on police freq's.Yes im sure there are people with scanners using them to help commit crimes, thats why i am for a 'few' freq's to be encrypted, But to encrypt all of them is very very wrong...

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
i think the switch bt the crooks to phone apps is because most are too stupid to figure out scanners. that said, you can sue, but it's a waste of time and money. There was a department up here in CT that got sued for going encrypted, The suit went on for a few years. Then a motion was filed for dismissal and the reason given was officer safety. good bye lawsuit, done, do not pass go, do not collect 200 bucks, end of story. fact is as soon as officer safety gets brought up any lawsuit is toast especially after 9/11

steve888

It's Official - DCMPD Will Be Encrypted in September

I heard on National Public Radio this morning they are officially going encrypted next month. They interviewed Chief Lanier and she said the main reason is officer safety. When they arrest people in DC and go through the data on their cell phones, they've found a lot of the bad guys have mobile apps installed that allow them to monitor MPD radio traffic. Personally, I think that's a bunch of BS. If there's a sensitive investigation going on, police can request a TAC channel that is fully encrypted. And I can't recall any cases of MPD officers being killed or injured because one of the bad guys was following what they were doing on a cell phone using a mobile app.

I really think this just boils down to the police wanting to operate in total secrecy with less accountability.

Sad, sad day for anyone who is a scanning enthusiast :(

steve888

This is the local NPR station here in Washington, DC and their story from this morning:

D.C. Police To Encrypt Radio Communications - News - WAMU 88.5 FM - American University Radio

D.C. Police To Encrypt Radio Communications
Patrick Madden
August 26, 2011 - After decades of use, D.C.’s police scanners are about to go silent. Next month, the Metropolitan Police Department will start encrypting its radio communications.

With its constant crackle of police codes, the scanner has long provided the background music in many local newsrooms, as well as countless hours of chatter for hobbyists known as scanner junkies.

But that’s all set to change next month, when the department switches to encrypted communications.

Police Chief Cathy Lanier says the move was made in part because of how easy it has become -- with smart phones and other technology -- for people to listen in.

"There are so many mobile apps now that you can get where you can monitor police transmissions," she says. "We've recovered numerous mobile phones that people committing crimes have set so they can listen to police radio, even on search warrants and gun cases."

That, she says, has made police work even more dangerous.

As for scanner junkies and news reporters who rely on the information they get from the scanners to inform the community, Lanier insists they were not the prompt for the change.

"It's not something we're doing to keep the press out, it's something that we're doing to keep our community and our police officers safe," she says.

Lanier notes that MPD would share its encryption codes with surrounding police departments, as well as keep a few radio channels open -- just in case.

JoeyC

Well there you go, right from the horses mouth (police chief).

STREAMING LAW ENFORCEMENT AUDIO HAS CONTRIBUTED TO THE ENCRYPTION OF A MAJOR US POLICE FORCE.

IRREGARDLESS of whether anybody here disbelieves anyone will be any safer as a result of this or that interoperability will be lost, is IRRELEVANT.
The chief has stated her reasons and the move is on to fully encrypt.

When is the community of supposed hobbyists finally going to realize that this is the beginning of the demise of a large part of our hobby?

Very sad. Very very sad.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If the suspects were caught while using the phones then obviously it's not working out for them. Not a smart chief to discontinue this advantage...

JoeyC

If the suspects were caught while using the phones then obviously it's not working out for them. Not a smart chief to discontinue this advantage...

There is NO evidence that smart phone apps and ppl using them gave the police an advantage and increased any arrests. What there IS evidence of is the police chief has mentioned officer safety and cell phone apps and THAT is the relevant issue here. Again, anyones assessment of whether or not they have made a smart move by doing so is a mute point now that the decisions have been made. As much as you want to be a cheerleader for the streaming end of things here, the evidence is now coming in that point to the contrary.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
The evidence (number of official feeds) still weighs strongly towards streaming. Never said that everyone loved it. But more love it than hate it.

Dewey

There is NO evidence that smart phone apps and ppl using them gave the police an advantage and increased any arrests.

Not to argue, but the point being made is that if the app was working in their favor, they wouldn't have been caught in the first place.

Dewey

Status
Not open for further replies.