• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking For Affordable Service Monitor

xmo

speedway_navigator wrote: " I'd like to see a unit without a display that is controlled by a PC like my copper mountain VNA."
------------
Motorola came out with exactly this product. It was called Cybertest. Your windows PC ran all the instrument apps in whatever combination you wanted.

When GDDS took over, they stopped development of the product.

Attachments

• cybertest.png
    cybertest.png
    363.2 KB · Views: 13

PACNWDude

Interesting, would be nice to see more test sets like this, keeps weight down and the computer interface is great, as most radio tech end up with a dedicated programming computer, which if classified as test equipment, often keeps the IT department away as well. Thank you for posting, did not know about this piece of test gear, wish it had been fielded.

xmo

"wish it had been fielded."
--------------

It was fielded. The initial introduction took place primarily marketed to cellular and paging. I got a couple of them and I was very impressed.

I believe that the product group intended to follow with a full featured general purpose version.

Attachments

• cybertest 2.png
    cybertest 2.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 7

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Interesting, would be nice to see more test sets like this, keeps weight down and the computer interface is great, as most radio tech end up with a dedicated programming computer, which if classified as test equipment, often keeps the IT department away as well. Thank you for posting, did not know about this piece of test gear, wish it had been fielded.
So I'm really debating the actual benefit to having the computer interface standalone versus integrated with the CSM. The original Autotune methodology with R2600 series was a laptop that had dual serial ports running the Autotune software. One serial connection to the DB25 on the R2600 and one to the RIB. That made sense as the R2600 was very much a hardware defined unit but everything succeeding it (the R8000 series, IFR's 2975, etc). With Autotune today, the CSM is handles the function of tuner on a separate computer and while currently, there isn't an Autotune function for repeaters that's really the only time I've ever drug a computer out in the last 5 or 6 years was to switch a digital only repeater into analog mode or to take BER readings. Analog repeaters though (which are still quite prevalent with public safety for certain applications), most of your basic checks really require no additional hardware so I tend to keep the computer in the truck during those until I see a reason to pull out the computer for tuning something or modifying a codeplug.

Those who may be interested, the Astronics R8600 doesn't have a display. It is intended for lab use and has a higher power handling capability and is controlled via a software program on an IP network.

For what it's worth, I've got some R8100s that came out of surplus that are still under warranty and all being calibrated. I know this isn't a sale forum here but I do have them listed on the electronics bay (ebay) and can definitely do a better deal outside of there and knock off a few thousand without having to pay their fees. If interested, shoot me a message!