Lorain County P25

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if Lorain County has switched over to the new P25 system or they still using VHF P25
Right below this thread is this one, discussing Lorain County. I haven't been up there in a while so I'm not sure. Just program the "5-City Radio System" and see if you hear anything. If you don't, they are still on VHF. *IF* they are on the trunked system, looks like you'll need a Phase II - capable scanner to monitor it.

The forum thread, and "5-City Radio System" links are posted below:

wd8chl

There is no new county-wide trunked system. The county is headed towards MARCS. The 5-city system is only a couple of renegade agencies in the NE corner. They don't seem to want anyone to talk to them.
The vast majority of the county is on VHF, either analog or P25. And most will stay that way for a very long time yet.

wd8chl

Still seeing some untruths in there...Sheffield saying that MARCS doesn't work in 'the valley' (I assume they mean Black River metroparks). Well, if MARCS doesn't work there, the 5-city won't either. They are co-located, and if anything, Phase 2 has less range than Phase 1.
Plus 7/800 MHz doesn't get into valleys very well at all, where VHF will 'bend' over the rim of the valley to a fair degree.
Cleveland Metroparks had lots of problems with that in the past, and both MARCS and the Cleveland systems had to push to build sites that looked down into the valleys around the county better. (One of those sites is/was the Hopkins airport site. When it went down for repair a number of years ago, they were nearly off the air in the Rocky River/Fairview area. HQ had no service.)
"Interoperability" isn't what MARCS doesn't like. It's patches from other systems. It can cause...issues, especially if the other system locks up or has interference that then ties up a channel or channels on MARCS. It leaves issues that are out of the control of MARCS, but still interfere with it.
But they're slowly getting better at reporting this story...