• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola ADP Encryption and the BK KNG-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

com501

I haven't heard it, I haven't seen it, we are a BK/Relm dealer, and I haven't seen ANY product literature indicating such, so again, SHOW ME. I didn't get time to call yesterday, perhaps today, and I will see if I can get an official word from the factory.

RodStrong

I haven't heard it, I haven't seen it, we are a BK/Relm dealer, and I haven't seen ANY product literature indicating such, so again, SHOW ME. I didn't get time to call yesterday, perhaps today, and I will see if I can get an official word from the factory.

Sorry you haven't heard it yet. Hopefully you will find out soon. Good luck.

hitechRadio

Trolling it appears, back up your claim. Your not adding to the conversation.

It was mentioned that BK could of reverse engineered moto ADP to be compatible with Moto. I imagine the Moto Lawyers would be all over that pretty quick.

BK could have something like ADP, but unless licensed it is not talking to a moto.

But then again you never know!

"Relm Wireless Corporation Engineers over a weekend incorporated the RC4 algorithm into the code of the BK Radio branded KNG Series Radio, and came to find out that the KNG Series radio was interoperable with the Motorola APX series radios that are espousing a proprietary ADP encryption. There is nothing proprietary about it, other than possibly the name ADP, which I doubt since this acronym is used by other manufacturers for other applications.

Relm Wireless took the KNG Series radio to Harris County, Texas and had Harris County verify that the KNG Series radio was interoperable with the Motorola APX7000 using ADP encryption."

Last edited:

com501

OK, so here goes. I don't have a radio here yet to try this on, but as soon as I do, I will.

In the KAA0732 software for the KNG, there is now a field to enter 8 sets of 40 bit encryption very much like the entry fields for the ADP software. BK calls it RCE Encryption.

I bite my tongue and retract my statement at this point, pending an actual field test. It is NOT in any of the product literature yet.

com501

EFJ was in bed with Moto pretty good. BK and EFJ were very tight as well. I wouldn't think it too far out of the possibility that BK would work a deal with them.

According to RELM, they did NOT work a deal, they engineered it themselves, and they are very studiously NOT calling it ADP.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
According to RELM, they did NOT work a deal, they engineered it themselves, and they are very studiously NOT calling it ADP.

I'd be willing to bet they didn't engineer it themselves, I'd put money on their contract engineering firm doing it...but I could be wrong.

com501

It could be gnomes at the North Pole or the dead ghost of Gary Kessler (may he rest in peace), but at this point it makes little difference, they have it. The question has been answered I believe to everyone's satisfaction and the thread should be closed.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The problem is that 'Yes' isn't an overly helpful answer. A little detail and reference would have helped considerably.

Lets not forget the MotoTRBO Enhanced Privacy was also deemed Moto specific, yet Hytera radios can now do it (I have it working in mine). So I suppose anything is possible... Many people bash ADP for being a weak cipher, but in my view that's the role it was designed for. Quick, cheap encryption just to keep the masses out, not hide national secrets.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Many people bash ADP for being a weak cipher, but in my view that's the role it was designed for. Quick, cheap encryption just to keep the masses out, not hide national secrets.

The real issue with ADP is a lack of it being a standard. If Relm/BK is building something "compatible" and didn't pay Motorola, then they are taking a huge risk. Could be why they aren't publishing it on their slick sheets. Of course, Motorola Solutions doesn't seem to be really aggressively pursuing their intellectual property rights like they use to be.

The number of "heroes" using stolen depot software to crank out "seller refurbished" junk pail APX/XTS/XTL radios and selling them on eBay is proof of this.

RodStrong

The problem is that 'Yes' isn't an overly helpful answer. A little detail and reference would have helped considerably.

Actually, I PM'd the OP and explained how I know about it and some background info, so he's squared away. But thanks for chiming in. Happy Holidays.

sfd119

Actually, I PM'd the OP and explained how I know about it and some background info, so he's squared away. But thanks for chiming in. Happy Holidays.

...which does nothing to benefit the rest of the people reading this thread now, next week, and next year.

com501

That is the most back handed non-helpful answer I have read here in a long while. Its akin to: I'm better than you and deem to not answer your question publicly because I'm royalty and don't need to.

I would like to thank all the others who chimed in here, and I for one, learned something, even if I had to reach out to my dealer rep and call back east to the factory myself to get the skinny. Now we all know, instead of only one person in some anonymous PM.

Have a day. ^-^

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
My portion of the PM was telling the other user that our department is still in the decision making process about which route to take with encryption as it applies to our tactical comms and such. Really not much more to the conversation than that. Sh*t got busy, and I didn't have a chance to reply in public forum yesterday. It was never my intention to leave anyone in the dark.

RodStrong

That is the most back handed non-helpful answer I have read here in a long while. Its akin to: I'm better than you and deem to not answer your question publicly because I'm royalty and don't need to.

I would like to thank all the others who chimed in here, and I for one, learned something, even if I had to reach out to my dealer rep and call back east to the factory myself to get the skinny. Now we all know, instead of only one person in some anonymous PM.

Have a day. ^-^

Yes of course. Season's Greetings to everyone here.

MattSR

ADP is nothing more than RC4, of which there is a freely available variant called ARC4. ARC4 works fine to decode ADP.

ADP is nothing more than a trademark, the algorithm can't be patented as RSA already had the patent to the real RC4, and ARC4 is free.

Anyone can implement it without fear - just as long as they don't call it ADP...

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I know this is an old thread , but I can confirm that the rce encryption does not play with Motorola adp.
Just setup a few motorolas with adp and a bk radio kng.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Really? I'm surprised by that. My Harris radio with ARC4 (or encryption lite as they like to call it) works just great with Moto radios.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I know this is an old thread , but I can confirm that the rce encryption does not play with Motorola adp.
Just setup a few motorolas with adp and a bk radio kng.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Then you have a programming mistake somewhere as a few months ago I was able to easily get ADP working on both a KNG-P800 and a KNG2-P800 on the Moto P25 system I help maintain/manage.

MXXFLrw.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.