LoJack Question

BinaryMode

I recently added the LoJack frequency to my scanner in the car and ever sense I hear a lot of what sounds like a ping of FSK traffic. I mean, it's a burst of what sounds like FSK digital data. Now I don't know how this system works, but it can't possibly mean I'm in the area of a stolen car, can it? Do LoJack devices emit a burst of data every once in a while or something?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I recently added the LoJack frequency to my scanner in the car and ever sense I hear a lot of what sounds like a ping of FSK traffic. I mean, it's a burst of what sounds like FSK digital data. Now I don't know how this system works, but it can't possibly mean I'm in the area of a stolen car, can it? Do LoJack devices emit a burst of data every once in a while or something?
Check here:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You are probably hearing the base side sending info to devices.

ScannerSK

If these bursts of data are spaced 64 seconds apart, this data is being transmitted by the control towers. The data bursts from stolen vehicles are much shorter in duration and are spaced one second apart from each other when first activated or when the vehicle is being tracked. If activated and not being tracked the data bursts from stolen equipment are typically spaced around 10-20 seconds apart.

BinaryMode

Ah, then it's from the base/tower then. Because these bursts of data aren't 1 second apart by any means.

So that brings me to this question: Where would I look in the ULS to find these base stations? LOL :D I'm quite curios now. There must be one in my town because I hear this signal full quieting all the time while out and about.

Also, why would a base/tower need to send a signal to a LoJack anyway?

ecps92

Ah, then it's from the base/tower then. Because these bursts of data aren't 1 second apart by any means.

So that brings me to this question: Where would I look in the ULS to find these base stations? LOL :D I'm quite curios now. There must be one in my town because I hear this signal full quieting all the time while out and about.

Also, why would a base/tower need to send a signal to a LoJack anyway?

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports/engineering_search_out.cfm?service_select=%25&accessible=NO&state_select=&begin_freq=173.0750&begin_freq_type=M&end_freq=&end_freq_type=M&polar=B&radio_ch0=P&lat_ddd=&lat_ddd_cfforminteger=Latitude+degrees+must+be+numeric.&lat_mm=&lat_mm_cfforminteger=Latitude+minutes+must+be+numeric.&lat_ss=&lat_ss_cfformnumeric=Latitude+Seconds+must+be+numeric.&ns_radio_ch1=N&lon_ddd=&lon_ddd_cfforminteger=Longitude+degrees+must+be+numeric.&lon_mm=&lon_mm_cfforminteger=Longitude+minutes+must+be+numeric.&lon_ss=&lon_SS_cfformnumeric=Longitude+seconds+must+be+numeric.&ew_radio_ch1=W&radius=&Radius_cfformnumeric=Radius+must+be+numeric.&distance_type=&lat_ddd2=&lat_mm2=&lat_ss2=&ns_radio_ch2=&lon_ddd2=&lon_mm2=&lon_ss2=&ew_radio_ch2=&soundex_select=&begin_grant_date=&end_grant_date=&begin_expiration_date=&end_expiration_date=&sortstring=%2C+lic_name%2C+file_num&limit_select=4

For a Lo/Jack equipt stolen car to turn on it's beacon it needs to be sent the signal from the base/tower to say, "Hey your now entered into NCIC as Stolen" and you need to begin chirping, so folks can track you.

BinaryMode

That makes sense then. And the FCC database website sucks as usual as I can't load the link. I'll try again latter.

Thanks for the input.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
LoJack uses 173.075. they put it in this band surrounded by mostly Federal operations due to the interference it might create in heavier occupied bands. Base stations, some police vehicles, and the subscriber units all use that frequency. Most base stations are the state police. By far, you will mostly here a base station telling a stolen item (it does not have to be a vehicle) transmit or change its power or time interval between transmitting. This happens in the blind as the stolen item is at an unknown location. I recommend you look at this link and other posts in that thread.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
The VHF based LoJack era was dead as of 2021.

LoJack now uses GPS and cellular service to activate the vehicle transponder and be tracked. No longer does a dispatcher NCIC operator enter into NCIC a LoJack entry, but the victim gets a stolen vehicle report from local LE and then the victim uses a LoJack app for the activation. LE can then locate the vehicle via GPS/wireless system.

ecps92

The VHF based LoJack era was dead as of 2021.

LoJack now uses GPS and cellular service to activate the vehicle transponder and be tracked. No longer does a dispatcher NCIC operator enter into NCIC a LoJack entry, but the victim gets a stolen vehicle report from local LE and then the victim uses a LoJack app for the activation. LE can then locate the vehicle via GPS/wireless system.

NEGATIVE - Yes the product(S) have evolved with technology over time, with corporate take overs, but...

the Legacy VHF Lo/Jack is still used and tracked, even some states still maintain the trackers, not only cruiser based, but Fixed Stations as well as Aircraft and regular coordinations while tracking occur.

The NCIC Entry, in conjunction with the NLETS Code Check are both still valid functions (Message Keys) in your standard LE Desktop platforms

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
LoJack says it is dead. Perhaps there are agencies and locales where there is a long term contract is maintaining previous infrastructure, but when LoJack says it is dead - I believe them.

BinaryMode

It's interesting because I mapped out the towers in my state and they are all still active in the ULS...

Do you have a link to where it says LoJack is dead? At least for VHF?

merlin

LoJack has gone through 3 major morphisms since its inception, none compatible with any other.
What started the coffin nails for LoJack is GPS systems, much cheaper to implement.
I mapped out the towers in my state
LoJack never used towers.