Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) - Master Thread

jazzbassNick

Feed Provider
Based on control channel data from other sites, Johnstone or other locations could be - 476.900, 477.050, 477.950, 773.18125.

I actually think there is something on 773.18125, but signal is too weak to decode from my location.

Thanks - I tried 'em but came up empty. I'll keep an eye on them though.

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
The control channel for Oat was up (477.1) for all of about 90 seconds this morning around 10:48. Down before I could get my laptop plugged in. Nothing heard in the rest of Ch 15 during the afternoon...

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Reading LARICS board meeting agenda initial Phase-1 core radio sites are planned to be:

UHF
Johnstone
Mt. McDill
Oat
Rio Hondo
Rolling Hills

700Mhz
Johnstone
Rolling Hills
Verdugo

UHF site are supposed to be configured with 11-channels and 700Mhz with 6 channels.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
Two weeks ago LA County submitted FCC applications for those locations in UHF and 700 MHz:

6201420 New YW (still pending)
6204288 New SY (dismissed because it was requested as a special temporary license)

I check FCC license applications every week for GE, GF, GP, MW, PW, SG, SY, YE, YF, YP, and YW radio services in Los Angeles and San Bernardino County. If LA County files any other LA-RICS applications I'll try to post them here.

strandbiker1

Premium Subscriber
04/1/2014 activity

Today, I am hearing traffic on various 700 MHz channels but no recoverable audio. I am using a Pro 106 and a 996XT. The Pro 106 tries to recover the audio and it sounds like a low signal level where the audio breaks up. The 996XT see the signal as the "S" meter is full but no audio. Any ideas? I am right under Rolling Hills with a strong signal. Frequencies were 771.73125 and 771.58125.

Skip

icis_monitor

Today, I am hearing traffic on various 700 MHz channels but no recoverable audio. I am using a Pro 106 and a 996XT. The Pro 106 tries to recover the audio and it sounds like a low signal level where the audio breaks up. The 996XT see the signal as the "S" meter is full but no audio. Any ideas? I am right under Rolling Hills with a strong signal. Frequencies were 771.73125 and 771.58125.

Skip

i am seeing some transmissions as well but the enc comes up on the screen. i think your hearing 'The Big E' coming through loud and clear.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i am seeing some transmissions as well but the enc comes up on the screen. i think your hearing 'The Big E' coming through loud and clear.

That is either radio techs talking on The Big "E" and hopefully so or its a sign of what is to become soon.

Look at it this way if they are testing encryption that means it coming into play with this new system.

Now how much that is to be determined

aznhombre

Premium Subscriber
I hope this isn't an inappropriate question but I was hoping someone could answer this "noob primer" question. I've only been looking at scanners and ham radio for a short while but I felt I needed to ask now because of this Phase 2 shift.

So I've gathered that LA-RICS is basically going to be this massive overhaul of many the small to moderate sized departments in LA along with the LASO and all of them WILL be required to become Phase 2 within a few months. Whether or not they will be encrypting is a separate issue. I also understand that LAPD is currently on a P25 Phase 1 conventional (non-trunking) system but WILL be switching to Phase 2 as they are part of the LA-RICS deal also.

My question is, how soon will LAPD switch to Phase 2? It sounds like they're looking to strech out their Phase 1 gear for awhile and not encrypt. I'm asking because I'm interested in picking up a used P25 Phase 1 capable scanner like the BCD996XT and my main interest are the LAPD channels. However, if all the surrounding cities suddenly switch to Phase 2 within the year then it seems worthwhile to plop down the extra cash for BCD536XT.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Honestly I have both the BCD996XT and the BCD536HP.

I would just throw down the extra 200 bucks for the new Uniden BCD536HP. The radio is a pretty awesome unit. The display screen is amazing and the sensitivity is the best out there. Plus within the next few months the Siren App will be released from Uniden and you will be able to control your radio from anywhere around the world with your app on your iPhone or iPad. I think that will be a great feature once they work the bugs out and finish up on software for release.

Plus you will have everything including Phase II TDMA. If you buy the 996XT then you won't have the ability to decode Phase II for LA-RICS and have future growth for the radio. The extra 200 bucks is worth it for the long run. Good Luck

karldotcom

Nothing like that will happen in the next few months.

I hope this isn't an inappropriate question but I was hoping someone could answer this "noob primer" question. I've only been looking at scanners and ham radio for a short while but I felt I needed to ask now because of this Phase 2 shift.

So I've gathered that LA-RICS is basically going to be this massive overhaul of many the small to moderate sized departments in LA along with the LASO and all of them WILL be required to become Phase 2 within a few months. Whether or not they will be encrypting is a separate issue. I also understand that LAPD is currently on a P25 Phase 1 conventional (non-trunking) system but WILL be switching to Phase 2 as they are part of the LA-RICS deal also. .

aznhombre

Premium Subscriber
Honestly I have both the BCD996XT and the BCD536HP.

I would just throw down the extra 200 bucks for the new Uniden BCD536HP. The radio is a pretty awesome unit. The display screen is amazing and the sensitivity is the best out there. Plus within the next few months the Siren App will be released from Uniden and you will be able to control your radio from anywhere around the world with your app on your iPhone or iPad. I think that will be a great feature once they work the bugs out and finish up on software for release.

Plus you will have everything including Phase II TDMA. If you buy the 996XT then you won't have the ability to decode Phase II for LA-RICS and have future growth for the radio. The extra 200 bucks is worth it for the long run. Good Luck

Hmm.....if the cities aren't going to Phase II within the year I think I'll take my time with the BCD996XT. I think I can pick one up for about $260 and I can't find even a handheld BCD496HP for anything less than $500 before shipping. I'm guessing I can resell the BCD996XT for not too much of a loss when LA-RICS really gets going.

On that note, I was under the impression from reading all this that Phase II was already underway with departments. Re-reading this thread, it appears that these Phase II channels that people are monitoring are just testing sites and no department has made the upgrade yet. This makes me feel more confident that I can enjoy a Phase I capable scanner for at least a year.

You've convinced me that I'll def be upgrading to the BCD536HP in the future though =)

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I agree wiith pepsima1. I have both the 996XT and 536HP, in fact, two of each. At this point, I would definitely go with the 536HP. Besides the features mentioned by others, you also have the on-board recording. The 436HP and 536HP have become my main-go-to radios now. My 396XT and 996XT are seeing much less use.
True, you can find the 996XT at some good prices right now, and it is a good radio (in fact a great radio), but once Phase II is upon us, the resale value of those is going to drop big time. For example, in Los Angeles, once the LAPD and LASD end up on LA-RICS with Phase II, any other scanner in the area here will basically be worthless.
I imagine the same trend is taking place in major cities throughout the US and Canada. Maybe a few months, year, couple of years, but once it happens, all the current radios out there, except the PSR-800, BCD436HP, and BCD536HP, will be obsolete (at least in large areas like LA).
My advice would be to go for the 536HP.

Steve AA6IO

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Hello everyone,

I would like to remind all that this thread is specifically created for LA-RICS Frequency and Talkgroup information.

It is not the place to discuss general LA-RICS topics, broader industry debates, or radio buying advice.

Discussions deemed off topic will be deleted.

You guys are free to continue your discussions in any of the several other existing LA-RICS threads or if appropriate start a new one.

Thank you for your understanding and remaining on topic here.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Driving around out in the SGV and managed to pick up Johnstone loud and clear.

Site 11 - Johnstone Peak
NAC:69B
772.70625a
772.98125a
773.18125c

Identified 4 frequencies. Should be 2 more. If anyone is out that way, put a trunk tracker on it and see what comes up.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
This is what I got from this morning.

WACN: BEE00
System: 69F
RFSS: 1
Site: 11
Peer Sites: 1-12, 1-13
NAC: 69B
CWID: WQST918
Modulation: ? (sounds like C4FM)
Channel Access: Phase 2 (FDMA and TDMA traffic confirmed)
Control Channel: 773.18125
Alternate CCs:

Voice Channels:
771.98125 (CWID on this channel)

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Great thanks for catching the additional frequencies.

It seems the three 700Mhz sites are on the air full time these days with regular testing activity during weekdays.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Identified a few more frequencies on the Rolling Hills 400UHF system.
We have 11 of 11 planned frequencies confirmed now for the site.

477.850a
477.875a
478.000d

Also new TG - 2555 in ENC noted.

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
...and... Oat is back! 8*)

Same configuration it had when it left. I'll leave the software churning for a little while (until/unless 6m opens up again) and see if there's anything else to see. I did hear a quick, encrypted exchange on 2555