Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Systems De-merged

All,

Barring any confirmation that the systems are in fact interconnected with Monroe/Ontario, the Genesee and Orleans systems have been split off as separate systems.

Please help out by submitting talkgroup information for Genesee County, it's looking pretty lonely there.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
I get Genesee dispatch through the conv channels. I have antenna in attic and will switch the p25 setting for Orleans...I
If you have a Phase 2 capable scanner you can listen to Genesee Co. just put it in search ID mode it will work. Then watch the ID's come up and match it with a particular agency.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
All,

Barring any confirmation that the systems are in fact interconnected with Monroe/Ontario, the Genesee and Orleans systems have been split off as separate systems.

Thank you Tom, I think this will be far less confusing for people programming their scanners.

towser

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to all that helped...at least now when I don't get anything it won't be because I didn't program it right!! lol

mciupa

I'm in Rochester this weekend and during some down time, I'm running Unitrunker on the West Simulcast site on the 396XT.

Two unpublished talkgroups I've logged are 1098 and 9705. I'll try and give a listen later, but if anyone knows what the are offhand, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks. :)

AlexC

Database Admin
1098 is Fariport Electric and 9705 is a patch from Fairport Electrics analog system to the trunk. I will try and find out which is the permanent assignment and update the DB as I have time. Thank you.

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
I have a bcd536hp and am having a hard time monitoring the p25 phase 2 system. i get a lot of choppy audio or no audio at all. i live in Greece and even when it shows me full signal strength it will be choppy and inaudible.

i am running an external antenna with rg6 coax to the scanner (about a 75ft run) with a vhf unity antenna on the roof. i have tried a 700/800 laird phantom antenna as well and have gotten the same result.

any other ideas?

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
If this system is only on phase 1 currently, would I be able to program a motorols xts 700/800 to receive this system? Anyone know about these radios? What features would I need enabled?

I am thinking I would only need
Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
Q361: ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking

RF-Burns

The answer is yes it can be done. I have my XTS5000 up and running on Monroe, Orleans, and Ontario, programmed all separate of course. Here are the directions to do it, I warn you if you aren't a master at Motorola Software, I would not attempt.

Do I Need An Advanced System Key?

If this system is only on phase 1 currently, would I be able to program a motorols xts 700/800 to receive this system? Anyone know about these radios? What features would I need enabled?

I am thinking I would only need
Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
Q361: ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
I will admit I am a newbie when it comes to digital trunking. We work with conventional analog currently. This potential transition to 700/800 phase 2 is opening my world to an entire new beast. I am pretty familiar with Motorola CPS. Let me read up on these articles and reply back shortly. Thanks guys.

RF-Burns

In order to program an XTS radio, you must have a program to generate a system key (That's all I will say about that topic) you must also have Depot Software which again is a no no to talk about here on RR com.

I will admit I am a newbie when it comes to digital trunking. We work with conventional analog currently. This potential transition to 700/800 phase 2 is opening my world to an entire new beast. I am pretty familiar with Motorola CPS. Let me read up on these articles and reply back shortly. Thanks guys.

KA1RBI

The "simulcast digital distortion" wiki article is a joke. (The problem is known to be caused by the way that all current digital scanners FM-demodulate the signal. FM demodulation is incompatible with "CQPSK" due to the presence of "AM" components, which cause the FM demodulator to output random values during the portion of the time when the transmitter is running at (almost) zero amplitude).

The issue was solved long ago in OP25. It's possible to achieve good reception on these CQPSK systems using nothing more than a PC and a $20 RTL USB stick... You can find many success reports from users in this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/so...-virtualbox-project-run-op25-windows-7-a.html

Max

RF-Burns

That's great if you want to sit in front of your computer all day or broadcast it to the world on Broadcastify. Some of us like a radio in hand to go with us and our everyday lives. Sorry but I'm not dragging my PC with me everywhere I go. Get a real radio, take time to learn the Motorola CPS and the tricks found online and years of enjoyment will be had with perfect audio and far better reception than any scanner on the market

The "simulcast digital distortion" wiki article is a joke. (The problem is known to be caused by the way that all current digital scanners FM-demodulate the signal. FM demodulation is incompatible with "CQPSK" due to the presence of "AM" components, which cause the FM demodulator to output random values during the portion of the time when the transmitter is running at (almost) zero amplitude).

The issue was solved long ago in OP25. It's possible to achieve good reception on these CQPSK systems using nothing more than a PC and a $20 RTL USB stick... You can find many success reports from users in this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/so...-virtualbox-project-run-op25-windows-7-a.html

Max

KA1RBI

That's great if you want to sit in front of your computer all day or broadcast it to the world on Broadcastify. Some of us like a radio in hand to go with us and our everyday lives. Sorry but I'm not dragging my PC with me everywhere I go. Get a real radio, take time to learn the Motorola CPS and the tricks found online and years of enjoyment will be had with perfect audio and far better reception than any scanner on the market

100% true. The /\/\ tricks and hacks (if properly applied) can make a commercial radio into a first class "scanner". It does require a PC for initial radio setup. After reading the postings on how to do it long ago, it looked to me that "no affiliate" was the only reasonable option. All in all no doubt that a genuine vendor radio is going to have the best "sound". Part of this has to do with vendor-proprietary "extensions", secret sauces that are not part of the official published P25 standards.

I'll just note a few points
1) I can buy a lot of RTL USB sticks for the price of one actual system/agency radio
2) My favorite thing about them is there are no worries about undesired RF transmission
3) anyone can download apps nowadays that stream these audio feeds. (i prefer the form-factor of my moto-droid to that of the moto-xts series)
4) the original point of the post though was about the "digital simulcast distortion" wiki. It might help to nudge the scanner makers if their customers knew the right thing to ask for - that wiki article is 100% unhelpful for that.....

Max

D

DaveNF2G

Status
Not open for further replies.