Milwaukee County / Waukesha County DPW Agencies: VHF, UHF, 800Mhz Conventional or OASIS???

19-685

With the first major snowfall of the season being forecasted, let's discuss the various DPW agencies in the Milwaukee and Waukesha County area, and specifically which radio systems are being used for snowplow operations.

Database lists the following Milwaukee County DPW agencies still having active VHF, UHF and/or 800Mhz Conventional Repeaters.

Most also have talkgroups listed on the OASIS P-25 system.

My question... what is the primary radio system used for snowplow operations by these various DPW agencies?

Cudahy - VHF
Fox Point - VHF
Franklin - UHF
Glendale - VHF
Greendale - VHF
Hales Corners - VHF
Oak Creek - 800Mhz Conventional
River Hills - VHF
Saint Francis - VHF, 2 frequencies listed
Shorewood - VHF
South Milwaukee - VHF
Wauwatosa - VHF listed, haven't heard this active in many years
West Milwaukee - UHF
Whitefish Bay - VHF

Same question for some agencies in Waukesha County...
What is the primary radio system used for snowplow operations by these various DPW agencies?

Butler - VHF
Lisbon - VHF
Menomonee Falls - VHF
Muwonago - VHF (shared with Fire toneout)

Posing the question and asking for any confirmation (recent monitoring or known usage).

Thank you in advance!

19-685

CrabbyMilton

Just study the DPW lists in the DPW section of the respective municipality. Many keep those old conventional frequencies for back up but are seldom used even for that.
Mitchell airport snow crews are all on the OASIS system and are a guaranteed hoot with a lot of funny stuff.

Tim

Feed Provider
Here a few Milwaukee County Updates:

(Glendale) = I've had Uni-Trunker on OASIS for a few weeks now and have seen it being used, but usually Glendale PW has been using TG 2515 on OASIS for snow ops.

(Greendale) = Not sure what they are doing since since Milwaukee county system transitioned to Digital few years back. I lived within a mile of Greendale and never heard them on 155.0850 after the transition

(Hales Corners) = I hear them occasionally on OASIS (TG 2567), not sure if they still use 155.0850 or not.

(Wauwatosa) = They use OASIS (TG's 1093, occasionally TG 1095)

(West Milwaukee) = I heard them on that UHF frequency a few years ago, but I also hear them occasionally on OASIS (TG 1987).

Can report more OASIS usage in the next few days as I plan to keep Uni-Trunker going.

Tim

19-685

Menomonee Falls DPW confirmed on 159.1050 with PL 167.9.

West Milwaukee DPW confirmed on 453.2500, but in DMR mode. Additional monitoring needed for details (CC, Slot, TG).

19-685

Apologies for incorrect information. 453.2500 with CC=3 is Milwaukee County Zoo.

Disregard previous posts for West Milwaukee DPW... will keep searching....

Best regards,
19-685

kodachrome

Premium Subscriber
Greenfield DPW is on the old city SmartNet trunking system. No idea why they didn't pony up for OASIS radios other than cheapness.
Yep...my experience with DPW administrative types is, recurring monthly expenses (i.e., radio subscriber fees) are to be avoided if possible.

I see that system is no longer in the MKE Co database. I hear the control channel, but digital modulation on one of the voice frequencies. Did hear analog on one other.

WNGR327

prowisscan

That digital noise may be from wiscom. The Greenfield wiscom site uses a former frequency of the old smartnet system of 856.4625. Not sure why this site was taken off RR? It is still used with two active agencies; city dpw and parks. It still may also be accessed as a back up for nearby communities as in the past.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
That digital noise may be from wiscom. The Greenfield wiscom site uses a former frequency of the old smartnet system of 856.4625. Not sure why this site was taken off RR? It is still used with two active agencies; city dpw and parks. It still may also be accessed as a back up for nearby communities as in the past.

*edit - site is still in the DB as Greenfield Public works. Not sure that's the right name for it but it's still there.

Last edited: