Meteor Scatter transmission heard

n4yek

I was driving down the road here where I live in Newport TN listening to 97.9 WLIK when all of a sudden my radio switched over to HD
and started playing 97.9 WRMF out of Palm Beach Florida. It lasted for about 15 seconds then the HD shut off and I was listening to
WLIK once again.
I most likely experienced a meteor scatter bounce that was strong enough for me to see the call letters from WRMF display on my screen.

That was a first for me to experience this with the car radio.

Last edited:

n4yek

Were you hearing any doppler shift or was the signal sounding clear?
It was a digital signal so I received the program like it was local. If you have an HD radio in your car, your will receive a normal FM carrier but if the station also transmits a digital signal with their programming then you will hear the station in digital. Some stations even transmit more than one station on the same frequency and you choose the digital channel you want to listen.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I had an experience like that driving in my car in Miami one morning years ago. A station in the midwest totally captured a Miami station. It was very clear and I think it was actually a short term tropospheric ducting event.