MARS HF Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGA6TR

Air Force MARS

Looking for anyone that was stationed with me at Travis AFB, CA and worked in the MARS station from 76-78. Our call sign was AGA6TR.

SCPD

QRT
Years ago, I was asked by my father's Air Force MARS group if I could help with their Armed Forces Day cross band Ham/MARS activities. One of the AF transmitters control sites, near where my family lives- was Andrews AFB, and this was not easily accessible after 9-11 without security clearances- their group needed operators for the event- I had the badges. So on a Spring day in a May's visit home I got 'drafted'
And what a fun time I had!.. I operated in full duplex between 7324Khz and into the General Class 40 meter 'phone band- going mostly thru "Dee-Ville" (the Davidsonville MD remote AF transmitter site)-- with plus-plus Kw's into various antennas of my choice- Meanwhile, I was listening thru other remote sites for replies---and oh did I have a load of them!--- like I said, I was full duplex: I could hear everyone like it was a telephone conversation, and I would respond to other stations even as first caller was talking. Remember working the YL , with the sexy (laughing !..;)) voice--- "This is Alpha India Romeo listening 7275 and down..."...??
....Smiles :)
.....................................................CF

Last edited:

lanemls

MARS HF Net.

Picked up a MARS net (with the AA___ call letters). Monday, April 9 2018; 0200 UTC on 4011 KHz USB. Near Sacramento, CA (Western USA). Is it possible that nearby Travis AFB is on this net? Thanks.
Using a Tecsun S-8800.

ridgescan

Picked up a MARS net (with the AA___ call letters). Monday, April 9 2018; 0200 UTC on 4011 KHz USB. Near Sacramento, CA (Western USA). Is it possible that nearby Travis AFB is on this net? Thanks.
Using a Tecsun S-8800.
Not sure about Travis but I hear MARS on 4011, 4007 and 4018kHz. here in SFO usually in the 7-9:00PM(PST) hours.

unclejed613

having been a RATT (RTTY) operator, i can understand the reluctance to have designators paired up with frequencies on a public forum. however, a lot can be learned from listening. on our first day of radio school (MOS 31C), the instructor made a point of saying "your operating frequency and location stop being a secret as soon as radio waves leave your antenna". he also told us to always assume we're being listened to. we used a crypto box for RTTY comms, but there were rare times we used RTTY or voice in the clear. i don't think operating frequencies are much of a secret, but if somebody makes a COMSEC or OPSEC goof on the air, i'm not going to compound it by posting it publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.