Mobile Scanner Laws in Ontario

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
Planning a trip to WNY/Southern Ontario this spring. What are the mobile scanner laws in Ontario?

mciupa

It sounds as if there is some leeway provided the scanner is mounted into the dash and not free to pick up in your hands. I've put a government link with those details, plus the penalties that could be imposed if your driving erratic and attract attention to yourself.

"You are allowed to use hands-free wireless communications devices with an earpiece, lapel button or Bluetooth. You can view GPS display screens as long as they are built into your vehicle’s dashboard or securely mounted on the dashboard."

@VA3DBJ can probably chime in regarding Amateur Radio and correct me if I'm wrong about scanners.

hypersight

Planning a trip to WNY/Southern Ontario this spring. What are the mobile scanner laws in Ontario?
You can have a scanner in your vehicle in Ontario. If it's a handheld, just don't get caught holding it when you are driving. Distracted driving laws apply.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
From my recollection, perfectly legal to own and possess in Canada. The Radiocommunications Act is pretty grey in regard to specific legalities. But like others have said, as long as you're not operating while driving and this constitutes distracted driving.

I know there are some people in emergency services who think scanners should be illegal to possess and operate, etc... but that is a whole
other topics for another day, so I digress.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels.

gary123

Like anything else. If you apply a little good sense to your activities no one will be the wiser. IE do not keep showing up at calls.
Do not chase the Emergency vehicles.
Do not park in a parking lot and have the scanner blaring the calls out the window.
Do not talk about what you are hearing.

Stay well back from the calls and enjoy the "being in the know" feeling. Do this and you will not have any issues.

There are no laws in Ontario about having a scanner in a vehicle or even on your belt. The few laws about using scanners (or similar) start kicking in when you disseminate (certain conditions apply) what your hearing, repeat what your hearing or profit from what your hearing.

If you become obnoxious you may leave yourself open to ' obstruct' or 'interference' charges or detainment. Remember LE are not communications experts but they are allowed to act upon the circumstances on reasonable and probable grounds. Some of the larger services have access to the comm center and supervisors.
Some of these supervisors are more aware of the specifics of someone using a scanner. Just remember if your on scene LE are not going to have a discussion with you. They will act as they feel is prudent and sort it out later.
Non of us want to make anyone's life more complicated. Do the right thing and keep a low profile. it will help you and the hobby in general. Too many scanner related incidents is going to be used to justify more and heavier encryption at the minimum.