• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking For Affordable Service Monitor

GMENI123

I run the service department of a small marine electronics company. We service commercial vessels on the inland waterways. For years (many years) we have used an old IFR4000 service monitor in our shop to check out vhf radios. When it laid down, we purchased another, used, but it didn't last very long. All we use it for is power output, modulation level, and at what voltage the squelch breaks on the radio.
Can someone recommend a good affordable service monitor for replacement?
Thanks.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
"Affordable" and "service monitor" aren't usually interchangeable. If your business needs (not for hobby use) require a calibrated and quality test set, it's going to cost. That being said, I have seen a fair number of Freedom Technologies R8000s on the surplus market, but remember, with instruments like this that are heavily software driven, support is at the will of the manufacturer. While you most likely don't need stuff like auto tune routines for P25 subscribers or DMR, you do need a solid and reliable and calibrated instrument.

The Motorola (General Dynamics made) R2670s seem to be in abundant numbers and are fairly capable for basic analog radio work and can be had for under two grand. Key is getting one that has seen a proper calibration, if not, expect to spend another $500-700 to have it calibrated.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
The Motorola (General Dynamics made) R2670s seem to be in abundant numbers and are fairly capable for basic analog radio work and can be had for under two grand. Key is getting one that has seen a proper calibration, if not, expect to spend another $500-700 to have it calibrated.

either i was looking in the wrong places, or prices have dropped in the last two years, because my former employer paid $3500 for a used 2670 and we were happy at that price (plus, as mentioned, the calibration)

That being said, for the specific use case mentioned, a 2001 or 2002 can be found on the used market for the $1000-1200 range plus testing and calibration. Thats a fraction of what even a used IFR4000's are running for.
Granted, its nowhere near as small or lightweight, but if you're in a shop, portability isnt a major factor.

xmo

For new with warranty, compact and easy to use - contact Astronics (Freedom Communications)

Something like an R8000 without all the digital options may no be too pricey.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
The R8000s are also reasonably portable, compared with the R2670, which probably shouldn't leave the bench. The R2670 is a generation older and has a simpler UI, IMO.

PACNWDude

In your use case, even a Ramsey Com3010 would work. ~$1500-2000 on e Bay. Or an old Hewlett Packard 8920A RF Communications Test Set. I was once asked what could replace a Hewlett Packard 8920A test set, and my response was "a newer HP 8920A". Then I found out they wanted portable and able to be hand carried to remote sites in Hawaii (to test VHF marine radios specifically). Com3010's were cheap and fairly new at that time, and still work today, plus 15 years. Although, I did manage to break one plastic handle in very cold weather use in Alaska, and another in Neah Bay, WA. Plastic and cold do not mix.

Since you are checking VHF analog radios, that opens up a wide world of test sets. You do not need Autotest like the Aeroflex/Viavi 3920 series, but that Freedom 8000, is going to be way overpriced for what you need. I am looking into the Freedom 8000 series as a possible replacement for ~$50-90k Aeroflex 3920A test sets right now, as the Aeroflex CX300 just does not meet our needs for bench and portable use. Good luck in your search.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Or an old Hewlett Packard 8920A RF Communications Test Set.
Another vote for the HP 8920 series. The 8920A and 8920B are essentially the same except for the frequency range (on the low end) and the memory card. They weigh 38 pounds. The display is a CRT, but there are kits out there to convert to an LCD.

I've seen an HP 8921, but I'm not sure what the differences are. The HP 8924 includes more features geared towards older cellular phone equipment and is much heavier at 59 pounds. The HP 8935 is heavier yet.

Amtronix is a qualified repair and calibration shop for used 8920s and they usually have some for sale. Amtronix Electronic Test Equipment

prcguy

Another vote for the HP 8920 series. The 8920A and 8920B are essentially the same except for the frequency range (on the low end) and the memory card. They weigh 38 pounds. The display is a CRT, but there are kits out there to convert to an LCD.

I've seen an HP 8921, but I'm not sure what the differences are. The HP 8924 includes more features geared towards older cellular phone equipment and is much heavier at 59 pounds. The HP 8935 is heavier yet.

Amtronix is a qualified repair and calibration shop for used 8920s and they usually have some for sale. Amtronix Electronic Test Equipment
I think an HP 8920 or 8921 is a bit overkill for just basic testing of VHF marine radios.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Astronics still calibrates and services the R2600 series in Kilgore, TX.

For those unaware of the history, Motorola designed and built the R2600 initially but the entire manufacturing facility with employees was sold to General Dynamics. The division that the R8000 got placed into was bought out by some GD employees who facilitated the negotiations and Freedom from General Dynamics was obtained (now you know the history of the Freedom name) and this was all announced in the middle of IWCE and literally during setup everything was General Dynamics and the next morning for the show Freedom. Astronics acquired Freedom and currently are rebranding the Freedom name.

I think a R2600 would be adequate for what is being done and still somewhat serviceable.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Going to be the old guy with a story guy...

Back when I worked for a local shop they were bought out by that large ESMR. The large ESMR wanted nothing to do with anything other than iDEN and chose the shop I was at to store all the test equipment they garnered from all the shops they bought out locally. Me being so freaking honest I didn't take anything, but we had a probably 20x20 room full of service monitors which I later found out the not so honest manager sold on the side. I should have picked up at least one R2001/2/8 or 1200S or something.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The 8921 was also a Cell Site test set. I used to use one with an add-on unit to tune analog and tdma base station radios way back when.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I am not in the repair business but purchased an IFR 1200S from a very reputable firm, KG Electronics in Wichita. Cost $2500 at that time and the unit continues to function excellently.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I am not in the repair business but purchased an IFR 1200S from a very reputable firm, KG Electronics in Wichita. Cost $2500 at that time and the unit continues to function excellently.
I don't know about the timeline for the "S" suffix – some versions could be 40+ years old – but that seems like a good choice, as long as the calibration is recent and legit. Spec sheets say 38 pounds, but I don't remember it being that heavy. Maybe the earlier versions were lighter, or I was just a whole lot younger. It has actual meter movements, too. :)

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Astronics still calibrates and services the R2600 series in Kilgore, TX.

For those unaware of the history, Motorola designed and built the R2600 initially but the entire manufacturing facility with employees was sold to General Dynamics. The division that the R8000 got placed into was bought out by some GD employees who facilitated the negotiations and Freedom from General Dynamics was obtained (now you know the history of the Freedom name) and this was all announced in the middle of IWCE and literally during setup everything was General Dynamics and the next morning for the show Freedom. Astronics acquired Freedom and currently are rebranding the Freedom name.

I think a R2600 would be adequate for what is being done and still somewhat serviceable.

I have often wondered how that happened.

OP - Since its a marine radio, is there a FCC requirement that you use anything that's traceable or some kind of legal standard? Are you having to do anything with digital selective calling or position that uses digital? If it's just analog, like others have said, you probably don't need a fully featured service monitor. Hell, you could probably get most of the way with a Bird, a couple of slugs, a signal generator and an analog voltmeter!

Edited to add a fq counter. Never mind lol, I was just listing a row on a bench from a long time ago. I'll shut up

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about the timeline for the "S" suffix – some versions could be 40+ years old – but that seems like a good choice, as long as the calibration is recent and legit. Spec sheets say 38 pounds, but I don't remember it being that heavy. Maybe the earlier versions were lighter, or I was just a whole lot younger. It has actual meter movements, too. :)
"S" model has a spectrum analyzer/tracking generator. Not sure of the weight but it's darn heavy. And yes it has D'Arsonval movement meters plus a small o'scope/spectrum analyzer screen.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Siglent and Rigol produce lightweight and very capable spectrum analyzers with tracking generators. They also produce signal generators that work up into the RF ranges typically used by land mobile. It makes me wonder how much of a market they would find if they produced a "service monitor" with SA, TG, RF gen, RF watt meter, RF demodulator, SINAD meter, etc. Imagine lugging a 10 pound service monitor to a repeater site rather than a 40-60 pound instrument.

Imagine lugging a 10 pound service monitor to a repeater site rather than a 40-60 pound instrument.
I had that same discussion with a monitor vendor at IWCE a few years ago, I'd like to see a unit without a display that is controlled by a PC like my copper mountain VNA. Reduce the size of the built in dummy load to 40W or make it an external jack with input sensing to avoid oops moments. If someone is doing portable repairs all day they don't need the weight and bulk of a 100W load.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Just remembered. I purchased used test equipment in the past from Valuetronics, they are very good to deal with. Just looking through their inventory on line is like Christmas shopping. One lighter-weight service monitor is the IFR 500 AM/FM. I had one for a few years, worked great but has no spectrum analyzer.

prcguy

Just remembered. I purchased used test equipment in the past from Valuetronics, they are very good to deal with. Just looking through their inventory on line is like Christmas shopping. One lighter-weight service monitor is the IFR 500 AM/FM. I had one for a few years, worked great but has no spectrum analyzer.
The IFR 500 is perfect for testing marine radios in the field but they are very old and can break at any time. You would want to make sure it’s power supply and other caps have been upgraded recently.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Imagine lugging a 10 pound service monitor to a repeater site rather than a 40-60 pound instrument.
Astronics R8000C is 14 pounds. The R8100 is a bit heavier due to the internal laptop battery and the R8200 is a little heavier than the R8100 due to the VNA at 15 pounds.