Monitoring MHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
One great thing about this being a Motorola system is that it means with a 700 MHz capable digital scanner, you can have seamless monitoring from TX through SC. Just a word in advance about the MWIN: MBN, MBI, ABC, and a couple of MHP TG's will be encrypted.

jrainey93

I am in Ripley and i hear both sides really well....Which mhp's base is in my neighboring county but i still hear it really well

nx_2000

Premium Subscriber
Is MHP still using the analog frequencies found in the RR database or have they switched to MSWIN? I live in New Orleans but I am hoping to store the highway patrol in my scanner for the next time I pass through. I see MHP listed under MSWIN in the database but there are only two identified talkgroups.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
Speaking for Northeast Mississippi, yes, MHP still uses Vhf-Low for base to car and car to base 42.16 / 42.24). A UHF Relay (451.550) in Iuka is still used as well.

During our last trip down US-45/I-59/US-49 from Corinth to the Mississippi Gulf Coast in October 2009, Low Band was still king.

H

hog00

Mhp

Roomer has it that the new DPS Commissioner has decided not to move MHP to the MSWIN system. After a study completed by FEMA and and a separate one by CHP, networked 700 - 800 MHZ trunked radio systems are listed as "Very Venerable". The study conducted by Virgina Tech listed all line of sight terrestrial based communications systems as a un-operational during a major earthquake or Hurricane. More information is available on the study at

Mid-America Earthquake Center: News

MHP plans to remain on VHF low-band and enhance the system like CHP has chosen, see link.

CALIFORNIA FIRE NEWS: CHPERS - California Highway Patrol Enhanced Radio System

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
MHP has indeed been supplied with MSWIN gear as has ALL the DPS agencies. They are only installing the gear in NEW vehicles that join the fleet. ALL older vehicles are being phased out and by the time that MSWIN Phase III is complete MHP WILL,.. I repeat WILL be using MSWIN. Anyone that is saying otherwise is spewing disinformation. At least two of our members attend the MWCC meetings, and dutilfully report what is stated OFFICIALLY! As for reports that MHP/DPS is sticking to VHF Low Band because the New Madrid Fault may one day go BOOM, ask anyone with half a brain cell... You will find out that if a big quake hits... It won't matter WHAT band your on as the towers and infrastructure will get hit. You just build in as much redundancy as you can and hope that the fallback on the fallback of the fallback doesn't get killed. And newsflash: Anywhere that gets say a 8.9 to 9.0 quake is going to have real issues no matter what. Just realitly guys.

KM5Wx

can somebody fill me in on MHP current freq. and what the new freq. will be? Thanks

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Currently MHP is still using the samre VHF Lo Band freqs they have been for over thirty years, as well as Hi Band in some counties, and certian TRS's. Once the MSWIN is completed they will fully transition to it.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
I've been reading the treads for MSWIN and it appears that MHP have transitioned to it fully and that it is encripted. Is there any truth to that or am I misreading? I was going to program them in but I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble.

SCPD

QRT
All of MHP's routine dispatches are non-encrypted. I regularly monitor Troops M and C and can say with certainty that I've never heard encrypted traffic on their dispatch or car to car TGs, Pretty sure their special ops TG is encrypted, but that's about it. Wildlife is considerably different, with each region having a tact channel that is fully encrypted. Highly recommend MHP, it's well worth programming, and it's not encrypted.

Last edited:

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
All of MHP's routine dispatches are non-encrypted. I regularly monitor Troops M and C and can say with certainty that I've never heard encrypted traffic on their dispatch or car to car TGs, Pretty sure their special ops TG is encrypted, but that's about it. Wildlife is considerably different, with each region having a tact channel that is fully encrypted. Highly recommend MHP, it's well worth programming, and it's not encrypted.

I live in Hattiesburg but I work in Richland. What frequencies do you recommend to be able to pick them up on my commute along 589 and 49?

Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
Go to RR database and program all MSWIN control channels from Forest, Covington, Simpson and Rankin counties. That should adequately cover that commute. To be safe, you could add CCs for Jones and Jeff Davis counties. Might as well add Hinds Co., too. Best regards.

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
Hey, Hugh. That did it. Works like a champ. Do you know if MHP is still using their conventional channels. I don't want to keep them in the scanner if they aren't being used. I sometimes hear Maint or someone BSing on 541.9000. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

SCPD

QRT
Hey, Hugh. That did it. Works like a champ. Do you know if MHP is still using their conventional channels. I don't want to keep them in the scanner if they aren't being used. I sometimes hear Maint or someone BSing on 541.9000. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.
They pretty much have abandoned the VHF Lo and Hi Band Freqs. during the last year. Occasionally, some of the troopers might use the old private car freq of 42.200, but that's a rare occurrence. But I have noticed that they're continuing to equip new cruisers with the old VHF lo band system, so I'd keep them programmed in for the forseeable future. But unless you have a pretty decent external (mobile) antenna, you won't here much on those old freqs anyway.

Last edited:

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Hugh. I've got a lot to learn. I have a few scanners and i'm working at trying to get them programmed. I got my PRO-106 done and my PRS-800 except for the MHP on that one. I gotta sit down with it and try to figure out why I can't get it to work on that one. I'll get it though. Thanks again for all you help and advice.

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone collecting radio id's for MHP? Is anyone interested in listing them? I've collected a few from J, C, M, and K troops but I'm looking for more.

Thanks

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
For interop purposes with various LEO's, MHP will continue to have VHF low, and high radios. 45.2200, and 155.4900. Especially when you have Counties like Lincoln that have last I heard flat out refused to have naything to do with MSWIN, except for the MEMA part. A lot of other Counties currently can not afford to get on MSWIN, so unless MHP wants to have the phones blowing off the hooks, they need to keep the old bands active. They may not use the 42 MHz anymore, but state high band, and state low bands, are still alive and well. Not to mention no one has found what TG's MHP uses to interop with MDOT E, or the MBI TG's yet.... Most of which will be encrypted. And the MHP Tac's, ERT, and Admin TG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.