Milwaukee stuck with $17.5 million radio system that may never work right

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkescan

you said ""The Fire Department also plans to use the digital system, to comply with federal rules adopted after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks."

I simply asked why the fire department can't stay on VHF
Didn't know I had to stay on what the article said.

N

N_Jay

you said ""The Fire Department also plans to use the digital system, to comply with federal rules adopted after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks."

I simply asked why the fire department can't stay on VHF
Didn't know I had to stay on what the article said.

This discussion stems from your "misinformation" statement about that quotation.

As for the reasons for the decision, I don't know. Do you?

mkescan

This discussion stems from your "misinformation" statement about that quotation.

As for the reasons for the decision, I don't know. Do you?

Do you ever reply here at radioreference.com with something people actually care about?
All you seem to want to do is ruin threads, by acting like mr knowitall.
Surprised your not doing spell checks too

N

N_Jay

Do you ever reply here at radioreference.com with something people actually care about?
All you seem to want to do is ruin threads, by acting like mr knowitall.
Surprised your not doing spell checks too

Maybe you can explain how my correcting your statement about misinformation "ruins" the thread any more then your incorrect statement did?

(Unless "ruin" means "Not agree with your opinion"):roll:

EDIT:
Sorry, just noticed it was "Markscan" not "mkescan", but that aside, you do seem to get very bothered when one of your threads does not go your way.:confused:

Last edited:

tencom

From Tencom

EDIT:
Sorry, just noticed it was "Markscan" not "mkescan", but that aside, you do seem to get very bothered when one of your threads does not go your way.:confused:

You hit the nail on the head!

JGP

Mayor or Police Chief or Fire Chief

Can anyone explain the process how a city decides to get a new radio system? Who has the final decision to use it or to end it because it is not working as expected? Is the final decision made by one person (Mayor) , or is it a group of people or departments?

N

N_Jay

Can anyone explain the process how a city decides to get a new radio system? Who has the final decision to use it or to end it because it is not working as expected? Is the final decision made by one person (Mayor) , or is it a group of people or departments?

It all depends.
Every agency can do what they want as long as it fits within their operational, administrative, and legal regulations.

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you can explain how my correcting your statement about misinformation "ruins" the thread any more then your incorrect statement did?

(Unless "ruin" means "Not agree with your opinion"):roll:

EDIT:

Pot calling kettle black...coming from the King of "I am always right":roll:

N

N_Jay

Pot calling kettle black...coming from the King of "I am always right":roll:

Hu?

1) I have NEVER claimed to be always right.
2) I have even admitted to being wrong many times.
3) The comment was supposed "ownership" and "ruining" of threads which I have never claimed either.

Maybe you should study your idioms a little better.
Pot calling the kettle black - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT:
And what do you know?
Another person who has not participated in the thread at all other then to criticise my post (and incorrectly at that).
Maybe I should just report the post, but that is just not my style.

Hmmm, I wonder if his post is typical of what mkescan calls "Ruining his thread"

Last edited:

jackj

Who decides

That depends on the type of government and also on the state's laws regarding bid requirements. In Ohio, most cities have a strong mayor with a city council that has the final say on spending money. They take input from the different department heads as well as the lawyers and make their decision but the council has the final word. As for pulling the plug, I've never seen or heard of a city admitting they made a mistake.

Villages use a city manager type of government. Although they have a mayor, he is basically just the president of the village council. The city manager takes care of day-to-day decisions and has signature authority up to a certain dollar amount (I don't know what that amount is). Spending the funds is handled the same way as cities.

If I'm not mistaken, almost all of the P-25 systems have been funded using grants from the state and federal governments, so grant requirements will also have to be met. Most cities and villages will hire a consultant who will recommend the type of radio system to get as well as handle most of the paper work for the grant. I don't understand why the consultant is exempt from responsibility if his recommended vendor doesn't perform.

mkescan

Milwaukee Police Sgt. suspended without pay for speaking out about Open Sky problems.
Badger Blogger » Blog Archive » Milwaukee PD sergeant suspended for discussing problems with OpenSky

Hopefully not a duplicate thread.

Note: It's the same climate in Oakland County, officers who complain about Open Sky are told their complaints "aren't possible" and to basically shut up and do your jobs.

Howdy Ray, yeah I started a thread here http://forums.radioreference.com/wi...ops-suspened-discussing-opensky-problems.html

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Better be careful. You might end up suspended without pay :p

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
It really is "misinformation" to assert that the fire department is required to move onto a new system to comply with some "rule" enacted after 9/11. This is the same excuse to spend good money after bad, for no improvements.As far as I know, other than narrow banding emissions, and the Nextel rebanding, there is no requirement for anybody to move to P-25, or any other form of digital.

N

N_Jay

It really is "misinformation" to assert that the fire department is required to move onto a new system to comply with some "rule" enacted after 9/11. This is the same excuse to spend good money after bad, for no improvements.As far as I know, other than narrow banding emissions, and the Nextel rebanding, there is no requirement for anybody to move to P-25, or any other form of digital.

But that was not what it said.

It said:
"The Fire Department also plans to use the digital system, to comply with federal rules adopted after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks."

So it does not say the Fire Department is required to move onto a new system ", it just says that they plan to use the digital system to meet the requirements.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
But what are those requirements? The general public doesn't usually have a clue about any of this. I still think it was misinformation, used to justify their actions. Just my opinion.

SCPD

QRT
Put the FD to meet requirement statement with MPD's Chief saying moving to a digital trunking system was manditory by 2013.
That's where your get the FD saying that they are required to move to the system. The PD was told wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.