Looking for help with CHP frequencies, N Cal, and 4 surrounding counties, SDS-100

KM6USD

Premium Subscriber
The CHP Laird above works best but another great alternative is the Hustler Mag Mount Scanner antenna or secondly the Procomm mobile scanner antenna. Both can be found on Amazon are the next best thing to a dedicated low band antenna if you want to cover multiple frequencies. Another option that has worked for CHP and VHF/UHF listening in the Los Angeles/Ventura area is the Rugged Radios 1/2 wave antenna.

Elpablo

I have a few Larsen NMO-40s and they do work well. Generally, your vehicle serves as the ground plane especially if you drill the hole for the NMO mount. I have an SUV and it's a lot of metal which makes for an excellent GP on the roof where the hole was drilled. On the contrary, I also use one on a mast off my house roof which has marginal results due to a simulated ground plane (four 57" radials) which is just not enough metal for a GP. The challenge is not just a tall (right length) antenna but also a significant GP up in the air. Receiving low band isn't easy to do.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
I've used a 6 meter ham antenna for years on a mag mount for when I visit California. By not trimming it it helps extend the receive to the lower freqs. It's a NMO mount that I can use on my vehicles. Good luck!