MicroSD Card Problem

BOBRR

Hello,

Have a SDS200.
I removed the MicroSD card, which turned out to be a big mistake.
First, I wasn't smart enough to note how it came out, so let me first ask:

It goes back in with the metal contacts pointing down.
Correct ?

I cannot get rid of the error msg. that says
"SD Card Access Errror"
Shows with the card in (I believe correctly), or without the card.

My understanding is that the Card is absolutely required, even
for normal operation. True ?

Do these Cards go bad after a number of years ?
If so, what's a good source to buy a replacement ? Amazon ?

*Anything I might (also) check, or hints on re-inserting the Card, etc....
would be most appreciated. Is this a "common" problem ?

What might be wrong, other than my incompetence ?

Happy Holidays, and thanks,
Bob

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
#1 You should never remove or insert an SD Card in a Scanner while Powered Up.
#2 Inserting the SD Card with the Metal Down push in until you feel a click and the SD Card is flush with the front of the Scanner it should take the edge of your fingernail to insert or remove the SD Card.
#3 If the SD Card was inserted correctly then replace the SD Card with a card 32gb or smaller.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Yes... Contacts down.

Push it in until you feel/hear a small click as it locks in.

Correct, the radio does nothing with out a properly formatted (FAT 32 or FAT 32 ext) that has been initialized by Sentinel.

Yes, they can go bad or become corrupted if you remove (lose) power especially if you are recording calls or just updated the card and just pull the USB cable from the radio or computer.

Best in my opinion are SanDisk High Endurance (32GB or less) available thru Amazon, Best Buy Office Depot and many other stores.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As inexpensive as they are, it never hurts to have a spare. There are plenty of threads on this forum saying how to format a new card, prepare it for use (as in Clear User Data), then write the data to it.

Its very possible that removing it while the scanner was on, caused it to be corrupted. Reformatting might fix it, if not replacement is needed.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
(From a retired paramedic who never kept his fingernails long), I use the tip of a ball point pen to eject and push it in. A pencil lead would break and don't take that chance. I shut off the scanner, get my handy dandy pen out, click it, hold face of scanner with one hand, push it in to eject, remove, then push the new one back in, turn scanner on.

I perform this task weekly on six SDS200's usually on Sunday mornings when the scanner traffic is slow, and erase the recordings via a USB-SD card reader.

blackbelter

I had the same unresolved issue last year. My several attempts with the different cable and properly formatted disks resulted with the same error message. Uniden determined that my SDS 200 had a bad drive and replaced my unit. The error message appeared by itself with no power interruption or improper card handling. I have never used the recording feature.

Last edited:

BOBRR

Hello,

Looks like I will have to re-format the Micro SD Card in my SDS200
Not too sharp with this "stuff," so please let me ask:

What format do I want, please ?
FAT 32, EXFAT, or...?

Can I use the regular formatting program in Windows, or do I need a special one for this ?

Thanks,
Bob