LWIN Discussion Thread

Tim-B

Are you thinking that 24031 is not Grand Couteau PD then??

From the traffic I heard it sounded more like a talk channel for that agency and not the main dispatch channel. They don't come up that often on the site that I monitor so I haven't been able to make a better determination.

Tim-B

24023 I mean. 24023 sounds like a talk channel for Grand Couteau PD and 24031 is the main dispatch channel.

Tim-B

Well, I just heard more traffic on this talkgroup (24023). The person used the radio call number "GC-2". He didn't say much, just that he was 10-7 on his way back to his '42. I am guessing GC is for Grand Couteau.

Tim-B

Does anyone know what was updated for vermilion parish? Is shows green on the map indicating an update withing the last 24 hrs but I don't see anything listed under Vermilion Parish green as far as LWIN talkgroups or conventional systems.

Tim-B

You know, I never noticed that tab in the database. I was always looking at the parish home tab. Okaaaaay, now I know it's there.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Defiantly Law Talk

Most likely OPSO as it fits the 53000" range issued to Ouachita Parish. Picked up in a overnight discovery mode from the Bastrop Site. They were discussing an alarm at a Johnny's Pizza right when OPSO was transmitting heavy (according to the time logs), but alas; I was not monitoring at the time so I couldn't switch over and see if it actually matched OPSO dispatch chatter. Could be OPSO, Monroe PD, WMPD, or even Richwood. I hardly hear MPD/MPD/WMPD on the Bastrop Site so I suspect OPSO.

Technoguy58

There are 12 locations of Johnny's pizza house in the Monroe, W Monroe area. Unless one or more of these locations are located outside of the incorporated city limits then I would think that OUSO would not be responding to a burglary call as local PD would have the jurisdiction. Most, (but not all), incorporated cities or towns use their own PD for services in the city limits. However, some municipalities pay the S.O. to help out or assume primary roles for law enforcement. Since I don't see a "talk" channel listed for Monroe or W Monroe or other smaller PD's in the parish then this may indeed be for a PD in the parish. When am in the Monroe area, I'll monitor this group more and try to determine what ti is.

Technoguy58

Just checking incorporated areas of the parish and found Monroe, W Monroe, Sterlington, and Richwood as the only incorporated areas in the parish. Sterlington has a Johnny's Pizza. Does anybody know if Sterlington is using LWIN? Maybe this is Sterlington PD. Sterlington is closer to Bastrop so their units may be affiliating with the Bastrop tower.

Technoguy58

Well, just looking at database for Sterlington and see they used to use 800mhz for dispatch but that is expired. Now they have a new license for UHF (460.125) so this will require further investigation.....

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
There are 12 locations of Johnny's pizza house in the Monroe, W Monroe area. Unless one or more of these locations are located outside of the incorporated city limits then I would think that OUSO would not be responding to a burglary call as local PD would have the jurisdiction. Most, (but not all), incorporated cities or towns use their own PD for services in the city limits. However, some municipalities pay the S.O. to help out or assume primary roles for law enforcement. Since I don't see a "talk" channel listed for Monroe or W Monroe or other smaller PD's in the parish then this may indeed be for a PD in the parish. When am in the Monroe area, I'll monitor this group more and try to determine what ti is.

There are several locations outside the city limits that are still in the parish. I only suspected OPSO due to the times on the discovery mode readout at that time (heavy OPSO traffic on known talkgroups). It defiantly wasn't Bastrop or local SO as our location is in the city & our talkgroups are well known and in constant use. Plus the 53000 range would match Ouachita Parish allocation.

Sterlington used to be on the 800mhz single frequency for sure. However since most everyone jumped on LWIN, and I only recently am able to monitor local public safety with a new capable scanner, I am slowly starting to figure things out again. I'm also too far out to monitor that old frequency. I've got the talkgroup on my favorites and haven't heard it again since. This plus the nature of the chatter on the recording "There's dear in those apartments. ... Did you copy that? Alarm at ..." so and so makes me believe it's a talk channel and not a primary dispatch ID. Surely if it was "new Sterlington PD" I would hear it constantly.

Again, I am very new to monitoring the system; so I haven't figured everything out. Just throwing out what I hear. I rarely hear Ouachita Parish city ID's popup from the Bastrop Site. Parish ID's are in use constantly. Now putting the ID on all my favs so if it shows up on different towers as I travel, I'll have more info about what exactly its used for.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Just checking incorporated areas of the parish and found Monroe, W Monroe, Sterlington, and Richwood as the only incorporated areas in the parish. Sterlington has a Johnny's Pizza. Does anybody know if Sterlington is using LWIN? Maybe this is Sterlington PD. Sterlington is closer to Bastrop so their units may be affiliating with the Bastrop tower.

I still don't fully understand this system and what talkgroups are heard on what tower and why. Sometimes I hear Monroe PD SNAP TGID sometimes I don't. I've never heard Monroe Fire, West Monroe Police Fire, or ULM PD but I always hear OPSO, OPFD (aka parishwide units). Today I'm hearing Shreveport IDs and Acadian Ambulance ID's even though not always and I'm 100mi plus from the nearest town or parish that uses them (the St Landry TGID has been hit 100 times in the past hour and I'm 2hrs plus from down there).

For the same reason I suspect I can't hear Bastrop City PD/FD on other towers but I can hear Morehouse Parish SO on at least 4 others. This system seems complicated and I've only had a capable scanner for a month-ish. My brain is still stuck on LSP being on the crappy 800mhz system and everyone else on VHF. I figure after a few months I should be better at things like finding out why I can hear South Central LA EMS (Acadian EMS 6845) units but I can't hear Monroe PD (next parish down). Or finding out exactly what Sterlington PD uses now.

Thats the idea anyway.....

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Well, just looking at database for Sterlington and see they used to use 800mhz for dispatch but that is expired. Now they have a new license for UHF (460.125) so this will require further investigation.....

Just heard chatter on the TGID with an "SP" unit. "SP" used to be what Sterlington PD units would call themselves on the old 800mhz frequency. The address I thought I heard doesn't exist anywhere in Ouachita Parish but the talker was feedbacking pretty bad. I'm starting to believe that this ID is allocated to Sterlington PD and they have the radios but they are still using something else as primary dispatch (exactly like Rayville PD and others who haven't switched fully yet).

I gotta figure out how to post these recordings.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed! This is exactly what they're doing. They're using it like a secondary dispatch but talking on something else for primary. Most likely 460.125 which I will verify next time I'm in the area.

Moving on:

6708 - Sounds like Law Talk
6603 - Sounds like Law Tac (Prisoner Transport)

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
As usual; heard on the Bastrop site (3-12) in discovery mode with an HP2 which records anything not in the main database.

6708 - Seems to be ULM PD Talk, don't know why they using an unknown TG when they have 3 in the database. Maybe its new. The radio ID's match those used on the dispatch channel but still holding out on submission for definitive proof, obviously.

7583 - No idea. Two sided 4 mostly unintelligible second conversation.

52504 - A city PD unit was calling a city FD unit in the middle of heavy PD/FD traffic. Defiantly a TAC/TALK channel but unsure if its PD, FD, or parish-wide.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
If a PD unit was talking to a FD unit, it might be an interop M/A or Common type of channel. Some municipalities use these. Some don't.

Affirmative. I figured that's what the "COORD" tallgroups assigned to each parish are for. Never heard a peep out of those. But only way to know is keep listening!

Tim-B

Does anyone know what 6856 is for? It sounds like an EMS agency and numerically it fits in between other Acadian Ambulance talkgroups. If it is for Acadian does anyone know what the "name" of this channel is? By "name" I mean if one person tells another to go to this channel he would say "go to ____"