Mil air over West Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

moustache

I happened upon some mil air activity on 126.2, in the West Point area. The call sign sounded like Shark 11 and Shark 12, along with a Rhino callsign in there. I only heard Shark 11 the clearest, the others came in at times but very faint and mostly unreadable. Then I heard Shark RTB on 132.75 and then over to Stewart Tower on 254.4. I heard nothing from the ground, but thats typical for the terrain in the area. I was wondering if anyone knew what type of craft they were, I know Rhino is typically associated with the F/A-18, but not sure.

D

DaveNF2G

I heard fighters on the AR frequencies last night. I didn't write down any of the callsigns, unfortunately. The usual AR activity is tanker-tanker and tanker-heavy.

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
Need some help.

I am looking to start a feed for Stewart Airport and I am looking for more then just the frequency that are listed. Do you guys have any other frequency that I can put in the scanner i.e. MIL AIR stuff that would make listening a little more fun?

D

DaveNF2G

RRDB? Google? Forum thread searches? You tried all of these and still have NO military freqs for SWF? Hmmmmm.....

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
Dave I have been looking for the last 6 months and I keep on come up with just the frequency for Stewart...I just firgured that you guys might have found some frequency or have any ideas thats all.

I just caught something on 126.2 about landing at the west point helipad, missed the call though. Might have been the parachute team, that is what the frequency is listed as in the database.

Last edited:
There were 4 UH-60 Blackhawks today that I caught on 41.900 FM which I had programmed as Connecticut ARNG Fury Ops, which operates UH-60s. They were using the callsigns Ironhorse 6 and Manatee 14. They were headed to LZ Morgan and they made a few passes then headed off for Camp Smith.
Prior to this I heard Black 6 Romeo talking to White 4 Romeo, White 6 Romeo, Blue 7 Romeo, Red 6 Romeo, and Gold 7 Romeo. I believe Gold 7 Romeo was the UH-60s because Black 6 Romeo (which I believe was the controller said they were breaking down their antenna and to make sure that Gold 7 was at LZ Morgan before 14:30, and they arrived at about 14:28.
I do not know what the other operations were.

Last edited:

lafd55

Just a follow up...
"RHINO" F-18E VF-31, CVW-14, NAS OCEANA
"RHINO" C-5A, 89th AS/445th AW, Wright-Patterson/AFRC
"RHINO" C-5A, 337th AS Westover ARB MA
"RHINO" A-10 303RD FS AFRES WHITEMAN AFB MO

"SHARK" F-16C/D 93rd FS AFRC Homestead FL
"SHARK" F-16C/D 57th FW Weapons School, Nellis AFB NV
"SHARK" C-130H USAF/95AS --USSOUTHCOM
"SHARK" C-130 198th AS PR ANG San Juan PR
"SHARK" C-130J 815th AS AFRC, Keesler AFB MS
"SHARK" C-130H 731st AS AFRC, Peterson AFB, CO
"SHARK" C-130H 130th AS, WVA ANG Charleston WVA
"SHARK" A-10A 23RD Wing, Moody AFB GA
"SHARK" F-16 144th FW, CA ANG at Fresno ANGB
"SHARK" F-15s, Mass ANG BARNES
"SHARK" OPS CP 75TH FS POPE AFB SC

lafd55

I saw 4 blackhawks taking off from ALB Albany International Airport around 11:00 am staying west of the airport heading north, maybe same unit or maybe not, didn't really pay attention to them after they left the area and I wasn't scanning Mil Air only Airport Freqs. And we do have a small aviation group stationed in Albany that has a few blackhawks and 2 new Euros, also saw a Chinook there which seem odd because they are not stationed there. The ones I saw take off today came from a private aviation company pad on otherside of airport.

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Around that time 55 I did see about 4 fighter jets flying in formation over the Hyde Park area, looked like they were flying north.

lafd55

Around that time 55 I did see about 4 fighter jets flying in formation over the Hyde Park area, looked like they were flying north.
I don't think the UH-60s were related to that nor have I heard any fighters around Albany, but then again the could have been flying up to Drum or maybe another Airport north.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I don't think the UH-60s were related to that nor have I heard any fighters around Albany, but then again the could have been flying up to Drum or maybe another Airport north.

Roger. Wasn't sure either but I figured I'd share what I saw incase it helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
The .U.S. Marines also have a hanger and several type of aircraft at Stewart

I think you are incorrect on that. I was there a few weeks ago and did not see any Marine aircraft there at all and I have never known there to be any marines there. It is an Air Force base as far as I know. I do have some pictures from a short distance of the new planes that are there though. I also live in the flightline for Stewart and have never seen any marines there. I have seen some navy jets there to refuel on occassion but thats it. Also if you check with the website AIRNAV it does not show any marine aircraft there either.

Mike
Retired FDNY/EMS
HAZ-TAC

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I think you are incorrect on that. I was there a few weeks ago and did not see any Marine aircraft there at all and I have never known there to be any marines there. It is an Air Force base as far as I know. I do have some pictures from a short distance of the new planes that are there though. I also live in the flightline for Stewart and have never seen any marines there. I have seen some navy jets there to refuel on occassion but thats it. Also if you check with the website AIRNAV it does not show any marine aircraft there either.

Mike
Retired FDNY/EMS
HAZ-TAC

There are indeed Marines at Stewart ANGB. The Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452 (VMGR-452) and Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 49 (MALS-49), to be exact. They've been there since 1988, so this is hardly anything new.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
There are indeed Marines at Stewart ANGB. The Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452 (VMGR-452) and Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 49 (MALS-49), to be exact. They've been there since 1988, so this is hardly anything new.

I stand corrected. I looked it up and wikipedia does state there is a marine air refueling detachment there at Stewart. I apologize for the mistake.

Mike
Retired FDNY/EMS
HAZ-TAC

Status
Not open for further replies.