• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland petitions FCC for waiver to allow data Tx from non-handheld GMRS radios

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
If people want data transmission on GMRS, they should petition the FCC to reallocate an additional 50-100 KHz (up to 8 channels assuming 12.5 KHz bandwidth) of the spectrum in the 462-467 MHz band to GMRS, for use with data only, so as to not interfere with regular voice users. Radios could be manufactured for both types of transmission BUT would be required to only allow transmission of voice on its own channels (channels 1-22) and data on its own channels (23-30, this is just my idea).

Data DOESN'T mean digital voice. The door is open somewhat to digital DATA, but no voice information or trunking on those channels could be transmitted or utilized.

I think what Midland is doing is a step in the right direction, however allowing data on the current channel set would just make GMRS an absolute mess.

Reactions: NC1

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Short bursts of data are already permitted. Garmin Rino units have been doing it for nearly 20 years now.

PTT with data burst should be allowed for GPS location. It's not going to hurt the service, as it's already allowed.

As for running packet? No. Go to the ham bands for that. No reason to pollute the limited resources on GMRS with stuff that can easily be done on the spectrum ham radio is already sitting on. GMRS is NOT ham radio, and doesn't need to be turned into an extension of the ham bands. There's already enough low IQ hams that think their license gives them permission on GMRS, we don't need to add to it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If people want data transmission on GMRS, they should petition the FCC...
A better approach would be to convince Midland, Uniden, Motorola, Garmin, etc., to petition the FCC for changes to the GMRS rules, band plan, etc. I doubt that individual users will be able to convince the FCC to give them the time of day. But, if the radio manufacturers petition the FCC for changes and can convince the FCC of the commercial benefits of their proposals, the FCC might pay attention.

Last edited:

KG7PBS

They did this with MURS and now I can't use a single MURS channel here in Los Angeles. Nothing but an endless stream of data bursts that will drive you crazy. This is not a good idea at all.

that’s why we have DPL/PL tones we can use. Or just flip the Encryption button and go AES-256. That is a joke for the people who don’t know

KG7PBS

Why don't you just use those modes on amateur radio since you already have the license to do so? That is the precisely the service to do all your experimenting, and it is encouraged.
Because I can’t get all my friends and family to get their Ham Tickets

NC1

Because I can’t get all my friends and family to get their Ham Tickets

If that is the case, then they are incapable of grasping the technical details necessary to troubleshoot when something goes wrong, which would probably not be the case if they are using simple analog. Quite honestly, if they don't have the will to get their ham tickets then that is a very convincing point for it to remain analog. The Tech license is so easy to get in all reality, so the GMRS radio service in it's current form is a perfect fit for them.