• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC decode on Kenwoods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain715

I know the TK-3180 supports it with the latest firmware.

However, you can't do FleetSync and MDC at the same time, it is one or the other.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I have an 8180...same software so I'm assuming it will work with that as well. But I don't see an option for it. I'm using KPG 89Dversion 1.00B15.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
The Latest firmware is V 1.20, The MDC firmware introductory version is 1.18. It shows as being for the 2180/3180/7180/8180. You need KPG-89D V 1.60 to be able to use the MDC1200 features.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
How do you check the radio's firmware on the 7180/8180's? I know how to do it with Motorola's, but the Kenwoods are new to me.

If I do not have the required firmware, how do I do a firmware update? Where do I get the latest firmware from...is it something that is included if I purchase a newer software package?

wv8mat

i have a tk-3180 with the firmware upgrade and mine does mdc1200 perfect, i love that radio, haha

i know with my 3180 your press a button while turning it on, and it will display but with the mobiles im not sure, just try holding a button while turning it on

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
i have a tk-3180 with the firmware upgrade and mine does mdc1200 perfect, i love that radio, haha

i know with my 3180 your press a button while turning it on, and it will display but with the mobiles im not sure, just try holding a button while turning it on

Just figured it out on the 2180/3180. Hold the button above the PTT while turning the radio on. Mine shows 1.12.00...

So how do I update the firmware?

wv8mat

well if you have the software you can find the firmware file its easy, just bring up your firmware on the radio, hit the buttion to move it to the next screen (shows the connection speed) then open the firmware side of your software, open the firmware file, plug the porgram cable in, and send it. then when thats done turn off the radio and back on, exit firmware program, open software and change on the model from fleetsync to mdc1200, then go do the decode and encode stuff you need and write to radio.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Matt/Alarmguy...I have the mobiles and portable up and running...thanks for all the help and support I love the sound of that MDC-1200 squalk and now I can see who is calling me ! Now for the radio ID list..ugh.

brian209

Feed Provider
Matt/Alarmguy...I have the mobiles and portable up and running...thanks for all the help and support I love the sound of that MDC-1200 squalk and now I can see who is calling me ! Now for the radio ID list..ugh.

Two things I hate about the TK-8180 and Radio IDs,

1) The ID list is limited to 100 radios, which is easy to exceed. I know I'm wasting space by coding in ten "Chief" numbers 10-19, ten "Captains" 20-29 etc, but it keeps from having to reprogram the fleet when someone changes numbers.

2) The DeCode option is not done on a per Zone basis. When I'm in a zone for which I do not have any radio ID's programmed it still decodes to the four digit number. When on scan, same deal, but I'd rather see the zone or talkgroup it is on than the random four digit numbers.

Brian

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Yes it would be nice if it went by zone. It's annoying when another agency uses similar IDs that match ones in your alias list.

EMS645

Same issues...

I'm trying to make the same upgrades right now. Any chance of sharing where the current firmware and software might be found? I'm not having much luck finding the new versions... Any help is greatly appreciated!

--Nathan
NavyHN at gm ail

SFDEMS

Hello, perhaps one of you can help me a little here. I have TK-xx80 series radio. Have the latest firmware installed in radio (v1.21), programming software (v1.60). Trying to get the MDC encode to work. Have the decode working as I like, but can not get the encode to transmit the MDC ID. What am I missing? In the "Model Information" tab signaling set to MDC-1200. I appreciate any help.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Hello, perhaps one of you can help me a little here. I have TK-xx80 series radio. Have the latest firmware installed in radio (v1.21), programming software (v1.60). Trying to get the MDC encode to work. Have the decode working as I like, but can not get the encode to transmit the MDC ID. What am I missing? In the "Model Information" tab signaling set to MDC-1200. I appreciate any help.

In zone information window, click on channel edit. Set PTT ID to beginning or end of transmission.

sseawright

Kenwood TK-7180 - MDC1200

Hi guys, I know that I am getting in on this conversation a little late, but I have a newer TK-7180H, I believe the firmware is v1.2. The security and personal protection company that I work for uses primarily Motorola radios, I even have a Motorola HT1250 hand unit but I like my Kenwood mobile and I am needing to get my radio to send and receive MDC1200 with the rest of our fleet. How do I go about getting the firmware that I need? I think I will also need to upgrade my current CPS software. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.